WHITBY STILL THE TOP COD PORT

big_cod

Maidstone mike one man said he has 40 cod on tuesday with me ,he was the best man a very good angler and is a regular with me but what you say about 400lb of cod harming cod stocks as i have said before we dont even scratch the surface ,there was 3 pair teams working near me on tuesday what they must have been catching is nobodys buisness in numbers of fish there is probably 1000 times more going back over the side each day in discards, one pair team just the other day had over 2000 stone of fish for a 4hour tow and got only 400stone of fish out of the hall the rest went back over the side now these fish are undersize just how many fish is that frightning isnt it ,just to say we had a very good day yesterday but not quite as much as the day before also we had a lady on board she must have had about 15 cod.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tuggs:

no offence taken @autumn@ :)

sorry, bit busy tonight so not posting or reading much... my site gone down and now pulling our hair out with the database and php and sql and whatever flipping letters are involved :(

back on track.... no not joking, going to give it a go this year i think :) i know of some good possible marks, just need the beasties around and the weather :D

Ever tried water skiing Tuggs

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest jay_con

big_cod:

Maidstone mike one man said he has 40 cod on tuesday with me ,he was the best man a very good angler and is a regular with me but what you say about 400lb of cod harming cod stocks as i have said before we dont even scratch the surface ,there was 3 pair teams working near me on tuesday what they must have been catching is nobodys buisness in numbers of fish there is probably 1000 times more going back over the side each day in discards, one pair team just the other day had over 2000 stone of fish for a 4hour tow and got only 400stone of fish out of the hall the rest went back over the side now these fish are undersize just how many fish is that frightning isnt it ,just to say we had a very good day yesterday but not quite as much as the day before also we had a lady on board she must have had about 15 cod.

Big Cod im interested in what you say about discards off Whitby. In another topic on here recently Wurzel asked a question about why discards are still so high as He thought as do I that larger mesh sizes were meant to stop the catching of such numbers of small fish, why is this still happening?????

"He thought as do I that larger mesh sizes were meant to stop the catching of such numbers of small fish, why is this still happening?????"

Almost without exception when I frightened a shoal of fish whilst diving they all took of in the same direction.

At a guess when they come up against the net they all veer off away from it, which at a rough guess would be into the centre of the net not through the mesh.

I know it has little to do with trawling but it is a sound observation.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Ken you are right mate its the volume of fish the mesh size isnt as affective as you would think,

And also the weight of the codend is very heavy compared to the trawls used in the past,

We were out yesterday an excellent days fishing again plenty of cod up 10lb but now the weather is breaking we wont be able to get out to the 20mile stream to where we have been working but the weather in the last three days here has be tremendous not a breath i dont think that happened in summer for three days on the trot,but the tides are now on the way down and the inshore wrecks next week should fish well for cod a northerly is forcast for tuesday next week that may stir it up but lets hope they are wrong as usuall.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg