Pirana in Stockport !

Ken L

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...89-1702,00.html

Good job it died or the EA would have poisoned the whole water !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Well if it was dying because of the cold why was it still feeding?

I'm sure the stress of all the lads mates having a prod and poke finished to poor thing off.:(

I'd like to see a picture of the 'piranha', because if I remember correctly, back in the 60s or 70s, there were a lot of cichlids in the nearby St Helens canal. Escapees from a pet shop I think. The warm water outlets on the canal made it possible for them to breed. Matches were won with them. I also think that many a hook length was cut through by their teeth.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

i've got a couple of stuffed pirhanas and they look remarkably similar to that one!

anyone who could read the quotes on the ananove piece and not smell some kind of rat is a bit of an idiot too! the kid comes across like some kind of stockportian pirhana expert

If it's a Red Bellied Piranha, it's certainly lost it's colour.

Yes, I have caught both black piranha and red-bellied piranha, and the Stockport fish looks nothing like a red-bellied, but more like a black - although black piranhas vary a lot, and there are numerous other species of piranha also.

However most species only grow to a pound or so - AFAIK the black is the biggest of the piranhas

Here is a pic of a black for comparison - The blacks I have caught had red eyes, but the Stockport fish hasn't

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/black-piranha.htm

Hope to tell you a bit more about piranhas when I return to the UK next month.

BTW As to the circumstances surrounding this fish, I would give the lad the benefit of the doubt.......

The fins look OK in the first pic, but have shredded a few days later.

...as for the lad being a piranha expert, anyone catching one goes into a steep learning curve when they see the teeth :rolleyes: - I wrapped my first in a towel - catching and releasing piranhas is like changing sparking plugs whilst the car engine is running :yeah:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'd like to see a picture of the 'piranha', because if I remember correctly, back in the 60s or 70s, there were a lot of cichlids in the nearby St Helens canal. Escapees from a pet shop I think. The warm water outlets on the canal made it possible for them to breed. Matches were won with them. I also think that many a hook length was cut through by their teeth.
You are quite right gozzer the place where the cichlids bred was known locally as the hotties. my son in law and his dad used to fish there

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

For some seriously fun fishing, you might want to try the Florida Everglades where there is now a very healthy breeding population of Oscars.

I haven't been down there yet but I'm told they are lots of fun on light tackle.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President