Peeler Velvet crabs banned by NESFC ?

glennk

A fisherman used a red crab next to me fishing off Mumbles, Swansea island.

Cast in and 5 seconds later hooked on to and then landed a 6 1/2 monster Bass!

That was the only bait he used

Some areas have different rules. nesfc say you cant use them no matter the size. In other areas you can use the legal sized ones.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nigel was at the meeting and never mentioned any change on the velvet front.

Nothing has changed, the law has always been 2 lobsters, 10 crabs (edibles and or velvets) or 30 whelks for unlicensed fishermen. A separate byelaw makes it illegal to use brown crab as bait full stop, whether it is sized or not. As for a ban on velvets that is news to me, it certainly hasn't been discussed at committee level, and we had a scientific & byelaws working group meeting yesyerday which included a revision of the new permit sheme, there was no discussion on or papers provided indicating that velvet crab are to be banned as a bait. There is no need. Sounds like either a bit of scaremongering or someone has miss heard or misinterpreted a conversation.

There are no records of any anglers being taken to court over the possesion of undersized crabs for bait skippy, a few have been warned, but that is all.

Steve Cops, fraid your wrong there mate, the NESFC officers can follow you to your house and ask to look in your bait bucket, tackle box, even waders if they suspect you are in breach of regulations, they are only limited outside the 6 mile marine limit. In addition they are warranted, so they don't need to have a copper present for any search or to arrest you. A few years ago a local fisherman refused a search of his van, he then pushed the officer away when he tried to restrain him, a hefty fine was his reward.

cheers

Doc.

There are no records of any anglers being taken to court over the possesion of undersized crabs for bait skippy, a few have been warned, but that is all.

cheers

Doc.

An angler i fished with at Filey told me........ appologies for incorrect info :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

I'd have to question how they intend to enforce any ban on crabs as bait. Does a fisheries officer have the legal right to search you, or your bait bucket? I somehow doubt it. Maybe they can search a licenced fishing boat, but I can't imagine they would be able to search an anglers bucket. What would he do if you told him to f*** off and mind his own business? What powers would he have? A fisheries officer couldn't restrain you physically, and I don't think they have any powers of arrest so they would have to call the police, who would of course drop everything and come running. Yeah, right!

If they have the same powers as an EA bailiff then they will have full power of arrest, and are warranted, so they don't need to have a policeman and a warrant to search you. If you smack one or tell him to **** off, it would just be like assualting or swearing at a policeman.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest challenge
Next they will be banning worms, razors mussels,if its commercial value ban anglers from using them it absolultly stinks they take thousands of stones of brown crab commercially every day from the sea and to stop anglers from taking a few for bait its nothing short of a discrace you can buy them for eating but you cant use them for bait clowns , it makes my ****ing blood boil.

The ban also includes commercial fishermen using brown crab for bait, or any other crab come to that. Crab is the finest bait you can get for lobster.

Lets not all jump on the bandwagon here and think that recreational fishermen are being persecuted for the sake of the commercial fisherman. Not this time anyway.

The ban also includes commercial fishermen using brown crab for bait, or any other crab come to that. Crab is the finest bait you can get for lobster.

Lets not all jump on the bandwagon here and think that recreational fishermen are being persecuted for the sake of the commercial fisherman. Not this time anyway.

now john we can use velvets provided they are sized 65 mm not to use brown crab at all we do get checked inside but they dont check off side at the moment very few sized brown inside apparently the new fisheries boat that is on order will have the gear to check deep water gear pots etc lobster size to go up from 87 mm to 90 mm