Fishing can be so so cruel........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

I might have a go for the tench tonight as its very windy and where I fish for the carp has zero shelter and the wind (23mph forecast) will be right in my face so wouldnt be very enjoyable.

Newt....yes maybe a change of bait, but I have tried worms, maggots and sweetcorn all of which tench are supposed to like.

I know tench are supposed to feed best at first light but its not possible to do that here. I'm wondering if in this particular pool they rarely feed at all at night? Sure has me stumped given how everyone else is suggesting what a good year for tench fishing it is!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have tench in the US and we caught so many different species when we visited the UK last year that I'm not positive which was what.

However, if memory serves, Vagabond put us on a swim using cockles for bait and they did well. I'm almost certain the fish were tench. We fed lightly with bits of the same as we used for bait.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

I had another go for the tench tonight but no joy.

Started off with 5 maggots on a number 10 and picked up a 16.5lb carp after just 10 minutes. From then on it was VERY quiet. Switched to worm near the end and took a couple of bream and close to packing up time I think a hooked into another big carp.........felt very heavy but lost it shortly after its first run.

Not checked the weather report for tomorrow yet so not sure what and where I will fish yet!

Guest Brumagem Phil

One or two of you may have noticed I started a thread, asking about worms!

We have a compost bin which gets lots of melon rind, egg shells and various other kitchen waste. The amount of worms in this bin is astonishing!!!

I decided to use these trusty worms on the carp pool.....my logic was that carp will take worm, but so will just about every other type of fish so at least I could avoid the dreaded dry net even if I didn't catch one of my elusive carp!!

Monday night I used purely the small redworms from the compost heap. I put 3 on a number 10 hook and stopped them falling of by using a single maggot. I took 6 bream which was a decent result I thought.

On tuesday night I took 5 bream to lob worm but the rod knocks and twitches suggested I missed lots of potential fish.

Tonight I decided to set up a float on the one rod to try and pick up some of the shy bites.........the tactic failed miserably and I blanked!!! (no touches on the feeder either)

Clearly much more still to learn! Still, the carp remain elusive.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :wallbash::rolleyes:

Went fishing this evening (just for a change) and targetted the carp again.

I spotted a carp roll in a spot I dont normally fish but is very close to my usual spot so decided to give the spot a go. Its a tricky peg as its rarely used so lots of brambles and the ground is a bit steep too (I slipped tonight and winded myself which wasnt pleasant).

There are some reedy type weeds in the 'corner' to my right and these are normally not available to the fish but with the rains we've had, they are this year and my eyes nearly popped out my head when I counted about 10 nice big carp swimming in these reeds!! :thumbs:

I decided to flick a feeder out to my left under a tree close in to try and ambush any carp moving betweent he reeds and another weed bed, and use a float to try and stalk individual carp.

Now I knew this was gonna be hard as they were spawning so decided the only thing a carp might take was a big fat lob worm so I gave it a go.

About half an hour passed and no joy, but then 4 carp gatecrashed the swim BIG TIME......they might as well have been wrestling!! They were pinned together and came charging through the reeds almost beaching themselves. 3 commons and one mirror, with one of the commons noticably larger than the others (high double at a guess). Anyway, they changed direction and headed straight for my float............I couldnt get it out the water fast enough and something was hooked (foul hooked more than likely) and off it tore! It was going straight through the weeds heading straight for a sunken tree. I couldn't risk letting him get under there so grabbed the spool and fought it 'toe to toe'............it snapped me up unfortunately! :cry:

That kinda trashed my swim a bit and it didnt have quite as many visitors after that. I tried and tried to tempt what came though, even changing hooks to a big number 6 so I could put 3 BIG lobs on at the same time to try and tempt em but they were not having a bar of it.

Amazing how many were in the long grass around the corner too! Its not fishable there, but I might go wading tomorrow evening with a big specimen net and see if I can grab a few for a quick viewing.

Still, all was not lost, the left hand rods baitrunner went off at one point resulting in the capture of this MONSTER!!! All 1lb of him! :rolleyes:

post-7401-1180058685_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil, this not a go at you, just a question that puzzles me.

Why do you target fish that you know are spawning?

They're preoccupied and unlikely to take a bait, and so tightly packed that you are likely (as you did) foul hook them.

After all, if you were 'at it', (and only got the urge once a year) and someone waved a plate of fish and chips at you, would you stop for a bite? :unsure:

Or worse still, at the point of climax, someone scooped you up in a big net, and cut you short. :headhurt:

I'm sorry mate, but as much as I enjoy reading your 'blog', (and I really do :thumbs: ). I just don't understand why you do this.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Brumagem Phil

As stated before, these 2 weeks are one of the few times in the year that the carp in this pool are catchable due to their scarcity, and I do catch them legitimately during this period.

I've never actually seen such frenetic activity like I did last night. On the way home I popped by another large pool which only has one decent reed bed and it was seething with fish...........again, never seen so many in this area in previous years.

Well, keeps me from mugging old ladies anyway! <_<

However, if memory serves, Vagabond put us on a swim using cockles for bait and they did well. I'm almost certain the fish were tench.

Yep, and here's Newt with a tench to prove it.

newtstenchox2.jpg

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Catch (by whatever means even if it seems unusual to you), photograph, release unharmed, and all should be well.

In the grand order of things, right.

However, some of the "whatever means" are, strictly speaking, illegal at most UK freshwater venues - like nets, unless used "as an adjunct to fishing with rod and line" - and I'm not having a go at anyone either - don't shoot the messenger :) .

Now, Phil, about these tench - I've just read through the posts, and (correct me if I'm wrong) you apparently have yet to catch one.

My first reaction was "are there any there ?", but you say there are supposed to be shedloads. So let's assume there are tench there.

Try an early morning session, when the tench should be in the margins. That is, before anyone comes stomping round and spooks the tench out of the margins. Select a swim where the water is about two or three feet deep with some flags (irises) or some other plants growing in the water.

Bait up with chopped worm, maggot, chopped whelk or cockles (or any combination). Fish one of those baits on the hook "lift method" RIGHT NEXT TO THE PLANT STEMS ie less than six inches from them.

There was plenty of (conflicting ^_^ ) advice on the "lift" in answer to your thread of April 30th

I use a small quill float that takes two BB - the lower one just two inches from the hook - adjust depth so that the bait is just touching bottom.

Sit quietly -

watch the plant stems for movement (which will be caused by tench or carp pushing amongst them or pecking water snails, grubs etc from the stems)

watch for groups of tiny bubbles.

watch for "boils" coming to the surface indicating fish movements below - if you are lucky you might see a black tail bobbing up and down as a tench feeds in the vertical position "bouncing on their heads" as I call it.

I don't have to tell you where to cast if you see any of the above :thumbs:

Post up a close-up of the swims you fish - that might help us to help you get a tench.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...