Strangest Catch

Chris Plumb

Jesus, bags of kittens, really??

Be honest Chris, did you pretend to play the pan like a banjo? I'm pretty sure I would have.

I've never caught anything that odd but yesterday at dusk I did reel in to find that I was attatched to the biggest Bullhead I've ever seen! It was 11cm long. When Rich emails me the pics I'll put them up here. I seem to remember you caught a whopper Chris, how big was that one? I didn't weigh it but I suppose this one was about 2-3oz!

I won't give away the location or the banks will be lined with Bullhead glory hunters all bivvied up spodding out chopped worm and getting drunk...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did reel in to find that I was attatched to the biggest Bullhead I've ever seen! It was 11cm long. When Rich emails me the pics I'll put them up here. I seem to remember you caught a whopper Chris, how big was that one? I didn't weigh it but I suppose this one was about 2-3oz!

That is big! Mine was 9.8cm from snout to root of tail - and here's what Vagabond said about it at the time....

"BTW Chris Plumb Your bullhead was off my scale!

However, a 2" bullhead weighs just over 2 drams, a 3" bullie goes to 6.75 drams

By extrapolation a bullhead of 98 mm (3.86") would weigh 14.5 drams - so you were pretty close to the British Record

....and you quote "to the root of the tail" whereas the above measurements are from snout to tail tip - so your liggie might have been bigger still."

The British Record is an ounce!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Jesus, bags of kittens, really??

I too caught a sack with a couple of dead kittens in it from the Leeds & Liverpool canal many years ago. I didn't know what it was until I cut it open. :yucky:

Condoms were often hooked on the Calder below Cooper bridge and the sewage works, not nice. :yucky:

I once pulled a policeman out of the L&L canal, but he doesn't count, it wasn't on rod and line. :(

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This wasn't really a catch, more a foul hooking incident.....

I was wading around some weedy margins, harassing pike with lures, when I spotted what appeared to be a small treasure chest. Being the curious fellow that I am, I proceeded to hook and pull it to the surface for closer inspection. Upon doing so, the lid popped off said "treasure chest" to reveal some pebbles and a little plastic bag full of sludge - which was causing a shiny oil slick on top of the water, around my bare legs.

The little brass plaque on the lid was scribed "Mary MacDonald 19XX - 1993"

Feeling somewhat guilty after disturbing someones final resting place and disgusted at being covered in dead person slick, I quickly put the urn back together and re-sunk it.

I don't fish there anymore.....

That is big! Mine was 9.8cm from snout to root of tail - and here's what Vagabond said about it at the time....

"BTW Chris Plumb Your bullhead was off my scale!

However, a 2" bullhead weighs just over 2 drams, a 3" bullie goes to 6.75 drams

By extrapolation a bullhead of 98 mm (3.86") would weigh 14.5 drams - so you were pretty close to the British Record

....and you quote "to the root of the tail" whereas the above measurements are from snout to tail tip - so your liggie might have been bigger still."

The British Record is an ounce!

C.

An ounce, really? Damn! My measurement isn't as accurate as yours, I lined it up with my left index finger and memorised where the tail came to (just below a handy old scar) and measured it later, plus it was to the tip, not the root, of the tail. So the proper measurement would be nearer 10cm.

If it was a record I'm really gutted, I'd be so excited to hold the bullhead record!

PS it was big enough to smallow a size 8 hook and 3 worms... (it was returned OK).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If it was a record I'm really gutted, I'd be so excited to hold the bullhead record!

PS it was big enough to smallow a size 8 hook and 3 worms... (it was returned OK).

You'll just have to borrow Dennis Flack's scales and go back and catch it again!! :rolleyes:

I always think that Bullheads are like the Tardis - bigger on the inside! :D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've hit bats dozens of times whilst fly-fishing late at night but never actually hooked one. Other than that, I've caught kittens, a mannequin, which was quite scary till I realised it wasn't a dead body, various footwear, bags, shopping trolleys, a complete fishing rod/reel, complete with end tackle, dead fish, dead birds, whole collections of lures, a dead sheep which was nice. It was bloated and purple and kinda see-thru because the skin was so taught from decomposition. It didn't smell like a mutton sandwich at all..MMMMM. I've also hooked into an Alsatian pup (dead) which had its paws taped up. I was quite upset. Bas****s!!
crickey :o where do you go fishing?do you ever catch any fish?,or do you just catch dead animals?did you really catch a dead body?

I tell you what If Andy McFarlane asks me to go fishing with him I think I might politely decline

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

i have caught a bat ,cought it in the wing (i believe they use them to knock their prey into their mouths) funny little things and a "martin" that crashed dived into the pond dipping for water in a landing net.

i held it in my hand letting it dry and was surprised how light they are ,you couldn't actually feel any weigh in your hand ,it happily sat on the bank drying out until i disturbed it landing a fish when it clumsily took off and joined its mates.

another night my heron went off (showing my age now) i struck and strangely the line went up then straight up,yup mr duck had taken my bait landed that fairly easily (but noisily as the rest spooked) only to be broken by a goose the next day.

caught a chap opposites line and saw his rod go in as i pulled ,i cut the line and looked the other way :whistling:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

caught a chap opposites line and saw his rod go in as i pulled ,i cut the line and looked the other way :whistling:

This would have been funnier still if you'd both been at spots where you couldn't quite see each other ... and some decent strength line on ... good ol' tug-o-war match.

Regards,

Sean A

... that one won't get away again!