Tackers and School

Ken, sorry but what is new??? I started school in 1961 and I never had ANY help with the above till I left in 1972!

I would agree that SOME of the things you take as things you may expect a teacher to help with will NOT get done, i.e. Cuts and grazes. I as I say never got help with any of the above!! In fact I remember on one occasion one lad having to get on the bus from swimming half dressed because some sod nicked his pants!! :rolleyes:

I'm glad I went to school in a civilised country then because I did, and I didn't start school much later than you did Chris ('64).

Letting a little kid go all day with a dirty bottom is degrading, inhuman, bordering on cruelty or neglect.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the problem is a system that has children start school at too young an age? At 5 or 6 they can fend for themselves a bit better.

What is the situation with the "special needs" children who have physical limitations the prevent them being able to clean themselves? Surely they are not kept away from school or made to remain soiled all day.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't know how representative this guideline from Warwickshire is:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corpora...ng%20teacher%22

but it clearly states that "No child should be left wet or soiled for a parent/carer to change later".

I think the guidance on this might be left up to individual education authorities or even individual schools.

Edited by DavyR

To an extent I can understand the Teachers position as the whole climate for adults looking after kids these days is scary. I Coach a boys football team (u10) and I sometimes feel like I am being watched (not literally). On Saturday one of my Team could not get his socks on for the match. I tried to help him but found it awkward and was trying to help without any physical contact, tips of the fingers sort of approach. During the match one of my guys( a real no hoper 12 months ago who couldnt kick a ball who is now showing some promise) scored his first goal he came over to the touchline to celebrate, I wanted to give him a hug because it was a real milestone for him. Instead I just gave him a pat on the head. Its a sad indictment of our society that we are all so scared of inocent contact with kids.

I don't know how representative this guideline from Warwickshire is:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corpora...ng%20teacher%22

but it clearly states that "No child should be left wet or soiled for a parent/carer to change later".

I think the guidance on this might be left up to individual education authorities or even individual schools.

I have read it through and it mainly addresses kids with special needs, Brandon is four in mid October, at the pre-school nursery kids were always looked after well with a staff member helping out where need with toilet needs, including checking to make sure they had cleaned themselves properly and following up as required. They always ensured the child washed his/her hands after maintaining good health practices.

Here one month on he is expected to fend for himself and I fail to see how a kid of that age can be trusted to carry out toilet activities without supervision.

I started school age five and there is one hell of a difference in that year, he tries to do many things for himself but like all kids of that age he needs help at times.

I just find the whole situation very degrading for the children.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I have read it through and it mainly addresses kids with special needs

Sorry Ken, I should have made it clear that I was responding to Newt's query with regard to children with special needs.

My Sons school have a full time nurse on site who deals with "accidents" of all kinds, is this not standard practice?

We regularly get notes home from the nurse to inform us that he's had plasters on cuts, cold compresses on bumped heads etc.

They do have the same policy on helping kids get dressed though, and they have a full school uniform, so if you think you've got it bad, try teaching a 4 year old to dress himself in full collar/tie :) Which is what we had to do when he first started!

Mat

Mat

My Sons school have a full time nurse on site who deals with "accidents" of all kinds, is this not standard practice?

We regularly get notes home from the nurse to inform us that he's had plasters on cuts, cold compresses on bumped heads etc.

They do have the same policy on helping kids get dressed though, and they have a full school uniform, so if you think you've got it bad, try teaching a 4 year old to dress himself in full collar/tie :) Which is what we had to do when he first started!

Mat

The tie is the only thing missing and I am not concerned for myself, and Brandon being just over the road will not at the end of the day be a major problem, my concern is for the thousands of youngsters who have to go through this c**p when they should be enjoying growing up not walking around with c**p in their pants.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are Tackers?

Little ones :rolleyes::lol: Small humans :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

when i started school around 10 years ago teachers always used to help me in situations like those stated at the top, i think they stil should be able to but think the checks on these teachers need to be more vigorous