Perfect Fishing TV Programme

AndyTV

How about one like this,

'Ordinary' anglers, by that I mean not celebrities, nor people well known in angling circles, writers guides etc, write in and tell us where they fish and for what species. for example,

'Hiya, my name is Jimmy, I am 40 and have my own small roofing business, I love Pike fishing in the water around my home in the northern lake district. I have my own boat and am really into lure fishing, I have tried to get away with deadbaiting but without lots of sucess (we are not allowed to livebait). I read all the theory in the magazines and books, but feel that I am not fishing to full potential with both lures and baits, can you help?

The programme sends up Mick Brown, or another experienced Pike angler who can not only do the business with the fish, but is also used to the concept of the camera and programme making. 'Jimmy' show his gear and his usual methods and then the 'expert' provides his suggestions. The elements of appeal for this format are, lots of the veiwers will be able to relate to 'Jimmy' as he is typical of thousands of us, the 'wow' factor of a day Piking with Mick (we are living in the age of celebrity) would be a significant.

It would provide a platform to get away from the stereotype of anglers being middle aged men. For example,

'Hello, I am Sue for years I have thrown my energies into my career and am part of the management of the agency for which I work, my partner became was concerned that I was finding it difficult to unwind so she booked me in for a surprize day with a fly fishing tutor, it was great but I feel that to take it forward more help would be needed'.

Sue gets a day on e Trout res with Bob Church or Bob Wilson.

Hi, I am Ben, I have fished since I was a kid, now in my mid 20s I am confined to a wheelchair following a motor bike accident. I really miss Chub fishing, and can't seem to find water with good access for wheelchair users, can you help'

A challenge for the programme makers here, you need a knowledgeable Chub angler (Matt hayes?) and perhaps someone who has successfully overcame a physical disibility to carry on angling.

The following would be good and potentially controvertial, but surley progressive?

''My name is Piotr, I recently moved to the UK from my native Poland, I love to fish, however I have been refused membership of the local angling clubs and I experience hostility from anglers who I ask for information about fishing in this country, I feel that it would be good to learn about English fishing.'

There are lots of potential variation on the above, but the essence would be to show 'real' people/anglers, being taken out by the aknowleged experts, something which lots of us would like to happen. I know that we have often said when struggling on the lake, 'if Mick Brown was in the boat with us would ther be more fish in it too!'

If you like that idea and it takes off, and you need a consultant/writer then I need a job right now! :):)

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the successful applicants get a 'Emma Fixed It For Me' Badge. :D;)

John.

Yes it is something like that :D , I could read out the letters, and a don't mind a cigar now and then but I'm simply NOT doing the dodgy tracksuit thing' ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

A mainstream TV angling programme should have poetry at its heart, superb wildlife filming, be evocative of the 'feeling' of angling, and provide the overall experience of being in the heart of nature.

That's already been done, of course :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A mainstream TV angling programme should have poetry at its heart, superb wildlife filming, be evocative of the 'feeling' of angling, and provide the overall experience of being in the heart of nature.

Unfortunately, I suspect that for most anglers these days, the heart of nature consists of a neatly gravelled platform on a symmetrical lake where the sound of birds is drowned out by the noise of the generator for the burger van and the rustle of crisp packets dancing in the breeze.

Unfortunately, I suspect that for most anglers these days, the heart of nature consists of a neatly gravelled platform on a symmetrical lake where the sound of birds is drowned out by the noise of the generator for the burger van and the rustle of crisp packets dancing in the breeze.

I suspect you're right - but if a mainstream programme showed that side of angling, it'd be a lot closer to being banned, believe me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I really like Emma's idea.

I could be one of the clueless anglers

My program would be on fly fishing for tarpon in Cuba. :rolleyes:

Just as long as I don't have to put up with John Wilson's laughing or those sqeaky voiced pair from Passion for Angling.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I really like Emma's idea.

I think the format would appeal to a wider audience than a straight forward angling prog'.

With TV's preoccupation with 'fly on the wall', and 'reality' type programmes, I would have thought that this could be taken up by someone.

But they would probably want to use some little known 'Z list celeb' to be the amateur angler, and spoil the whole concept. <_<

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

How about getting 12 anglers, say a couple of carp boys, a couple of fly fishermen, a couple of sea anglers, a couple of "all-round" specimen hunters, a couple of novice anglers and a couple of long term anglers who are actually useless. Then lock them inside a private fishery complex.

With hidden cameras, you watch them as they sleep, or stay awake and fish, or sleep and fish. Over the next few weeks, you watch as they all help each other out, with challenges like:

1. Not swearing for 24 hours

2. Not mentioning race, creed or colour, of any one else in the programme.

3. Not have sex with each other, for 24 hrs (Elton wouldn't manage it).

4. Speak to each other at low tones, not by mobile, but by reeling in and walking round for a chat with another angler.

5. Not getting drunk, or smoking dope, for 24 hrs.

Every week, they decide which angler they want to throw out and it goes to a public vote. The decision is made on Fridays, and the least liked, or at least the one which the Sun doesn't like, is made to fish for bream for a week. If there is uproar from the public, a Blonde with big boobs (Male or Female) could be introduced at the waterside, to divert the attention.

At the end of the series, the winner will be given 6 months as an Anglers' Mail celebrity column writer, have breast implants and then be given his/her own carpentry programme on UKTV Style.

It's bound to be a winner!

Edited by Dunk Fairley

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

How about getting 12 anglers, say a couple of carp boys, a couple of fly fishermen, a couple of sea anglers, a couple of "all-round" specimen hunters, a couple of novice anglers and a couple of long term anglers who are actually useless. Then lock them inside a private fishery complex.

It's bound to be a winner!

You'd have to have a couple of Eastern Europeans, (to provide ethnic diversity), at least one overtly 'gay' guy, a lesbian, and a couple with some form of psychosis, (Oh sorry, I see you've already added some carp anglers ;)).

Apart from that I think you've got it covered Dunk. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John