Why not maggots for trout?

bingo

Yes I know this is a fly fishing forum but I was just wondering why the vast majority of trout waters do not allow bait fishing?

Is there a reason?

I'm not arguing against it. I'm just wondering what the reasons are.

Please note I do not want this to descend into a debate about snobbery etc. I just want the facts (if there are any?!)

I appreciate that it's not the 'done thing' but I just wondering why?

Are maggots bad for trout? Is it not considered sporting?

Thanks.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know this is a fly fishing forum but I was just wondering why the vast majority of trout waters do not allow bait fishing?

Is there a reason?

I'm not arguing against it. I'm just wondering what the reasons are.

Please note I do not want this to descend into a debate about snobbery etc. I just want the facts (if there are any?!)

I appreciate that it's not the 'done thing' but I just wondering why?

Are maggots bad for trout? Is it not considered sporting?

Thanks.

To be honest it is too easy :)

A lot of commercial fisheries allow bait fishing in one of the ponds, usually for kids. It is usually done on a kill and pay for what you catch basis (pick your own trout) A friend took his small nephews to a local fishery, left them on the bait pond with rods and a tin of sweetcorn and went for a coffee. When he got back less than an hour later there were 28 dead trout. It cost him over 70 quid to get out of there :P

On wild trout Lochs up here lots of folk bait fish, usually with worm and usually with the intent of taking the fish for the pot.

Fly fishing doesn't make it that much harder on occasion but there is usually more of a sporting element. I don't think that snobbery comes into it. I have never met a snobbish fly fisher and I am an Essex boy who started fishing on rivers and ponds for "coarse" fish long before I moved up to Scotland and tried fly fishing.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've fished maggot on a trout river many times, and it can be easy, you can also lose a lot of gear, especially if you're using the feeder (which can decimate a pool some days). Fishing particularly shallow runs on stone bottomed river beds, the flly doesn't tend to snag as much. In addition it can be the best method, especially for sea trout and salmon, or for targeting a specifc fish.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

It would not be the first time a fly fisherman kitted up with a 'flying maggot', especially at night. ;). They'll take worms and bread flake too. Trout that is, not fly fishermen.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

One reason behind the first put and take Trout fisheries was to put fly fishing within the grasp of a wider ordiance, The fish would rise to a fag butt and do, but the skill is trying to get them to take a three inch piece of Day glow orange Rabbit skin wrapped around a gram or two of Lead wire topped off with a Over sized bronze Hook.......... Far more Fun :whistling:;)

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I think that on fly waters maggot was banned because ground baiting turns brownies into bottom feeders thus killing off the fly fishing, which is where the money is for the person controlling the water

as for to easy, yeah, but, as stated before stockies will take anything including fag ends (really try it when a water is just stocked) so i dont know if easy comes into it

Hi bingo,this is not an answer to your question,just a related story :) Used to fish the river Eye (Berwickshire) when I was a lad. It was fly only on certain stretches. The best method for the sea trout was maggot tipped fly at dusk !!!!!

Guess who my fishing partner normally was on these clandestine operations???? THE BAILIFF :):):)

He was an immigrant Polish cobbler who could hardly speak a word of English apart from " John the next time you come up can you please bring me some maggots"

This is the gods honest truth,I kid you not.

The innocence of youth :sun::sun:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 3 weeks later...
I think that on fly waters maggot was banned because ground baiting turns brownies into bottom feeders thus killing off the fly fishing, which is where the money is for the person controlling the water

This sounds like ****s to me. It's a plain snobbery thing. I have several uncles who only fly fish and look down on us who do any other kind of fishing. Also those who fly fish are jealous when they see someone whip out a 2lb trout on a maggot/worm/spinner that they have been flogging away at all day but could not catch.

But hey thats just my two bits worth! I won't fish on any 'stocked' fishery if I can help it. That is why when I go back to Scotland I will head for places like Loch Arklet or Loch Katrine, which are almost 100% wild brownie, and eschew places like the Lake of Menteith that are full of stocked rainbow trout that taste just like the rainbow trout you buy in the supermarkets. ie. they taste of fish food pellets, not of fish.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Jealous of someone who's decided that they want to go home smelling of maggotts...yes I probably am.....but then I caught a wild brownie just over a pound and a half on saturday morning using an alley shrimp double salmon fly, 12lb leader on a 9 weight rod.

I was pleased to catch it, I'm easily pleased apparently, but no one was jealous..........until you work out how to catch salmon on maggot round my way, no one will be interested (by the way, David Moir who was a member of AN did once catch one cleanly on maggot, in november, when fishing for perch, (honest, i was there when he landed it) but all subsequent attempts have failed.............shrimps however are far more use)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY