Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

Stavey.

Have you ever been fishing since the seventy’s? I fished in the seventy’s and I can assure you there is no comparison with the gear you used then and the gear or methods you use now.

We where fishing in the Danish sectors a month or so back and some Danish (commercial) gill netters called us up, they where working nets in the area (but not on the wrecks) we where working, fishing for turbots and sole. They said they could not afford to fish the wrecks as the price of the cod quota did not make it viable for them to catch it.

hello challenge

Yes i have been out a few days since the seventies :lol: but if the whole object of going fishing in the first place is to catch some fish! then i have to admit considering the results obtained to the many hundreds of hours spent to achieve a half decent goal i have failed miserably, perhaps i am crap at it? but then again the fact that there is jack shite there to catch might have something to do with it as well.

As regards the danish and other eu gill netters, well maybe the good old cfp as done you and john a favour challenge by bringing about these so called unworkable quota's and has help save what little stock of cod are left on these wrecks for you/john and your customers to catch, you'l want to see the eu slash the cod tac's even more this winter no doubt, i would personaly like to see a total ban for a few years altogether what is your thoughts on some sort of moratorium?????????????

cheers............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well for one ... i agree entirely with what challenge is saying on the matter of fishing on the boat in question

two... budgie can't knock the boat in question unless he's tried it three....(quote)it is certainly screwed but its not just the commercial boys but the "fishmongers" like you Challenge who dare to call your self anglers (how can he apply such application to the subject in question without trying it himself firsthand) four....i can spell correctly and consistantly and finally can you explain why ........ i quote(We tolerate some advertising-style threads, up to a point, for long time members which includes John.) that chieftain charters are put down as advertising (challenge/ WALLCOTT) but yet if you go to page 20 of the forum it is splattered with sea otter and whitby charter fishing festival details , yet the chieftain is a whitby based boat? if i am going a liitle bit astray please put me back on track NEWT if there was any offence taken by my comments to budgie then i whole heartedly retract them and apologise to budgie

regards......

Mr motorola are you a genuine angler or are something in disguise the latter i think, genuine anglers like to read reports regarding angling festivals etc it makes good reading and creates interest if do want to read it DONT READ IT and stop wingeing.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Mr motorola are you a genuine angler or are something in disguise the latter i think, genuine anglers like to read reports regarding angling festivals etc it makes good reading and creates interest if do want to read it DONT READ IT and stop wingeing.

hi paul, thats a funny one have you got anymore???

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Yes hello moto :D

hows the fishing been?

have you been off?

or are you still moored up with engine?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Being away a week but got a brand new spanker going in soon.

nice one! all the best.........

p.s. there's a photo of me on YOUR website so i must be an angler

Have to say Stavy if you cannot brag about an excellent fishing trip what the hells the point? Its like winning gold at the Olympics for some of those guys they have had a great experience.

As for promoting the boat and the unique (cannot spell unique) trips they offer do you buy everything you see on the tele ads or paper ads or radio ads? do you??

Its all part of the mix S. and its good reading, lets us know whats going on out there whats wrong with that?

Well done is what I say and thanks for sharing it with us Challenge.

CHEERS CLEM (TOP MAN)!!!! :yeah:

Guest challenge

Stavey.

Sorry for not getting back to you before now, but the sea again beckoned me to try and make a living from assisting anglers with there hobby upon it.

I believe that Motorola answered your inquires as to what gear and methods our anglers use when fishing with us.

I can assure you that Motorola and his party are about as genuine (regardless as to what others might suggest) as any anglers could be, one of his party having fished from Whitby (recreationally) since the very early sixty’s. Long before I and many others on here could lift a rod never mind fish the North Sea with one.

Motorola himself is a bit younger than the rest of his party but what he lacks in age he certainly makes up for with his enthusiasm for his sport.

when I mentioned that a reason that the Danes “where not working the wrecks because of the price of quota” the other reason being that they where getting a much better price for souls and turbots etc and the damage that they took to there gear where also major factors in them not working wrecks.

At the end of the day it is Brussels that make the decision on what cod quotas our commercial friends will be allowed next year. DEFRA can only recommend as so can the scientist. By the way the disastrous sand ell fishery and the bad management of this fishery have been firmly laid at the feet of ICES especially the Danish scientist. But that’s another story.

You will be glad to learn that we had no where the amount of fish this trip as we did the last.Thats fishing stavey, I hope that you’re fishing improves. Regards.

Motorola.

As I have said previously, I think you are a real angler mate, even if you do support that lot from the wrong side of the Pennines. Don’t take these things to heart Carl; you will have to tally up how many years sea fishing experience your party has between you? I reckon it would be frightening, but then again at times the truth often is.

Regards.

Guest challenge
Challenge,

It would be interesting to see an X in the squares of the map that you fish.

post-7-1159530679_thumb.jpg

Do they mostly match the areas containing good populations of cod, or the blank areas?

Hi Leon, told John about your question in the above post.

He said he would get back to you with some figures as soon as he got the time.

He keeps all the data and I am sure you must appreciate that it is his business and therefore I am reluctant to give out to much information. Never the less I believe John will supply any information that you or any body else would fine useful.

Regards.