Photo challenge # 21 Bridges

peter mccue

I had four favourites.

Burbage Bridge by Cameraman. Liked the cascading water coming down in front of it but I suppose the Bridge should be the main focus.

Under the Bridge by HB. Just cause it's pretty and I like the reflection of the Bridge.

Secret Bridge by Cliff Stone. I thought this would not get picked because the Bridge is not the main focus but I think it is very artistic.

Eels Bridge by Phil Dean. Really liked my Hobbits Hideaway until I saw this one and loved the 'print' like quality of it.

I really liked you're Hobbits bridge as well TB, but blimey it's tough when you have to pick three pics from such a quality pack :(

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As requested by Steve, I transfer my thoughts, still think 'Lesbury Bridge' flys in the face of what has gone before? I could bring the RAW question up again especially with the "how to get a top quality photo from a dog a of a picture" thread posted by Steve, however, better leave sleeping dogs to lie, :unsure::doh:

CJS2 Cliff :ph34r:

PS'sssss

Quote: Tubularbelle:

"If he says it is a Bridge, then it is a Bridge, doesn't matter if it is only part of a Bridge"

If you say so mate, :icecream: CJS2

Quote: Norfolkdan:

"I felt the same Cliff, but didn't want to start anything off again"

We are all entitle to our opinion mate, :wallbash: CJS2

Edited by CJS2

Can I comment? Thought the "Wingham" bridge would set a few hearts fluttering :) thought I might get a vote or two from Budgie and Elton....and Julian........:) :)

Little bit of crafty thinking that didn't work..:)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I remember that bridge Den, there is a Carp Park very close to that, first Wingham fishin visitors will know what I'm talking about...:D

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Hi Den, I did wonder if Heaven was a top fishing spot.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Secret Bridge by Cliff Stone. I thought this would not get picked because the Bridge is not the main focus but I think it is very artistic.

Well call me a stirrer, but thats no reason to worry about my artistic efforts TB. Dont even need to have the bridge in shot! if 'Lesbury bridge' is anything to go by? I really dont mind, but the irony. :whistling::lol:

:ph34r:

Cliff,

I can, to a point see where your coming from but I would just like to draw your attention to the very first post I made about the challenge, which is now the Photo Challenge questions thread.

In that I was the first judge and it was made clear that the challenge was for fun and the 3 choices would be my decision and that would be it...no argument.

frantic took the shot and took the risk of it not being selected as its not immediately recognisable as a bridge, even though we all know it probably is, the judge liked that one shot of three that was submitted as part of the fun challenge, and chose it as a finalist. The judges decision is final and is his or her decision alone. Its the photographers eye that caught that bit and also his risk to post it.

But please remember this is not a professional competition its just for fun and if someone wants to post his or her interpretation of a bridge then so be it, and if the judge wants to pick it as a finalist that is also their choice.

In the main we are a bunch of anglers with an interest in photography, we have started a fun challenge and yes there will be inconsistensies in the judging as the judge changes every two weeks.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Cliff,

I can, to a point see where your coming from but I would just like to draw your attention to the very first post I made about the challenge, which is now the Photo Challenge questions thread.

In that I was the first judge and it was made clear that the challenge was for fun and the 3 choices would be my decision and that would be it...no argument.

frantic took the shot and took the risk of it not being selected as its not immediately recognisable as a bridge, even though we all know it probably is, the judge liked that one shot of three that was submitted as part of the fun challenge, and chose it as a finalist. The judges decision is final and is his or her decision alone. Its the photographers eye that caught that bit and also his risk to post it.

But please remember this is not a professional competition its just for fun and if someone wants to post his or her interpretation of a bridge then so be it, and if the judge wants to pick it as a finalist that is also their choice.

In the main we are a bunch of anglers with an interest in photography, we have started a fun challenge and yes there will be inconsistensies in the judging as the judge changes every two weeks.

Thats just fine Steve, I see your point as well, as I said in my post it does not bother me. I just find it all a bit irritating some times, my problem, recently I have found, I can be a little abrasive, trying to stop that, never used to be, and I apologise. Frankly I like 'Lesbury B . . . ', it is an artistic form.

I did find it irresistable to comment, seeing the observation ref., my pic 'Secret Bridge'. Secret Bridge is all over the place on exposure, could have, should have don much better. However I did enjoy the 40 to 50 minuets scrambling about in the undergrowth and scrub, in good clothes!!! trying not to fall in the river, :lol: Watching the fish in the river, fascinating, seeing shapes and shadows. The pics would have been much more satisfying a little later in the evening when the light had softened, :mellow:

Again my apologies Steve, Regards, Cliff, :ph34r:

Personally, I liked Lesbury Bridge. Its the one I've voted for. I was disapointed the my night shot of the bridge didnt make it but thats the way it goes.

Now I'm looking forward to having another crack with the latest challenge. Nice topic Steve.

Cheers.........HB

rb_getcreative.gif

blimey it's tough when you have to pick three pics from such a quality pack :(

Gee I hope you still enjoyed the experience though Peter.

I fear that the recent discussions have added a whole lot of stress to the Judges choosing of the three finalists. I won't let it affect me though, if I am ever lucky enough to win another Challenge I will enjoy the choosing of the next subject and the three finalists with the gusto that is intended. It seems the actual prize of the mousemat and coaster may have gone by the wayside so the privelage of choosing IS the prize, and we should all enjoy it.

Not sure I understand what Cliff is trying to say, I had picked his entry as a favourite before the final three were announced, but going by his interpretation, if Frantics entry is not valid simply because you cannot see the whole Bridge as is the case in many of the entries, then Cliffs entry was even less valid because he has deliberately gone to the trouble of hiding it. Both of these entries are in fact extremely valid because of their artistic merit, what is so hard to understand about that. I just don't get it.

Obviously many people have improved in their photgraphic abilities to the point where they might want to start entering official photography competitions, esp ones that feel that their talents and efforts are not being taken into account with the relaxed way of Judging that we have here, and that is the way it should be.

But please Steve, don't let anything anyone says, change the way this FUN Comp is run, it's a fantastic opportunity for amateurs, learners, experimenters, and slightly shy budding photographers to express their 'eye' and is perfect the way it is. I don't even see the need for the Judges explanations unless they themselves wish to do so.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!