What does a carp run feel like?

TrevBoy

Was fishing for, and catching, tench and bream yesterday when twice something took the corn and shot off at speed across the lake. Those somethings were not tench. 30yds of line gone just like that. Needless to say the 14 hook pulled out pretty quick in the snaggy lake.

I have never caught a carp, so is a carp run like that - a high-speed straight line dash? If so what is a simple set up to try to catch one of 'em?

I was fishing sweetcorn over a bed of Skinz feed pellets.

i`d go for hook No7 or 8 and hair rig the corn(one corn plastic,one real)on the braided link(double dark deception)with running rig on the lead of 1,5 Oz on the clip with cut rubber.

I dont understand why the hook is pulling.A 14 is quite big enough to land a carp if you take your time.

Now if you are getting snagged by the fish running into the weed etc I would sugest that you stick with what your doing (as its obviously working!) but step up your line strength a bit more.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Was fishing for, and catching, tench and bream yesterday when twice something took the corn and shot off at speed across the lake. Those somethings were not tench. 30yds of line gone just like that. Needless to say the 14 hook pulled out pretty quick in the snaggy lake.

I have never caught a carp, so is a carp run like that - a high-speed straight line dash? If so what is a simple set up to try to catch one of 'em?

I was fishing sweetcorn over a bed of Skinz feed pellets.

Sounds exactly like a carp was on the hook! I've only just started carp fishing myself & the little fish can't half shift. Of the ones I have caught so far, there is an initial burst of speed in one direction as the carp realises it is hooked, followed by a short burst of reeling in before the little fellas decide they don't want to be netted & try every trick in the book to shake you off. Be that heading for the nearest snags, reeds or simply rolling and diving. My advice is...keep a close eye/hand on your rod, otherwise it will be into the water before you blink.

I dont understand why the hook is pulling.A 14 is quite big enough to land a carp if you take your time.

Now if you are getting snagged by the fish running into the weed etc I would sugest that you stick with what your doing (as its obviously working!) but step up your line strength a bit more.

second that,step on tackle a little if your using 5lb line go up to 8lb,instead of a 14 use 12 or 10,what sort of rod are you using?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

You'll know when its a carp, your natural reaction will be something like, 'ohhhh gawd, a bluddy nuisance carp'! Can't be helped, its nature at work!!

Well, its only a nuisance if I don't land it!

Both times, the fish in question found its way into some weeds. The first time I really thought it had come off as I could no longer feel any movement. After leaving the line slack a while, the line hadn't moved so I figured it was gone. I thereupon set about hauling my tackle free - I was amazed at just how much welly I could give my set-up without it breaking. Lo and behold the fish WAS still on. Anyway, Next time I will be more confident at giving some resistance.

I use barbless hooks, so that is the probable reason I lost them. I don't want to get all carpy as am happy to fish for me tench, but will step up a little in strength of line just in case I need it. I get the impression the tench don't mind too much how I get the bait to them when they are really hungry.

... I was amazed at just how much welly I could give my set-up without it breaking...

Most people are!

The trick is to give it that welly BEFORE it gets snagged :) Once you know it's only a carp just give it 100%, it's not like you'll never hook another one!

once into the weed give it a little slack and wait for it to take off again

also dont take your rod up into the air try low down and sideways as pulling up into a carp makes it dive sideways tends to keep them up in the water

better luck next time :thumbs:

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

I was out with my quiver tip today fishing for tench and had to do a Superman impersonation to get my rod back as it darted towards the lake, thankfully it (or i) didn't go in!

A few minutes later a 5 1/2lb tench slipped into the net :thumbs:

When they want to go they can go like a steam train.

Edited by DJMCJERICO

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image