Peeler Velvet crabs banned by NESFC ?

glennk

I read this by Sam Harris.I know edibles shouldnt be taken but does anyone know if the bit about velvet peelers is true ?

I havent heared anything of that.

There have been a lot of worried anglers on the North East coast over the last couple of months when it was heard that the North East Sea Fisheries Committee were planning to implement some drastic changes to certain by-laws. One of the changes was to be the cessation of the collection of green shore crab from the shoreline between the Tyne and Humber. I spoke to David McCandless of the Sea Fisheries, who assures me that, although these changes had been planned, the Committee have since had a change of heart and it is 'business as usual' for anglers to take peeler and soft-back GREEN shore crab and there is no restriction on the amount of these taken. On the other hand, the taking of soft and peeler edible and velvet crab is to be banned.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we have an outright ban on edbile (red) crabs- even the size ones shouldnt be used as bait. I thought you could use velvets as long as they were size. Their banning is news to me.

Next they will be banning worms, razors mussels,if its commercial value ban anglers from using them it absolultly stinks they take thousands of stones of brown crab commercially every day from the sea and to stop anglers from taking a few for bait its nothing short of a discrace you can buy them for eating but you cant use them for bait clowns , it makes my ****ing blood boil.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

if its commercial value ban anglers from using them it absolultly stinks

Yep, and when they've stopped us from collecting bait, they'll stop us from keeping any fish!

they take thousands of stones of brown crab commercially every day from the sea and to stop anglers from taking a few for bait its nothing short of a discrace

Never mind about the number of brown crabs landed commercially, what about the numbers that get caught in gill nets and smashed to a pulp with a mallet!

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Like I say Paul, Not actually sure its true. Last I heared you could take Velvets so long as they were legal size, but not red eaters which apparently you can use for bait if you cook them first.

Nigel was at the meeting and never mentioned any change on the velvet front.

A fisherman used a red crab next to me fishing off Mumbles, Swansea island.

Cast in and 5 seconds later hooked on to and then landed a 6 1/2 monster Bass!

That was the only bait he used

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

I'd have to question how they intend to enforce any ban on crabs as bait. Does a fisheries officer have the legal right to search you, or your bait bucket? I somehow doubt it. Maybe they can search a licenced fishing boat, but I can't imagine they would be able to search an anglers bucket. What would he do if you told him to f*** off and mind his own business? What powers would he have? A fisheries officer couldn't restrain you physically, and I don't think they have any powers of arrest so they would have to call the police, who would of course drop everything and come running. Yeah, right!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.