Motivation

BobH

Motivation to go fishing in bad weather and on your own ?

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to motivate myself to get out in the cold weather and fish for the monster I know are only a few miles from where I live.

When my friend Simon King was alive, we fired off each others enthusiasm for a species or a method/bait and worked together on a shared desire to catch monsters, but with his passing I lack that desire ?

I have only been out once since Christmas and I'm finding it hard to get myself going.

How do others cope when they loose the desire to go fishing ?

Bob

How do others cope when they loose the desire to go fishing ?

Bob

Dunno! Only happened once to me - that was 78/79 season - I was 17 and had discovered girls!

Didn't last, (the hiatus or the girl!!!) :rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I think it'd happens to all of us.

I usually have two approaches. First I just take a break and catch up with other things. Second I try some easy fishing just to relax and take time off a more serious campaign.

Rich

Bob - ask around, you may be pleasantly surprised that someone you know, however tenuously, has an interest in taking up fishing, and many are a similar generation to yourself - I've bumped into a couple of guys who would fit this description over the past year, both of which were looking to buy a decent (cheapish) centrepin, strangely enough ... their enthusiasm is infectious, and if you are so inclined, a bit of time spent bankside with them, pointing them in the right direction, can pay dividends to both of you.

OR ... buy a fishing game and sit in the warmth of home in the dodgy months in front of the PC :D - there are a couple out there that can be quite involving / engaging, and some of the rest are just mindless fun, which is never a bad think, IMHO!

This happened to me about a year ago, I lost interest completely. I put it down to getting stuck in a routine, same swims and same tactics whatever the result. Thinking back I wasn’t actually bored with angling but the way I was angling so I tried different things at different venues. Apart from the last day when I caught a PB perch the fresh approach didn’t really catch more fish but I was having to think about what to do again which was good.

Come the start of the 204/15 season I joined a couple of new clubs and whilst there was no way I could hope to fish all the water I had access to they presented new opportunities. The zander fish-in was a great event and again something new to me.

I’ll always struggle to get motivated if the weather forecast is crap but that’s just me getting older I think, I don’t mind getting caught in bad weather but I’m reluctant to set off if I know it’s coming.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I’ll always struggle to get motivated if the weather forecast is crap but that’s just me getting older I think, I don’t mind getting caught in bad weather but I’m reluctant to set off if I know it’s coming.

When I was younger I think I had more sense than I have today, I would only go fishing through the summer months when it was mostly warm and dry with long draw out evenings, usually a few of us fishing together also. I would laugh at people fishing during the winter months "nutters"....winter months where for going out with the dogs guns and ferrets.

Tigger

Maybe I should get back to the, Dogs, Guns and Ferrets, I gave those up when I stopped being a Head Greenkeeper and became a Golf Course Constructor ?

I'm going out tomorrow afternoon for an evening session Chub Fishing, so that will be from 3pm until 10pm, they are forecasting temperatures of around -1 in London, not cold for the chub I'm after, I caught that big one when it was -7 and I had snow freezing on the top of the umbrella.

Hopefully I will feel as motivated tomorrow as I do now typing this reply ?

Bob

Edited by BobH

Tigger

Maybe I should get back to the, Dogs, Guns and Ferrets, I gave those up when I stopped being a Head Greenkeeper and became a Golf Course Constructor ?

I'm going out tomorrow afternoon for an evening session Chub Fishing, so that will be from 3pm until 10pm, they are forecasting temperatures of around -1 in London, not cold for the chub I'm after, I caught that big one when it was -7 and I had snow freezing on the top of the umbrella.

Hopefully I will feel as motivated tomorrow as I do now typing this reply ?

Bob

Good luck tomorrow bob :thumbs: .

Chris, I will be 70ty this year, so once apon a time !!

Only eleven more years and you will have reached my present age !

I first went fishing on my own at age seven, so a simple sum shows I have been fishing for 74 years - and I look forward to my next trip as much as ever. One feature of my fishing is that I pursue every type of angling - float, fly, lure, paternoster, leger, freelining, so have never get bored with one method. Also, I fish for all types of fish, lake, river, sea, rock pools, deep sea and tidal creeks - from minnows, through mullet and mulloway to marlin. A new (to me) species is what really turns me on, yet I still enjoy fishing the local ponds and rivers for not-very-big perch, roach, and trout.

With increasing age I do fish shorter sessions now, especially roving sessions on rivers, where after about three hours of yomping I have physically had enough, and during the winter I now venture out less often, although not to the extent of that Victorian angling writer, William Caine

November, I stay in town, December, I stay indoors, January, I stay in bed

Visiting American rellies, and a king-sized cold have prevented my fishing this month, but I will be out soon. Watch this space.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...