Cashing in or confessing?

Bob Bradford

Nige Williams has a big 4X4, a massive new boat and is clearly not that strapped for money. £1300 would, I imagine, not seem like a fortune to him, and possibly even a business write off!

I don't know, but I would think it was not unlikely that he organised the trip to Ireland, possibly as a guide. If so, he should bear considerably more responsibility for what happened.

I agree with Budgie, there is a big difference between moving a few roach round locally and taking an invasive species into another country. I'm amazed the fine isn't substantially higher. I expect if he'd been caught in Ireland at Dun Loerie they would have really thrown the book at him.

Tim

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of actions like this, our river Inny, an important trout nursery for some of our loughs is now over-run with Chub. These non native fish will drive out many of the natural trout due to their aggressive nature, they will also feed on the trout spawn and on the young fish doing untold damage for future fish stocks. They can now also spread to other river systems including the whole of the Shannon system(about 20% of the Irish rivers). This law was brought in to stop just this type of problem happening. We already had Roach in the Corrib system, Dace in the Cork Blackwater due to live bait transport (the Dace came from the UK, and were released in a Salmon river of all places---not even where there were Pike!) If the so-called angling experts spouting in the angling media are this stupid, inconsiderate and self-serving, god help your vendace stocks in the lake district etc.

The fact that they were on their way to Ireland and were carrying fish across a national border, possibly carrying infectious deseases with them just makes it all the more worse. We are only a few short years over an outbreak of foot and mouth desease that was brought across into Ireland (Via NI) from the UK by unscrupulous livestock smugglers, so there is no excuse of "not realising the risks".

He was breaking the law in at least three ways:

1. It is illegal to move any live fish without a license (even within England)

2. They were carrying live fish across an International border without vetinary clearance certs.

3. They were failing to declare live animals at a border crossing.

Add to that they were intending to fish illegally in Ireland, we do not allow livebaiting, and they were well aware of the fact.

I believe the vehicles should have been impounded (It would have been over here) and a jail term was warranted. This was not a stupid mistake. It was a CRIMINAL OFFENSE

I won't bother answering the question asked, my answer is obvious.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

In fact the Irish make me laugh,(at this point please let me make it quite clear that I in no way condone the moving of non idigenous fish) they constantly bleat about English pikers introducing roach and chub (not proven of course) but bust their guts to try and get carp into their country!!!

I spent several years taking huge amounts of live fish to Europe without any paper work (other than health certificates if requested).All quite openly.In fact the customs guys at Dover were on first name terms with me.At the time I wasnt breaking any UK law.Allthough the legality of actually putting them in water in some countries was a bit grey that was down to their laws not UK.

Scroll down to the second press realease

Chub are are now in Ireland. Whether introduced by UK or Irish anglers is unknown.

To admit to introducing fish in 'grey' areas does not do you any favours when you attack Irish fishery owners (small contained stillwaters) for bringing large carp in under licenses issued for the purpose.

Carp were first introduced into Ireland in the 1800's in a number of estate lakes in Cork, Westmeath, and Dublin by the English Landowners...along with muntjack, Fallow, and Sika deer. Therefore they have been here for over 100 years at this stage. None of these facts have any bearing on the criminality of the actions.

Your statement just emphasises some anglers disregard for thier own and even more so, other countries laws.

Secondly, I do not Bleat about English Pikers...I warn about ANY anglers bringing unlicensed fish from one water to another. I also constantly warn Irish anglers and boaters to disinfect boats, nets etc. before moving from one water to another to prevent the spread of Zebra mussels. I am proud of this fact. I am concerned about our waters, thier fish and the invertabrates that live in them. I also campaigned for the reduction of slurry spreading, the law to stop evergreentree planting within 15 feet of a river bank, the reduction of phosphates used on the land, The farming of Salmon in our river Estuaries, the drift netting of Salmon off our coast and many other conservation issues. I will continue to try and protect our waterways and our sport for future generations in the hope that it will survive. As it is it has been damaged over the last 20 odd years, hopefully not beyond retrieval.

Edited by greg long

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Being a 100% salty now days I am a bit out of touch so I have a couple of questions.

a] As I read these threads it appears they don’t have goldfish or koi carp in Ireland is that correct?

B] For many years now I always thought that the transferring of fish from one water way to another in the UK was against the law unless you had a license to do so is that correct?

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Being a 100% salty now days I am a bit out of touch so I have a couple of questions.

a] As I read these threads it appears they don’t have goldfish or koi carp in Ireland is that correct?

B] For many years now I always thought that the transferring of fish from one water way to another in the UK was against the law unless you had a license to do so is that correct?

We have both Koi and Goldfish in Ireland. Mainly in garden ponds etc. not in the wild...although there used to be a small shoal of Goldfish in the Grand Canal in Dublin way back in the 70's. I don't know what happened to them. We also have large Koi in some private enclosed carp fisheries.

You also need a license to transfer fish in the UK

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

We have both Koi and Goldfish in Ireland. Mainly in garden ponds etc. not in the wild...although there used to be a small shoal of Goldfish in the Grand Canal in Dublin way back in the 70's. I don't know what happened to them. We also have large Koi in some private enclosed carp fisheries.

You also need a license to transfer fish in the UK

Well that was what I was coming to, it is all very vague, I have a coldwater fish section from which I retail all the usual pond fish plus carp, roach, rudd and tench just to mention a few. Now these are destined for private ponds but once they leave the garden center your guess is as good as mine.

From what I read on this thread it would appear to me that you do not install secret compartments in your 4x4 just for one trip, would appear to be part of a well planned way of breaking the law.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I have a coldwater fish section from which I retail all the usual pond fish plus carp, roach, rudd and tench just to mention a few. Now these are destined for private ponds but once they leave the garden center your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks for posting that Ken as it has just underlined a point I have made on the subject.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!