Wire stem stick floats.

lutra

So wouldn't no stem be even better? And why heavy metal? You can have thin anything. wood, carbon, plastic, ..........

When i've tried chubbers in choppy fast water they seem to bob about and go in and out of sight much more than a long wire stemmed avon which seems to be more stable and with the long sight tip much easier to see.

Wood or plastic would be fragile made as such a long slim stem. Also wood and plastic is light in comparison and in a choppy or fast glide the float would just lye flat especially so when you try to hold back making it impossible to see. The carbon stemmed avon (my favourite) isn't as good in fast choppy water as the wire stemmed float but with the stem being so thin it's still usable in those conditions.

I know your talking about stick type floats but the principal is the same really.

Oh, just for reference the carbon stemmed float gives great reading letting you know when your bait touches bottom by rising a fraction in the water etc...I have a mixture in my pocket, wire stemmed and carbon so I can swap them about. Steve Mahers carbon stemmed and woodys alloy stemmed are my favourite makes.

Edited by Tigger

Brian, if you chuck a properly made and balanced stick float across the room, it should fly like a dart.

Try that with the wire sticks you wanna chuck out, bin those that wobble in flight, give the others to me :)

Its all about stability and riding well in a turbulent current

Hmm, first one flew ok, but the bloody dogs run off with it so might need a bit of repair. :)

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Results of my stick float throwing comp were pretty poor for wire stems. All my jointed wood or plastic stems seem to fly better. Evan a very gentle throw seems to see the wires going end over end.

Seems a bit of a silly test as they will fly much different on the line with a load of shot added, won't they?

I usually use wire stemmed Avons when fishing my turbulent little tributaries. The bouyant Avon top keeps it bobbing above the choppy surface, and the wire stem cuts through the sub-surface swirl to keep it nice and stable.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think my dislike of them comes more from the lighter stick ones that I tend to want to use more on the drop for shyer silvers.

The body on a 4,5 or 6 number 4 wire stem looks about twice the size of that on a wood or plastic stem stick. If you look at a 5AAA wire stem bolo, it doesn't look to bad in size to me with the extra size of body need to carry the wire stem being a smaller percentage. Also if I was to be using big avon/bolo, the chances are I would be trying to fish hard on the bottom for less shy biting things like chub and barbel, so not so bothered about size, weight and sensitivity.

I think my dislike of them comes more from the lighter stick ones that I tend to want to use more on the drop for shyer silvers.

The body on a 4,5 or 6 number 4 wire stem looks about twice the size of that on a wood or plastic stem stick. If you look at a 5AAA wire stem bolo, it doesn't look to bad in size to me with the extra size of body need to carry the wire stem being a smaller percentage. Also if I was to be using big avon/bolo, the chances are I would be trying to fish hard on the bottom for less shy biting things like chub and barbel, so not so bothered about size, weight and sensitivity.

The wire stemmed sticks I have have very fine wire Brian and thin little bodies, so it depends on the make of floats your using I think.

So why are they so stable? Is it just the size and weigh of them?

The reason they’re so stable is that the wire stem provides more ‘leverage’ for the shot to keep the float upright in turbulent water and because it’s wire the current doesn’t grab it and defeat the object of having the stem.

These are both 4g floats and the size of the buoyant bits are similar (albeit different shapes) but the Mahler float is a lot more stable.

DSCN1292_zps6cc720af.jpg

They’re brilliant floats but easy to break if you just chuck a few into your creel, who’d be daft enough to do that though :doh:

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Seems a bit of a silly test as they will fly much different on the line with a load of shot added, won't they?

Well yes, but how they behave in WATER with shot attached is the important point - as Steve said, the low centre of gravity and the leverage upon the stem is the crucial thing. Flying like a dart in air is just a happy coincidence associated with a well-balanced stick float.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The reason they’re so stable is that the wire stem provides more ‘leverage’ for the shot to keep the float upright in turbulent water and because it’s wire the current doesn’t grab it and defeat the object of having the stem.

These are both 4g floats and the size of the buoyant bits are similar (albeit different shapes) but the Mahler float is a lot more stable.

DSCN1292_zps6cc720af.jpg

They’re brilliant floats but easy to break if you just chuck a few into your creel, who’d be daft enough to do that though :doh:

Yes I get and will go with the leverage and shot bit, but just don't get the metal bit. Metal might make a thin stem, but its heavy and what you gain in the stem is more than lost in the body. and it all add extra weight to your rig. No?

A 4g Premier Avon next to a 2g Preston's stick, They Don't look much different in size.

post-10964-0-77455400-1422224554_thumb.jpg

Looking at the Premier woody's the biggest Alloy stick they make I don't think will be small, but it only carries 1.1g.

http://www.premierfishingfloats.co.uk/premier-woodys/shouldered-alloy-stick

Ian, What make and weight are these slim wire stems you have?