chub?

***Simon***

This site really needs an "ignore this poster" button!

It has that facility, under 'My Controls'.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very similar thread on the Maggotdrowners forum boards

Could (simple) Simon also be 'river roamer'?

Steve B; I would keep my head down on the no licence thing. :headhurt: I can still remember two bearded chubbers fishing the Cherwell without a licence one Saturday in 1987. Something about a tackle shop in Kiddlington running out of the 7 day Thames licence. :cc_surrender: ( I did have a Yorkshire, Northumbria, Anglian and North West though) I played safe and fished the Gt Ouse on the Sunday :)

Edited by wearyone

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

I've been fishing the rivers of England since I was 4 years old (currently 39), and it's always bugged the hell out of me that I've got pay for a fishing license at all.

I pay a small fortune in income tax, and I don't see why fishing the rivers of our country can't be a free pursuit (a bit like owning a dog).

I guess the Government see people enjoying themselves and start registering pound signs ... well sod 'em, good luck to you Simon

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I've been fishing the rivers of England since I was 4 years old (currently 39), and it's always bugged the hell out of me that I've got pay for a fishing license at all.

I pay a small fortune in income tax, and I don't see why fishing the rivers of our country can't be a free pursuit (a bit like owning a dog).

I guess the Government see people enjoying themselves and start registering pound signs ... well sod 'em, good luck to you Simon

WHORMS `A TELL YA WHORMS...... E`S OPN`D A GEET CAN O` `EM!!!

Get ya safety gear on. :blink::blink:

Well I supose its that time of year.....time for the annual should we have to buy a rod licence debate!

I have no problem with the concept of all anglers paying a bit for a service which benifits them.My problem is that I feel that the EA doesnt provide the service it should,in many areas.If it was a case of a lack of money I wouldnt get so fed up with them.It is more the fact that they waste the money we have to pay them.I wont bang on about it as you will no doubt have your own opinions.

But what do you thinks more important/better spent money,that useless annual "news letter" (which is in most cases not even relevant to your area) or recieving a copy of the rules and bylaws (preferabley printed on your licence any way) ?

Spending money trying to persuade Asian women to take up fishing or policing our waters to ensure that the rules and regs arnt being broken?

Changing their name every decade or so (along with all the associated expense of re-sign writing vehichles etc,new paper work etc,new uniforms etc etc et bleedin cetra!!) or actually supplying good emergency fish rescue/disease research/or anything else really that would practically benifit us the mugs who pay year in and year out for a pretty pi$$ poor service.

I sit on a Fisheries Advisory Committee and can assure you it aint the EA boys at grass roots level who are the problem.They find all of the points Ive raised above equally frustrating.

So what do we do? Certainly not that stupid 2 week boycott proposed recently by AT,s man Kieth Arthur,although at least Keith made the issues known through a national angling publication and tried to come up with a source of action that would make our (anglers) concerns and frustrations known.

So what do we do? I say again.I dont know and Ive yet to hear/read anything feasable.Very hard to object against something that the law requires you to have to do something you want to!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So what do we do? I say again.I dont know and Ive yet to hear/read anything feasable.Very hard to object against something that the law requires you to have to do something you want to!

1. Legislation to ring-fence all monies from angling violations - license, rods, no permit, etc. Monies to be used for expanding and then formalizing the new program.

2. Trial period (say 2 years) in a limited geographical area of using sworn law enforcement officers either in lieu of or in addition to the regular EA balifs. Start with areas having a high angler density and known problems with violations.

- 'Borrow' some existing police from local agencies with salaries to be paid by the EA. Initial money from existing funds but after a period of time (6 month or so) their expenses to come from fines and court awarded judgements. Should be easy enough to get volunteers.

- Same for vehicles. Older police cars since they will be mostly transport. Paint them some distinctive color but retain lights, siren, etc.

- Reasonable training period for the officers in fishery regulations. They already know law enforcement.

3. Saturate the chosen area with officers to enforce existing rules. Ignorance of the law to be no excuse.

4. Use excess funds (fines & judgements) to expand the program.

5. After the new program has established itself, look to either return the LE officers to regular duty or let them change agencies. Train exiting EA balifs who are willing in the LE side of their job.

. Basically zero cost to the tax payers. Funded by violators.

. Makes the need for and benefits of a license obvious to all.

How's that Budgie?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

1. Legislation to ring-fence all monies from angling violations - license, rods, no permit, etc. Monies to be used for expanding and then formalizing the new program.

2. Trial period (say 2 years) in a limited geographical area of using sworn law enforcement officers either in lieu of or in addition to the regular EA balifs. Start with areas having a high angler density and known problems with violations.

- 'Borrow' some existing police from local agencies with salaries to be paid by the EA. Initial money from existing funds but after a period of time (6 month or so) their expenses to come from fines and court awarded judgements. Should be easy enough to get volunteers.

- Same for vehicles. Older police cars since they will be mostly transport. Paint them some distinctive color but retain lights, siren, etc.

- Reasonable training period for the officers in fishery regulations. They already know law enforcement.

3. Saturate the chosen area with officers to enforce existing rules. Ignorance of the law to be no excuse.

4. Use excess funds (fines & judgements) to expand the program.

5. After the new program has established itself, look to either return the LE officers to regular duty or let them change agencies. Train exiting EA balifs who are willing in the LE side of their job.

. Basically zero cost to the tax payers. Funded by violators.

. Makes the need for and benefits of a license obvious to all.

How's that Budgie?

In theory it sounds a good idea but a word of caution though, thats exactly how the idea of speed cameras was sold to the general public and it has now developed into a self financing massivly expanding self regulating(joke) industry that is accountable to noone. Not only that it is seen as a revenue generating(tax) scheme without any of the percieved benefits being available for the public.

If the scheme as described could be sensibly enforced with real benefits to anglers and the environment with the ring fenced 'fines' being used for fishery protection and fishery enhancement then anglers would go for it providing addition funds were also provided from the sale of licences and Government and not offset from the revenue gained via the 'fines'.

• 10 months later...
That is as far as your idea would get over here Newt. UK governments of any flavour do NOT like hypothecated taxes.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

UK governments of any flavour do NOT like hypothecated taxes.

Surprising that the television tax is still around then or have those funds been diverted from their original purpose? I know we get some nice material from the BBC and from BBC America. The National Geographic channel still uses some of the programs the did several years ago in their Planet series.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well that certainly is going against the grain on here....I hope you had your flame suit on lol

As usual in the world of fishing..there's always people smarter or think they are smarter & more knowledgable who throw their weight around when it comes to rules etc.

I'm looking forward to fishing the rivers again but I'm hardly counting the days down...I have other things to do.