How to catch on bread

dbrennan

I Have only just recently taken up coarse fishing and have been feeder fishing my local stretch of the regents canal a lot, yesterday when i got their someone had thrown a loaf of bread in and the water looked like it was boiling thier was so many fish eating it . Can anyone tell me if I can and how i go about using bread to catch fish.

Thanks in advance

Goundbaiting with Swans & Ducks is not new.

Feed the fowl and once they have got out of the way ( to avoid hooking one ) fish a pinch of bread flake on a slow sinking float rig. Self-cocking floats are ideal.

The bait sinks gently and makes a tempting target for any fish. The rate at which it sinks will depend on how tightly you pinch the flake on the hook. . . . a case of trial & error.

Dependant on the species present ( prob Roach ) and locality of snags I would recomend using 2lb line and a size 16 or 18. If it's Chub etc step up to 3 or 4lb line with a size 12.

Good luck

Andrew Boyd

I Have only just recently taken up coarse fishing and have been feeder fishing my local stretch of the regents canal a lot, yesterday when i got their someone had thrown a loaf of bread in and the water looked like it was boiling thier was so many fish eating it . Can anyone tell me if I can and how i go about using bread to catch fish.

Thanks in advance

OK, first the most important point, always use fresh bread for hookbaits; unless you are using crust when the ideal is a proper loaf (not supermarket pap) about three days old.

For what are likely to be small fish in the canal I would suggest using liquidised bread (supermarket pap is ideal for this) in a cage feeder and punched bread on the hook. Liquidised bread is made by putting bread in a blender - (or liquidiser) hence the name. Bread punches to make the hookbaits are available in just about any tackle shop or you can make your own.

If the fish are bigger or you want to be more selective with a bigger bait use a piece of bread torn from a slice and squeeze it onto the hook as a ragged piece of "flake", I put a piece into the bend of the hook and just fold it back around the shank and squeeze it together at the top of the shank. Use whatever size you like up to about a 50p piece for chub.

Crust is also a good bait for bigger fish but needs enough split shot placed about an inch from the hook to keep it down, cos otherwise it floats. When someone else has done the groundbaiting for you in the way saw yesterday you could also try small pieces of slowly sinking flake or small pieces of crust fished on the surface.

Don't forget that if the float fails to settle to it's final position, the bread flake would have probably been intercepted on the drop. That's a time to strike.

Goundbaiting with Swans & Ducks is not new.

Feed the fowl and once they have got out of the way ( to avoid hooking one ) fish a pinch of bread flake on a slow sinking float rig. Self-cocking floats are ideal.

The bait sinks gently and makes a tempting target for any fish. The rate at which it sinks will depend on how tightly you pinch the flake on the hook. . . . a case of trial & error.

Dependant on the species present ( prob Roach ) and locality of snags I would recomend using 2lb line and a size 16 or 18. If it's Chub etc step up to 3 or 4lb line with a size 12.

Good luck

I to am fishing a canal in the morning, have never really used bread, but do want to try as well. the pinched bread and bread punch side of it i know. the part that interested me was the self cocking float, what is this and what does it look like. and is it any good on canals, with a fast surface skim.

many thanks.

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

Try a big bit of breadflake, about 5p pence size, on a size 10 hook on the bottom at dusk. You may be pleasantly surprised at the size of the roach you catch! :) Mind you, almost any other species may beat the roach to it. You could try this tactic during the day as well, but the bigger roach are much less likely to be feeding then, and so conventional tactics of bread punch on a small hook will almost certainly catch you more then.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I would suggest using a pole rod on the canal. If you use a float rod, you would find that on fast flowing canals a bow would form in the line and this would tend to bring the float under the surface, thus giving false indications of a bite. To avoid this, properly sink the line by dipping the tip of the rod in the water and then cranking the reel a few times, or better yet, use a pole rod.

Crust is also a good bait for bigger fish but needs enough split shot placed about an inch from the hook to keep it down, cos otherwise it floats. When someone else has done the groundbaiting for you in the way saw yesterday you could also try small pieces of slowly sinking flake or small pieces of crust fished on the surface.

Sorry for sounding lika a complete idiot but how do I go about fishing a small piece of crust on the surface

Sorry for sounding lika a complete idiot but how do I go about fishing a small piece of crust on the surface

just hook a small piece of crust size of hook no smaller than size 12 but as big as size 6 no float or shot

and before you cast it dunk it (to add a bit of weight ) then an under arm flick and just let it drift and watch it

Edited by les middy

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Thanks in advance

if you want to fish the punch then read this site it is quite informative, but remember treat your hook bait like paste for carp, don't compress your hook bait, that way you will hit a lot more bites, on flowing water add some small fish tank gravel to your feed.

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/Punch.htm

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image