Final Week Plans?

Chris Plumb

I planned an assault on the perch at Deerdrink this morning.

Plan was to catch a tiny perch or two, then use them as bait along the base of the heavily overgrown dam wall.

Bright sun, cold NE wind, so thought catching even bait might be difficult. However, a bite a chuck - roach, rudd, perch, roach-bream hybrids. Stacks of 'em

Trouble was ...all of them too big for useful baits, yet not big enough to get excited about.

Norma had a good morning though - wandered up the headwater and, using a bit of woodcraft, located a pair of mandarin ducks prospecting for a nesting site.

The wind was quite chilly, so got quite sharp-set, and therefore made a move home to a late lunch of homemade cock-a-leekie soup and a suitable quantity of grilled cheddar cheese on toast.

I'm glad I went though.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Blanked chubbing again today but planning a return visit tomorrow. I've got a feeling that Thursday might be my end of season, Friday turns cold with a brisk northerly arriving bringing heavy rain with it. Whilst Saturday will be dry the cold wind will still be blowing, max temp is forecast to be 6 degrees C. My 'last cast' was going to be for perch on the K&A canal, I'll stick to that but confidence is ebbing away.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

One bite tonight which I missed matt did better untitled_zpsv9h7jvye.png untitled_zpszgaqkumr.png back for more punishment tomorrow night

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'm going to have a few hours tomorrow evening on the upper Lea to try for a Barbel or two to end off my season.

Then I will concentrating on the Tench and Crucians, and the Carp on my local estate lake.

Keith (BoldBear)

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Rusty's giant chub has done the trick! I'll be out with Rich this evening for a last go for a big fat chub, I really don't care which of us catches but it would be nice to see one. Conditions are good so there is a chance. Tomorrow I think I'll stick to the roach plan, I don't fancy roving all over but a day sitting in one nice spot building up a swim and getting a load of bites sounds good :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Rusty's giant chub has done the trick! I'll be out with Rich this evening for a last go for a big fat chub, I really don't care which of us catches but it would be nice to see one. Conditions are good so there is a chance. Tomorrow I think I'll stick to the roach plan, I don't fancy roving all over but a day sitting in one nice spot building up a swim and getting a load of bites sounds good :)

I'm pleased about that Andrew, most of us have experienced a lack of enthusiasm at some point and it's not very nice, hopefully you'll get an even bigger chub, good luck. Good idea to pitch up somewhere tomorrow as well, I've had enough of trying different venues/swims this week so I'm taking out Mr Barder's finest and will sit behind it for perch tonight and feeder fish maggots with it for whatever comes along tomorrow.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

My last trip to the Lea Navigation this afternoon was rather disappointing, I dropped a decent Perch at the Net and converted a take on the float paternoster rod, the result a rather tired and aged looking 2lbs 7ozs Perch !!

Still better than blanking on my last afternoon of the 2014/15 season.

Bob

post-1161-0-30078200-1426279295_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well I had a very interesting last day. I was hoping for roach and had scaled everything down accordingly, quivertipping little bits of flake and using a tiny feeder of liquidised bread, at a nice stretch of the Thames. Long story short I couldn't find the roach anywhere, but did pick up several smallish chub plus two rather more serious fish - one a really good looking chub of 5.08 which took a bit of subduing on the light gear, and the other a completely mental sea trout of 3lb (a new PB by default!) which spent most of the long battle in mid air! I didn't expect that...!

So no roach but plenty of bites and a lot of drama :)

(I think it was a sea trout - I'll put the pics up when I get to a pc and you can see what you think.)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music