Fishing can be so so cruel........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Spoken by a man who said to me, "take this rod I have rigged, bait the hook with this thing, bait that spot with this mix, throw into that spot, strike just so, and catch a species you have never seen before except in photos."

I did and it worked so I have to say he knows whereof he speaks. Jan & I had several tench that morning and a number of bites we missed due to poor technique.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brumagem Phil

Wow, excellent input guys!

Love the stalking gear you are wearing newt! B)

I'll take a few pics so you can see where I fish. There are non of that type of reed on this pool, but there are some on the carp pool and a fellah the other day said there are tench in there too but he had no idea how many. I'll take a piccy or two of that swim too.

Guest Brumagem Phil

As requested, here is a few pics.........

pic 1 (the one with a swan) is a pic of the carp pool in an area where the carp are spawning in the long grass type weeds in the far right of the pic. My usual fishing area here is more to the left between two normal weed beds.

pic2....looking over the swans head in pic1 right to the bottom of the the left corner of the lake and you find the vantage point to take a pic looking to the far right corner. These reeds are growing in the wire and stone 'boxes' which form the strength at the end of the pool.

pic3 is the distant point of pic 2 (ie the far right corner looking over the swans head) these reeds look a bit sick this year but are normally fit and green and sit in over waist deep water.

pic4 is one of the tench swims on the tench pool. I've only fished this once but despite how good it looks, I didnt have a single bite.

pic5 is the second tench swim on the tench pool..........its only about 15 yds to the right of the swim in pic4. The tree to the right is the spot here and always ends with fish! (bream and carp mainly but no tench) Its deep though and goes from welly deep near the edge to chest deep just under that over hanging tree to the right.

pic6 is another 25 yds to the right of pic5..........the water is waist deep near the edge and 10 ft out is chest wader deep next to the weeds. Again it disappointed but in the end yielded a few roach and bream but no carp and no tench.

pic7 is looking diagonally across the corner toward pic5 (the tree trunk slighty to the upper right of centre in the pic marks the swim in pic5) I've not fished this swim but again it looks very tenchy.

Hope these help in some way.

eeeek, 5.12am..........time to get some shut eye!!! Nite.

post-7401-1180410314_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1180410375_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1180410414_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1180410439_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1180410479_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1180410555_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1180410601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Looks like a great place Phil, wouldn't mind having a bash there !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Beautiful lake Phil and it does look like it would be great fun to fish.

Is it microscopic algae that has the water so colored? If so, is that a 'Spring' thing or will it retain the color year around?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

Its actually two pools newt. The first 3 pics are the carp pool and the other 4 are my tench haunt!

Not sure about the colour..........it does kinda look like cloudy algae but my guess is with fish all thrashing around at the moment that perhaps some of it is just stirred up seddiment? Good question though and perhaps someone else might have an idea. It is a bit more coloured now than usual though.

Hi I've been enjoying this thread so I'd thought I'd share some thoughts for the tench...

With the issue with the float moving about without going under, try the lift method that way the float will either pop up of go under which ever way the fish swims!

As for the tench, it sounds like you are doing the right sort of things! I wonder if the tench just don't feed until dawn. I've fished more than one lake where you don't get a bite until well after midnight, the the peak in feeding around dawn.

What do you think?

Rich

Try an early morning session,

I wonder if the tench just don't feed until dawn.

I think we are telling you to set your alarm for 4 am Phil :rolleyes::rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Phil, that looks like a fabulous place to fish. I'm very jealous!

I've been following this thread since you started it, and have enjoyed reading all about your exploits. I will be SO disappointed when you finally land that tench and deprive us of all this anticipation!

Janet

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks JSD.......don't forget after the tench there are my elusive carp in the carp pool (did you like the two I stalked with a net? Their mouths were 100% pristine which is the kind of carp I like!) and there are some BIG perch in there too so I'll be grovelling to Steve Burke to lend me some of his knowledge on that one soon, so I doubt if this blog will go quiet till late autumn when the fish tuck themselves up in the warm for the winter!

Ah, richard and vagabond.........hmmmm, mornings!!! I don't get on well with mornings! LOL :headhurt:

What I might do here is wait till mid june when we are near the longest day and then go around midnight and fish till perhaps 5am and see how I go then. Don't forget I shouldnt really be fishing here so I need to be gone by the time the first dog walkers come around really.

How does that sound as a plan?