Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

Well we are doing well with the management of the cockles in our district Wurzel :)

Hello Leon

You mean the mining of cockles? not quite what I had in mind.

I would have thought that the fishing that the Cheiftain is doing is probably sustainable, he is just the one boat and is rotating the wrecks so that he fishes each mark after it has been rested for several months, most times only visiting each mark once a year.

But if there were ten or a dozen boats doing the same as what happened during the 70's from ports like Plymouth, then its not so much as not a sustainable fishery, more a case of the fishing won't sustain that many boats, a balance is normally reached naturally, economics normally sort it out, same as commercial fisheries. Management usually just gets in the way.

Hello challenge

A good catch well done, I ve always said there's not much wrong he cod stocks in the north sea.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Hello challenge, is your real name Captain Birds Eye?

I notice that you were once a commercial fisherman. So was I and it took years to get it out of my blood, I went total cold turkey! Put my partner through hell with my cravings, I would suddenly wake up in the middle of the night with an uncontrollable urge to go out and catch loads of fish to sell.

But with the help of my family we got through it together.

Challenge, until you want to help your self-mate there isn’t any one out there that can help you!

Hello Sam.

When I stopped commercial fishing I stopped it because I wanted a change. I left the fishing industry and went to work in the oil industry.

I took a big pay cut to go and work in the offshore oil industry but money isn’t everything when you want a change.

I did enjoy my time in the fishing industry but wanted to try something else before age would get the better of me.

I worked in the oil industry for 13 years before I decided that early retirement after a good part of my life spent in the North Sea sounded a good idea.

I messed around doing what I wanted to do for a year before John offered me a job with chieftain charters. I knew John from the seventy’s when I fished commercially with him for a short while. I have worked with John now for 4 years, again at sea but doing something completely different in that for once in my life I can honestly say that I (with the help of john and Michele) have made a lot of people happy.

Job satisfaction has meant a lot to me in my working career. I still get the same buzz out of it that I got at 15 years old when I set foot upon my first boat to go to sea and make a living. Thanks Sam but I need no help.

Edited by challenge

Challenge,what you fail to realise is that you can still provide a great service to your customers and to a certain degree influence their attitudes towards angling.....without whole sale fish mongering.I think that us who make a living from the sport are morally indebted to try and put something back into it and not just litterally!

Yes the acid test is the quality of the fishing but quality doesnt have to equate to stones of fillets does it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest challenge
Thats not the point really, the point is publicly showing off a large catch of cod and using it to try and say that there isn't a problem with the cod stocks. Its just that my personal ethos has changed from being catch and take everything, to a more conservational approach to my angling and my personal feelings are that we should all be thinking that way, and as a way towards that I no longer go wreck fishing (nearly all my fishing is now inshore) . Its not about being ashamed of catching too many fish its about fishing in a manner that allows you to release a few of them once you have caught a reasonable amount for your own consumption, as far as I am concerned.

And I totally agree. That’s why I fish the way I fish when I want a day or twos fishing.

We do not force any angler to keep fish. We do not ask anglers to put fish back (unless they are undersize) what we do is we give the anglers that come with us the choice.

That’s what they want and that’s what we do our utmost to give them.

I assure you I wasn’t trying to show off. Why should I? We have nothing to prove. What I was trying to say is that there is cod still out there, more this year than in the past 4 years.

What is wrong with stating facts with proof behind these facts instead of continuously reading internet attachments about scientific evidence saying that there is no cod left?

Hello challenge

What I was trying to say is that there is cod still out there, more this year than in the past 4 years.

What is wrong with stating facts with proof behind these facts instead of continuously reading internet attachments about scientific evidence saying that there is no cod left?

Carefull, you will be accused of not living in the real world , looking through rose tinted glasses, coming from a different planet even.

I fish to live and live to fish.

No theres nothing wrong with catching fish your right, but if those fish are a particular species that is on the verge of collapse because of whatever? killing (not just catching) stones of there mature breeding stock and advocating it, is not acceptable imho and you should be ashamed

The thing is Stavey this is a sustainable fiishery as said before.

It is as eco friendly , environmently pc as it comes mate its not like stcking dynamite, mono nets, dredges, steel beams about. Do you know what damage is caused?

But Stavy the most important thing is it provides jobs, enjoyment and an imput into the local economy. What is wrong with that?

GREAD, GREAD, GREAD!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Gents - if you want to continue the endless 'discussions' about the state of the Cod stock with the there are plenty camp arguing with the the numbers are at or below danger levels group, feel free.

Do, however, quit the nasty personal comments against those you don't agree with. If you see something offensive, please report it rather than responding to it directly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

At first glance, challenge's post does seem a bit sensationalist. No doubt designed to grab everyones attention. But Like Stan said, look at it a bit deeper.

70 hour trip? What's an average charter trip? 10 hours including steaming time? It'll be something like that anyway. So the trip challenge is talking about is the equivelant of 7 seperate charter trips, or put it another way, just under a years worth of boat fishing for the average angler if you say he books one trip per month and has a few blown off every year. Suddenly the results of that 70 hour trip don't look so remarkable.

As to whether it's sustainable or not, you've got to think about how it would be if the same skipper took a different party each day to the same few wrecks, week in and week out, just like a lot of them do. Is that sustainable?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.