RMT backs drink driving

barry luxton

Steve I don't anybody to tell me what damage scalloping does I have fished the grounds of whitby for 30 + and last year what I saw due to destruction of the seabed by dredges was very disturbing indeed any peaks on the ground flattened where they have going over and over it yes flattened I have an excellent sounder an koden chromascope with excellent bottom expansion the ground was barely reconizable where they had constantly gone over and over it .

One particular piece of ground with was very prolific as long as I have going to sea is like a desert now shocking so Steve I don't need any reminding about scallop dredging how many crabs and lobsters do you think they smash to bits on each of there tows on virgin ground .

You could allways tell if they had been on virgin ground stacks of sea urchins would be floating all the place ripped off the bottom .

Scallop dredgeing is to dig the scallops up what do you thing about them changing the hooks on the dredges every few hours does that tell you what damage they are doing to the bottom there is lot people especially potters who were in despair with the scallopers something need to be done and it has now not before time .

Steve the lobster fisherie was very good before the scallopers turned up 90% of lobsters caught off whitby are caught inside of 3 mile on the best of ground the lads who potts further off get more crab than lobsters its mystery with all the potts in the sea why lobsters stand the hammer they get potts on the ground all the year round but a lobsters biggist enemy is actually a herring they eat lobster larvie but there numbers have are nothing these days so the hatch of the lobsters survive in great numbers mystery solved.

We have some great reefs here or we did have they need protecting they home fish ,crabs lobsters and much marine life if they arent protected the long term implications will be massive just look round the country where they have closed areas down because of this method of fishing .

I know two lads who have been potting for years they have hanged there boots up now **** with the scallopers fear of losing gear enough is enough some potters have lost many thousands of pounds worth of gear towed away how would you like that we have ground here that holds cod in numbers something a lot places around the uk would crave to have if it aint protected its game over ..

Paul

Paul I am not being cheeky but I have owned and operated scallop boats for 30 years (we regularly fished your local waters 20+ years ago, it's nothing new), sea angled for 45 years, owned sea angling boats for 25 years, have several potters from all over the country among my best friends who I speak to on a daily basis and I am a member of our local potting Association, so being frank you might find someone better to try and mislead, I might not be your best choice ever regarding all or any of the above.

Regarding your two mates, it has been rare over the last 2 years to read the Fishing News and there not to be at least one new addition to the potting fleet in that area per month, what are these boats fishing for, water?

The explosion in potting effort in the area is the great unmentionable but it's there in black and white, a huge increase in vessels working incredible amounts of gear, in excess of 170,000 pots in only part of the area was a figure that I was quoted a long time ago by a FO.

Ps....Herring numbers are nothing these days!....please tell me you don't expect me or anyone else to take that seriously?

Pps....if you worry so much about the local Cod stock (I see no issue so have no problem with what anyone takes) stop taking what can only be described as industrial quantites on a regular basis, do your part if indeed there are concerns. How can you possibly justify take take take from what you seem to describe as relatively resident stock, or have you stopped the slaughter of those big breeding fish, 500,000 eggs per KG of body weight?

I really struggle to see how your whining fits in with your reporting, the two are a desperately poor fit, either or might be correct, but both....seriously!! -

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35828.0

Edited by stevieg
  • Like 1

I scallop dredging good for, bad for or neutral to the lobster's habitat?

Any potter I know has no issue with it, the local ones here seem to think it improves Lobster recruitment.

These are of course real world guys, they do not see the marine environment as an aquarium but as a fast moving dynamic ever changing arena, which is exactly what it is.

Could be time to limit the potting and angling now. Balance and fairness and ntz's within 6 mile. B)

The damage to the reefs by the pots dragging over it and the up tide anchor and chains must be horrific.

Where have all the 30-50lb cod gone?

Close it all down.

Is Big cod right, but more needs to be done.

bring in TAT and roskilly.

:doh:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

And in true ANET style, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic, ye harrrrrrrr e5002037.gif

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

And in true ANET style, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic, ye harrrrrrrr e5002037.gif

errm do you mind mister, we're 'aving a conversation here and attempting to sort out some management issues for Whitby that the local ifca can't. Close it all down, job done. No more issues, no more management.

:D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I bet the RMT thug wishes he could divert the hurrah about the drunken driver. :doh: oooops, i should say alledged drunk driver. :busted_cop:

• Like 1

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Any potter I know has no issue with it, the local ones here seem to think it improves Lobster recruitment.

These are of course real world guys, they do not see the marine environment as an aquarium but as a fast moving dynamic ever changing arena, which is exactly what it is.

I'm not really interested in what people "seem to think". I have seen TV interviews with people who "seem to think" that they were abducted by aliens form another Galaxy or from another part of the Milky Way.

Dredging for scallops must be either beneficial for, detrimental to, or have a neutral affect on the environment, so which is it?

I too am a "real world guy", with a healthy addiction for empirical evidence and not frequently convinced by what people "seem to think".

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I'm not really interested in what people "seem to think". I have seen TV interviews with people who "seem to think" that they were abducted by aliens form another Galaxy or from another part of the Milky Way.

Dredging for scallops must be either beneficial for, detrimental to, or have a neutral affect on the environment, so which is it?

I too am a "real world guy", with a healthy addiction for empirical evidence and not frequently convinced by what people "seem to think".

Ah, a "theory guy", you must get very frustrated at how often and how poorly theories sometimes translate into aquatic real world.

Me, I am just going to stick with what the real world guys "seem to think" rather than what the armachair experts say must happen, it has served me very well up until now, so I am very interested in what people who know the know "seem to think". Strangely even the "experts" are increasingly turning to the "seem to think" guys for real world advice on many issues, but let us not let reality etc etc.

Your question regarding scallop dredging is a strange if simplistic one, the marine "environment" has an infinite amount of permutations. Is sea angling harmful to humans, I am sure that if you fished a match on Brighton Beach on a busy summer day it would be potentially deadly to humans....just as scallop dredging, anchoring, wreck angling, or whatever would be detrimental to the marine environment in certain circumstances.

some of my tea last night included scallops and crab, along with some sushi, bloody marvellous it was to, thanks to the guys who go out and provide.

So three paragraphs of word salad but still no answer to the original simple question.

What is your issues woth the word "theory". I trust you know the difference between the word's colloquial use and the scientific use of the term?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote