The decline of fishing clubs.

terry t shirt

We have some fine clubs in my area, most offering some excellent fishing. Always surprises me when I hear people complaining about the subs and then those self same people happily blow five or ten pounds at a commercial mud hole!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some excellent clubs in my area, and there were also some good ones accessible from SW London where I used to live, and very good ones in Norfolk where I grew up. If there weren't any worth joining near me I'd renew my subscription to my old club in Surrey and put up with the driving - or apply for a Wingham ticket :D

Anything but carp puddles!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Some of my local clubs are trying to compete with the commercials by increasing the stocking densities on existing fisheries, or even creating very heavilly stocked puddles.

What do Forum members think of this? Should clubs try to be different, or should they go the way of the commercials?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I am member of two clubs in the NorthEast and I admit that I do not and will not attend meetings of either of them. There are two reasons for this; 1) I am a non smoker and refuse to sit in a room for two hours when I cannot see the other side of it for cigarette smoke. 2) The one and only time that I got involved in the clubs politics was enough to put me off ever having anything to do with meetings and commitees for the rest of my life. I did contribute to one of the clubs for a couple of years by being a water watcher and going out two or three times a week checking club cards and licences. But for varying reasons including club politics and the rising cost of petrol I no longer do that.

Both clubs are extremely good value for money and my total annual membership costs less than half a dozen trips to the Angel of the North.

A Hammond

In my surrounding areas there are a number of very good traditional angling clubs,most if not all with a good mix of River and still water fishing.

The memberships per year after paying the initial joining fee are all under £100.00 some as low as £45.00 representing excellent value for the facilities offered.

They often have a waiting list but generally no more than one season.

I enjoy my clubs traditional approach to our type of mixed fishing,although one complex is becoming Carp orientated.

To answer Steves point should my club decide that it wished to spend our annual income on the development of so called Carp Puddles i would vote against such a move at our AGM,if that failed i would find another club.

:thumbs::sun:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I was on its waiting list for over 4 years to become a member of one of my clubs. I won't/didn't forget to renew my membership....

Paul

Some of my local clubs are trying to compete with the commercials by increasing the stocking densities on existing fisheries, or even creating very heavilly stocked puddles.

What do Forum members think of this? Should clubs try to be different, or should they go the way of the commercials?

Don't see it as a problem as long as the club doesn't do this to all thier waters! Nothing wrong with a club adding a match/carp type lake to a varied club book, but I wouldn't be too impressed by a club that filled up every water they own with F1s and ruined a whole load of quality mixed fisheries!

I've just joined a club here in essex, www.bdac.co.uk. - visted 4 of thier waters so far and impressed with them all, nice mix of speci type carp waters, couple of match/carp waters, and some traditional mixed fisheries, incuding several stretches of river. I spent a very pleasant afternoon this saturday while everyone else was watching the football catching some quality roach from a farm resevoir!

Mat

Mat

I agree, as long as their is a lake and/or stretch of river that is 'normal' I think it's OK for a club to have an over stocked hole - This can be a real money earner if it can be hired out to other clubs for matches, great to fund conservation on other venues...

I go with you on that one Matthew, what a club wants a club should have! Just not my idea of fishy fun though!

An overstocked, featureless fishery and Thurrock Lakeside have a great deal in common. Not least that you either love 'em, or hate 'em, and I hate 'em!

Guest Jan of the 2 Ghillies
I agree, as long as their is a lake and/or stretch of river that is 'normal' I think it's OK for a club to have an over stocked hole - This can be a real money earner if it can be hired out to other clubs for matches, great to fund conservation on other venues...

I have to agree with Peter (fancy that). Sounds like this would talk all the fun and sportsmanship out of fishing. I wouldn't be satisfied with my catches.