A few sea shore landscapes from this morning

Chippy

That water effect is excellent. Lets guess (being an expert now :rolleyes: ) Shutter speed 2.5 secs??? :)

Snatcher just read the camera setting info on the picture bottom left hand corner.

:lol::headhurt::):P

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snatcher just read the camera setting info on the picture bottom left hand corner.

:lol::headhurt::):P

Cheers gotcha :) Told you I was new to this game :drunk::drunk:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

today I went and got myself a 400D all i got to do is get me some decent glass, those lenses of yours really are superb.

Mark

Mark

Please tell me you didn't get it locally - or did you get a good deal?

I bought all my gear from warehouse express in the uk - much cheaper! The 17-40mm F4L is a superb lens - it's almost permanently been on my camera and relatively cheap too (for an L lens).

The 400D is nice though, i bumped into a mate the other day who had his on him.

That really is stunning stuff Chippy. And you site is absolutley brilliant. How do you get the whispy water effect? I thought that to get that effect you'd have to give up crispness, seeing as how the rest of the waves in the background are moving.

HB

HB

In daylight, you'll need some way of reducing the light coming into the camera, to force a longer shutter speed. You can either drop the ISO as low as possible (i used ISO 50 and that still wasn't enough), use the smallest apertue possible (i was maxed out at F22 and still not enough), and/or use a ND (not a grad) filter. I used an ND8 which reduces the shutter speed by 8 stops (i think). I then also used an medium ND grad as well to bring the sky/water within a few stops of exposure of each other.

Shutter speed only effects sharpness if you're hand holding. I use a big, heavy Benbo Mk1 tripod for my stuff. That way anything moving blurs and anything stationary in the shot stays sharp.

One word of caution. A few of the shots were taken with the camera tripod on the sand. As the water rushed over the sand that the tripod was standing on, it saturated and went like jelly, resulting in the tripod sinking slightly and a few ruined shots. The sharpest ones were with the tripod setup on a rock.

Hope that helps. And thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Mark

Please tell me you didn't get it locally - or did you get a good deal?

I bought all my gear from warehouse express in the uk - much cheaper! The 17-40mm F4L is a superb lens - it's almost permanently been on my camera and relatively cheap too (for an L lens).

The 400D is nice though, i bumped into a mate the other day who had his on him.

Well having looked around the net to find a decent price and being as i'm tight ;) I finally settled for locally grown fotosound ( http://www.fotosounddirect.com ) it was £519.99 with the kit lense (18-55) or £495.99 if you order it from their website, I did'nt have the patience to wait any longer having my other camera die on me about a month ago was like having my arm chopped off nevermind the withdrawl symptoms, so I took the plunge into the realm of lenses (Eek), it was either the 30D or the 400D so I opted for the latter leaving me some free funds towards my first lens.

I'ts a nice camera out of the box and the lens is ok if a bit chromatic at times so to speak but i'm sure it will really come to life once i've bolted on the 17-40 L (the missus is really going to love me) ;).

Thanks for the heads up on warehouse express, as you know we're stuck for choice/prices over here when it comes to shopping for kit, I'm sure everyone thinks we're millionares lol, gotta look after the pennies byecry :).

Mark

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Chippy, sorry to say I do not like that effect with water, seems to me that some good shots have been spoilt.

Nothing natural about any of the pics.....sorry :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thanks for the advise Chippy. I'm starting to come to grips with the F settings now.

While were on it, which way do you think I should go with the next camera. It'll be a while before I can afford it but I'm looking at either a 400D (new) and a 30D (used).

HB.

rb_getcreative.gif

Thanks for the advise Chippy. I'm starting to come to grips with the F settings now.

While were on it, which way do you think I should go with the next camera. It'll be a while before I can afford it but I'm looking at either a 400D (new) and a 30D (used).

HB.

The 400D looks really nice at the moment.

In daylight, you'll need some way of reducing the light coming into the camera, to force a longer shutter speed. You can either drop the ISO as low as possible (i used ISO 50 and that still wasn't enough), use the smallest apertue possible (i was maxed out at F22 and still not enough), and/or use a ND (not a grad) filter. I used an ND8 which reduces the shutter speed by 8 stops (i think). I then also used an medium ND grad as well to bring the sky/water within a few stops of exposure of each other.

I have a Hoya ND8 and my understanding of it when I was investigating which type I wanted was that an ND2 reduces by one stop, ND4 by two and an ND8 - three stops.

Tiffen and B+W have 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 ND filters for reducing one, two and three stops of light.

BTW Chippy, I've not heard of a grad ND filter, is that a screw in or do you have as a part of a cokin system?

For those wanting to try out this method of photography without the filters mentioned you can try in the half light of dawn dusk, trial and error this is but you can get results if its dark enough. I have seen reasonable results attained shooting these type of shots at night.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I have a Hoya ND8 and my understanding of it when I was investigating which type I wanted was that an ND2 reduces by one stop, ND4 by two and an ND8 - three stops.

BTW Chippy, I've not heard of a grad ND filter, is that a screw in or do you have as a part of a cokin system?

For those wanting to try out this method of photography without the filters mentioned you can try in the half light of dawn dusk, trial and error this is but you can get results if its dark enough. I have seen reasonable results attained shooting these type of shots at night.

Steve...:)

Thanks Steve, must admit I wasn't too sure how many stops it reduced.

The ND Grads are cokin P sized filters, they come in the same strengths as the full ND filters - ND2, ND4 and ND8. They great for balancing the sky with the foreground.

As Den, rightly pointed out, it can look a bit odd having lots of motion blur in full daylight and would be a bit more natural looking at dawn/dusk. I actually quite like it but each to their own i guess.