Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

Stavey dont worry about the last cod in the sea because its allready safe the way the rules and regs are going there will be no comercial fleet left in a few years time :( too much conservation too many do gooders too much bureaucracy we as comercial fishermen will be gone before the cod so rest easy mate and chill go forth and get a life :)

Hello darlick

Thanks for your concerns :) i have a brilliant life and have no reason to change it, it might surprise you that i have some very good friends who were in the commercial fishing business and they have had a tough time in having to change theirs and i have a lot of sympathy and time for them, but they are now doing better financially he now drives a taxi and he's missus works in tesco's.

Your problem is the same as anglers bureaucracy! and until we stop dissagreeing and start agreeing on a few points the less the government would have to make the most of it, which in fairness is what wurzel keeps harping on about, cheers.........

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look Paul, at the end of the day you’re making assumptions? Assumptions that fish is today shovelled over the side by the boat load? You’re making assumptions that fish was shovelled over the side20 years ago?

You’ve never worked in the industry Paul so you can only make assumptions. I was working in the industry twenty years ago when you assume all this dumping was going on? Well I never witnessed it in the 15 years that I worked in it. And that Paul is no assumption. What goes on today I don’t know, I like you can only presume.

lets not make to many assumptions about an industry that we are not connected to when as this thread has proven, RSA have a long way to go before they understand what goes on within there own world.

Regards.

John a lot of lads who work in the commercial fishing i went to school with me and they tell me its being slaughter this summer we are not talking about one person here and surely they cant all be wrong can they?

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

John a lot of lads who work in the commercial fishing i went to school with me and they tell me its being slaughter this summer we are not talking about one person here and surely they cant all be wrong can they?

Hi bc

Maybe this situation might become a thing of the past if ices recomendations are not followed, i dont know if it would mean a bad or good thing? cheers......

http://www.ices.dk/aboutus/pressrelease/IC...0May%202006.pdf

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi bc

Maybe this situation might become a thing of the past if ices recomendations are not followed, i dont know if it would mean a bad or good thing? cheers......

http://www.ices.dk/aboutus/pressrelease/IC...0May%202006.pdf

Stavey dont believe ices its knee you know more cod now than there has ever been didnt you know that. :secret:

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello darlick

Thanks for your concerns :) i have a brilliant life and have no reason to change it, it might surprise you that i have some very good friends who were in the commercial fishing business and they have had a tough time in having to change theirs and i have a lot of sympathy and time for them, but they are now doing better financially he now drives a taxi and he's missus works in tesco's.

Your problem is the same as anglers bureaucracy! and until we stop dissagreeing and start agreeing on a few points the less the government would have to make the most of it, which in fairness is what wurzel keeps harping on about, cheers.........

Sorry about that line stavey you probably do have a good life.

Guest challenge

What I am trying to say here is we cannot seriously lobby for a fishery to be closed, on the foundation that somebody we went to school with told us.

all I can say is that I fished for 15 seasons on this fishery and I never sore any large amount of discards (and that was working 75 and 85ml nets) of cod.

if we (as anglers) where to campaign with commercial fishermen, to get more up to date research done of this fishery, to try and get it stopped (if that is watts needed) then I believe on this none assumption evidence we (commercial and recreational) fishermen can find some common ground in trying to sort out this problem. If a problem is proven to be there.

Regards.

What I am trying to say here is we cannot seriously lobby for a fishery to be closed, on the foundation that somebody we went to school with told us.

all I can say is that I fished for 15 seasons on this fishery and I never sore any large amount of discards (and that was working 75 and 85ml nets) of cod.

if we (as anglers) where to campaign with commercial fishermen, to get more up to date research done of this fishery, to try and get it stopped (if that is watts needed) then I believe on this none assumption evidence we (commercial and recreational) fishermen can find some common ground in trying to sort out this problem. If a problem is proven to be there.

Regards.

Hello Challenge,

I am sure the possible closure of any fishery will only follow extensive research on discard rates wich will prove or disprove the reports. I have to say I have been told they are "very,very high" by someone who has worked the last 2 seasons on it. Maybe it was diffrent when you worked it Challenge what with faster towing speeds and more small fish I dont know.

The thing is though if there is a chance that the survival of millions of fry at hardly any cost and cause so few fishermen depend on these few weeks anymore then its is at least worth exploring. If reasearch is done and a closure put in place even as a trial then everyone including your and J+Ms business may benifit. As you say if a problem is indeed there.

I have just read fishing news and they are giving the impression the north sea is knee deep in fish and the esturies full of small bass I fear we may be heading for a big shock if complacency sets in.

Regards.

John surely you cannot be serious when you say you didnt have any serious discard on 75ml and 80ml that is surely unbelievable when on a spawny fisherie, in true terms there was one hell of a lot more fish in them days and that goes for undersized codlings as well also there was a hell of a lot more breeding stock.

What i am saying is the lads have to make a living nobody wouldnt want any boat to go out of buisness that is tottally a no no but there needs to be some sort of solution during the spawny time boats do very well and have probably there biggest weeks of the year at this time but at what cost its a hard one compensation looks the anser but dont hold your breath.

Untitled-1.jpg

On and on it goes but noone willing to do anything. No point in this conversation here.

There is up to date research very specific to this fishery from 2003-2005 off our coast. It is pretty easy to locate on the cefas website. Discards are suggested as high and the fishery as being of a juvenile stock - what more info do you need. Im afraid at the moment this isnt significant in the minds of the eu or Defra - debating it here wont begin to make it so.

Guest challenge
John surely you cannot be serious when you say you didnt have any serious discard on 75ml and 80ml that is surely unbelievable when on a spawny fisherie, in true terms there was one hell of a lot more fish in them days and that goes for undersized codlings as well also there was a hell of a lot more breeding stock.

What i am saying is the lads have to make a living nobody wouldnt want any boat to go out of buisness that is tottally a no no but there needs to be some sort of solution during the spawny time boats do very well and have probably there biggest weeks of the year at this time but at what cost its a hard one compensation looks the anser but dont hold your breath.

I know I did not go to school with you but the fact that I witnessed it for 15 years makes me deadly serious.