One choice only.

medwaygreen

I love using my trotting gear, but I couldn't possibly limit my fishing with a light rod and a pin!

Quite a few of my river PB's have been taken on my Harrison/Witcher combo - in fact as I type practically all of them!!! - Chub, Perch, Roach, Grayling, Dace as well as Brown & Rainbow trout. Which leaves only my PB barbel - though I have had barbel upto 8lb trotting.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s a pattern emerging here. There seem to be two main camps:

A Versatility. The choice of those who’d prefer to keep the greatest number of options to cover the broadest diversity of styles of fishing with a single rod and reel outfit, at the cost of idealism.

B Selective idealism. The choice of those for whom variety must be sacrificed for their preference for a particular style of fishing for which the outfit may be ideally selected, at the cost of versatility.

It’s very interesting to contemplate why we individually fall into the groups we do, as I think it says a lot about what fishing means to each of us.

I guess I’d rather go ledgering than never go fishing at all, but I’d much, much, much rather go a float trotting than anything else. If I had to choose between my ideal fishing four times a year and non-ideal versatile fishing four times a month, I’d certainly take the former (though it would do my head in). I think this is because, for me personally, fishing is ultimately about the magic of quality, not quantity.

But it's a rather horrid mind exercise.

A good observation! Versatility all the way for me, I'd want to be able to adapt to different species and locations as the season progresses. With that rod and reel I don't think there's anything I wouldn't be able to do, albeit in a more unrefined way than if I had the 'proper' gear for certain situations.

Incidentally, I tried trotting with a fixed spool reel for the fist time in ages the other day - it was horrible! The handle was on the wrong side of the reel too, it was a complete nightmare :D But compare that to casting 80 yards into a big gravel pit with a centrepin...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

why didnt you just move the handle to the other side ambidextrous reels have been around for scores of years :D

and ofcourse you can cast far farther than 80 yards with a centerpin it just needs to be the right one :D

i.e 671ft 6" ,2oz weight in the late 50's

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's simply 'horses for courses'.

I picked my gear for the simple reason that I prefer to float fish rather than any other method, (I often use a float when I know that another method will produce better).

Not just trotting, but in stillwater as well, and seeing that most of my fishing is done within about 3 rod lengths, the pin would suffice.

I go fishing because I enjoy it, and for me that means float fishing where ever possible. Others, like Andrew, like to have a more 'rounded' approach, I assume because that's what they enjoy.

That's the great thing about angling, it can be all things to all men (and women :) ) from 8 to 80 and beyond.

Long may it stay like that, (but I have my doubts :( ).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's simply 'horses for courses'.

I picked my gear for the simple reason that I prefer to float fish rather than any other method, (I often use a float when I know that another method will produce better).

Not just trotting, but in stillwater as well, and seeing that most of my fishing is done within about 3 rod lengths, the pin would suffice.

I go fishing because I enjoy it, and for me that means float fishing where ever possible. Others, like Andrew, like to have a more 'rounded' approach, I assume because that's what they enjoy.

That's the great thing about angling, it can be all things to all men (and women :) ) from 8 to 80 and beyond.

Long may it stay like that, (but I have my doubts :( ).

John.

John,

Answer the question. :huh:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I have over twenty rods and some ten reels at my disposal.

The questioned is which would i choose in most of my fishing situations and why?

If you participate you must choice one rod and one reel and give your reasons, Photograph's would be appreciated.

My choice.

1. My rod choice is a Maver Italica 14ft.

The reasons are that i love mostly to fish rivers and this rod is so versatile that i can and have fished, all float types, also Polaris type floats and when required a light cage feeder. The rod is responsive to all types of bite detection is extremely light so you could hold it all day long and up until now has handled all fish caught, from ozs to eight pounds. the other factor is that it looks good feels good and was sold to me at next to nothing by my good friend, who i have not met yet Mr Chris Goddard. The rod is beautifully finished in dark colours with discreet whipping and a very firm reel seat.

2. The reel is easy for me, i have since 1961 used most types of reel, cheap, very cheap and in the price bracket of all anglers. The reel that reaches parts that other reels do not is the Okuma Interceptor 30, not the bait runner the standard reel. This reel is a polished performer, for a small reel size 30 it is large, the standard spool hold maximum 200 yd eight PBS more than enough for any type of proper fishing, the reel is rear clutch, but, i have found this to be immediate when required, as i mainly use back wind, who cares. Extra spools are only £5 and posted direct from the makers. All in all a great reel at great money. The reel could make a very cost effective reel system for most anglers.

There you have my effort, now lets see yours. :sun:

It would have to be my trusty north western 1 1/4 TC and a cardinal 55. Im a bit old fashioned lol.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

why didnt you just move the handle to the other side ambidextrous reels have been around for scores of years :D

and ofcourse you can cast far farther than 80 yards with a centerpin it just needs to be the right one :D

i.e 671ft 6" ,2oz weight in the late 50's

Cos I was fishing with a leftie and just borrowed the rod for a little go.

Fishing at 80 yards with a pin isn't very practical, it would take about half an hour just to reel in!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Versatility all the way for me, I'd want to be able to adapt to different species and locations as the season progresses. With that rod and reel I don't think there's anything I wouldn't be able to do, albeit in a more unrefined way than if I had the 'proper' gear for certain situations.

Yes, I can understand this. In fact, you can almost have your cake and eat it, with modern rods and reels being designed to be highly versatile, so you don’t have to compromise quality very much for all your versatility. But for me, angling is the romantic search for an idyll- an entirely aesthetic pleasure-seeking pursuit. This raises the threshold for my satisfaction to the unreasonable point that my fishing would actually be spoiled by having to use gear that wasn’t ideal for my purpose, which almost defeats it. I’d hate to be sat there wishing I’d brought a centrepin because the egg whisk wasn’t doing the job properly (this happened recently- I went with intentions to fish the far bank for perch, and, like you, ended up nearside long-trotting with the fixed spool I’d taken. It was just crap, and I left early).

I guess it all comes down to what you’re fishing for- your fish, or yourself. Fish are quite low down on the list of the objects of my angling. I know- I’m weird! Vive la difference!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Cos I was fishing with a leftie and just borrowed the rod for a little go.

Fishing at 80 yards with a pin isn't very practical, it would take about half an hour just to reel in!

i expect with a battery drill attached it would be faster than you think :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson