Rip off Fisheries!

Mat Hillman

Sounds like a bad experience Mat, just don't bother going back next time.

Not sure where you live but there's a decent Carp fishery very near Stapleford Abbots that may not be too far from you. I have only there once but with my twelve year old son, we were charged a half day ticket and was very reasonable at about £8 for us both, their half day ticket was starting from 2pm.

Going off at a tangent here but I think the whole fishery thing needs looking at, I'd like to see some non Carp dominated fishing lakes around to give our younger anglers a taste of a few other fish other than fire breathing boily gobbling sweetcorn hoovering Carp that seem to brain wash their minds!

If I had a chance to make a fishery I would have everything else but Carp stocked, perhaps some nice Bream and Roach!!

Ok now rant over....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd need to turn it around and make a list of Fisheries that are familly and Junior angler friendly, and let the fact that the bad ones are not on the list speak for itself

Mat

even better idea. :clap:

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Its shame Matt, IV not fished there for over a year because I won't pay £10 for a day ticket but wouldn't fish it often enough to warrant a membership.

Also the owner expects you to go on litter picking duty in and around your swim, I pick up all my own rubbish and any dangerous rubbish left by others, hooks, line etc But I don't pay £10 to have the pleasure of picking up other peoples coke cans and sandwich box's.

The 10lb mainline and barbless hooks rule is another reason I stopped going there, you get a decent fish on and its pot luck whether you land it, barbless hooks I can see the point of in most case's but not when your trying to land a 16lb fish screaming 10lb line from the reel.

If you’re not far from Mill Barn then you can't be far from Star Lane, ok it takes the term natural to an extreme, but there some nice fish in it and at £3 per person it's not bad money.

Is it still 10 yrs the minimum to go onto your bdac ticket?

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Might it be better to look into joining a club if there is any nearby ?

the one i am in is £27 for an adult, and £6 for a junior per year with 6 ponds and 2 rivers to choose from.

Some are more expensive, but still works out cheaper than keep forking out for day tickets, when you can go as much as you want for a full year.

:)

IPB Image

Is it still 10 yrs the minimum to go onto your bdac ticket?

Next Season he can go on my BDAC ticket - it's 7 and over now, and they charge an extra £10 for the season! So that'll be problem solved as BDAC have loads of waters stuffed with silvers!

Mat

Mat

Going off at a tangent here but I think the whole fishery thing needs looking at, I'd like to see some non Carp dominated fishing lakes around to give our younger anglers a taste of a few other fish other than fire breathing boily gobbling sweetcorn hoovering Carp that seem to brain wash their minds!

If I had a chance to make a fishery I would have everything else but Carp stocked, perhaps some nice Bream and Roach!!

Ok now rant over....

Take a look at the Match lake at the Warren - Catch reports look good, I'm planning on trying a session there on Sunday!

http://www.thewarrenfishingcomplex.co.uk/index.html

I've fished the main lake there, but never the Match, theres some cracking tench in the main lake too ;-)

I feel much the same as you, I have nothing against catching carp, but nothing but carp soon gets boring, bring back the good old fashioned mixed fishery!!

Mat

Mat

• 1 year later...

Mill Barn is £15 for father and son ticket, I was in exactly the same position in that I thought it was expensive BUT... I soon realised that the price stops all the annoying kids and other idiots especially when the schools are out. I joined for £85 which I think is really good value considering the quality of the fishing.

The reservoir holds some nice carp to nearly 30lb I've had several good days with multiple doubles & low 20s. There is also a members only lake 2and 3 other waters.

Someone has also commented on the 10lb line rule and barbless hooks. If you can't land a 20 on a barbless & 10lb line you are doing something wrong!

If you want cheap fishing go to Priory Park for a fiver but be prepared for the kids and chavs.

As always, two side to EVERY story!! BUT £15 for a ticket for a LAD and DAD??? Sorry but that is bloody scandalous!! The water owner is obviously trying to STOP new anglers is my take!! And I can assure you I would not pay £10 a DAY to fish on a lake where I was guaranteed to catch 4Lb ROACH all day!!! Never mind anything else!!

But having said that, the guy has obviously set out his stall as HE sees fit and fro that i can only applaud him!! HIS water HIS rules.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I soon realised that the price stops all the annoying kids and other idiots especially when the schools are out.

And how about all the youngsters who are keen to start/go fishing and dont mess about etc? Far more junior anglers out there who dont have some one to take them and pay for them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Mill Barn is £15 for father and son ticket, I was in exactly the same position in that I thought it was expensive BUT... I soon realised that the price stops all the annoying kids and other idiots especially when the schools are out. I joined for £85 which I think is really good value considering the quality of the fishing.

The reservoir holds some nice carp to nearly 30lb I've had several good days with multiple doubles & low 20s. There is also a members only lake 2and 3 other waters.

Someone has also commented on the 10lb line rule and barbless hooks. If you can't land a 20 on a barbless & 10lb line you are doing something wrong!

If you want cheap fishing go to Priory Park for a fiver but be prepared for the kids and chavs.

You obviously don't fish Mill Barn during the school holidays do you :) last time we were there the reservoir was chocka with kids and very noisy.

Still William and I have not been back, if anyone local is looking for a suitable venue to start off a junior I'd strongly reccomend joining BDAC (www.bdac.co.uk) We've had great fun with the small carp in Old Island Lake, and the roach, rudd and perch in the small pits at southminster! and it only cost £51 for the season for both of us!

This was a very old thread to dredge up! but I'd like to say I've not been back to Mill Barn since posting this, so the greedy owner has cost himself two regulars! I still think £15 is a rip-off when I wasn't even fishing, just sitting behind and supervising my boy!!!

Mat

Mat