Cashing in or confessing?

Bob Bradford

This lifted from the new Angling Times site.....should make for some interesting reading.

NIGE Williams – the most successful pike angler this country has ever produced – will plead guilty in court this week to the charge of attempting to smuggle live fish into Ireland.

Angling Times associate editor, Steve Partner, met him to discuss why he did it and how it left him regretting ‘the biggest mistake of my life.’

For the full interview, read next week’s AT, out on November 21.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cashing in or confessing; I would'nt like to speculate so I'll wait until the story's printed before making comment. As I have'nt had the benefit of seeing the web based AT site yet , what do you think he is then Bob having read the afore mentioned site?

The whole article has not been printed yet Brian and I have not read it either, I do not know if he has been paid for the interview by AT, I will try to find out, ...at least he has always held his hands up for his "crime" that does him some credit in my eyes.

Nige has already confessed to the world that he's guilty of taking live fish to Ireland, when he new it was illegal.

It amazes me, how often people say it was "The biggest mistake of my life" when they get caught. If you don't do it, you won't get caught and you won't have made any "mistake"!!!! Pah!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Thats a fair point Dunk, his actions do not constitute a "mistake" well,at least that is not my interpretation of a genuine mistake, he planned everything he did .

They can't (or at least, shouldn't) pay him, according to the Press Complaints Commission's code of practice, section 16

*Payment to criminals

i) Payment or offers of payment for stories, pictures or information, which seek to exploit a particular crime or to glorify or glamorise crime in general, must not be made directly or via agents to convicted or confessed criminals or to their associates – who may include family, friends and colleagues.

ii) Editors invoking the public interest to justify payment or offers would need to demonstrate that there was good reason to believe the public interest would be served. If, despite payment, no public interest emerged, then the material should not be published.

http://www.pcc.org.uk/cop/practice.html

Edited by Steve Walker

For the first time in ages, I feel like going into the supermarket and picking up Angling Times and reading it while the wife does the shopping. I usualy pick up and read some sort of PC or Camera magazine or other, then put it back on the shelf, when she's finished (there's lots of other shopping widowers who do the same at my local Tesco). Of course, it's not dishonest, it's a sort of "try before you buy" thing. But then you don't buy.

Of course, as it's the Angling Times, I'll have finished by the time she gets to the end of the potato section. Grrr!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

A couple of points here;

Firstly ,because I have made inquiry's , I can confirm that Mr Williams neither asked for or received payment from the Angling Times.

Secondly, Well done the Angling Times on producing an article that will interest a great many of us, I for one am looking forward to next weeks edition.

Budgie....stranger things have happened mate! remember O.J Simpso.....? er.... I appear to have mis -spelled his name.

nige has a regular spot in anglers mail, since he has admitted criminal activity in a fishing realted matter i wonder how his contract with AM is teneble. If he had any morals he should resign forthwith.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/