Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to whether it's sustainable or not, you've got to think about how it would be if the same skipper took a different party each day to the same few wrecks, week in and week out, just like a lot of them do. Is that sustainable?

Frankly, from the point of view of fish sustainability, I would say it would be more sustainable for fish stocks in general if the same few wrecks were fished on a very regular basis. However, it would be far less sustainable for the charter angling business.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Guest challenge
At first glance, challenge's post does seem a bit sensationalist. No doubt designed to grab everyones attention. But Like Stan said, look at it a bit deeper.

70 hour trip? What's an average charter trip? 10 hours including steaming time? It'll be something like that anyway. So the trip challenge is talking about is the equivelant of 7 seperate charter trips, or put it another way, just under a years worth of boat fishing for the average angler if you say he books one trip per month and has a few blown off every year. Suddenly the results of that 70 hour trip don't look so remarkable.

As to whether it's sustainable or not, you've got to think about how it would be if the same skipper took a different party each day to the same few wrecks, week in and week out, just like a lot of them do. Is that sustainable?

Steve. To start with I again assure you I did not intend to sensationalize what a party of anglers caught.

This trip was by no means our best trip of the year. The quality of the fish was the best I have seen this year, well fed fish, (by no means the biggest) in prime condition.

We have had trips where we have caught and kept more fish than that particular trip.

And your correct in saying some of our anglers only have one or two trips with us a year.

We still have many wrecks that fished superb last year left to visit this year. Because of the amount of fish we have not had to visit as many wrecks as we did last year.

Unfortunately the season is drawing to a close and it looks as if these (unvisited wrecks) won’t get any attention till next year.

Let’s put it this way toerag.

If they wanted to catch a lot more fish then they could have.

well done challenge

i was on that trip in question, and i was over the moon with the fishing on those 2 days . and i must also credit you on the way that the fish is prepared (by you) before going into the chiller! i cannot understand why people would want to bad mouth the fishing trip/boat in question; as it has everything that a angler could possibly want for a fishing holiday....GREAT CREW, GREAT FOOD, GREAT COMPANY AND ABOVE ALL THE FISHING IS GREAT TOO. what else could an angler wish for. i thoroughly agree with your views on what happens with the fish after it leaves the boat and goes home to the anglers. i personally have a large family with 3 children and they love fish for dinner aswell as that , i also have a a brother and sister , mother aunties and uncles who all offer to pay for it but don't take anything for it as they are family. the only payment i get is the compliments of how enjoyable it was to eat. i think the problem with fish levels is more down to the fact that our government are too busy keeping every other country happy and not too much bothered about our own. its all POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND DO GOODERS!!!

its about time we got something done about it

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009