New Barbel Record

rooney888

I think that what we need is for another river to rival the Ouse in terms of size of fish caught. Recently the Wensum, Trent and Kennet have thrown up some very big fish and when the barbel record does go to another river some of the understandable cynicism should disappear.

Dave

Very true dave,its just the way things have turned out.Im not saying that anglers havnt influenced the Ouse Barbell growth rates at all (once again I dont know a great deal about this scene) but they certainly havnt stopped the other rivers from producing them! So in that sense its just an out come of both nature and circumstance.Maybe Dens right and we should just rejoice in the fact that the fish are getting bigger and modern attitudes and practices in angling enable them to be caught several times (er preferably by different people though!)?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should a PB or a record have to be a new fish?

If an athlete gets the 100m world record can he not compete for it again.

Yes I suppose technically you can compare the athelete ever trying to push his own record higher with your man doing the same with his barbel but there is something a bit more to a record than just a simple fact! Yes I know I argue that indeed thats all a record really is but its difficult to explain that something different.

Mind you if the (for arguments sake) 1500m record was broken by a few seconds every couple of months would it be as interesting news? certainly just as legitimate achievment but would it have the same impact?

Remember the first Appolo space missions? we all sat glued to the telly! But who even heard about yet alone bothered to watch the later ones?

Maybe not the angler,angling or the fish's fault just human nature!

Your right Zedhead! I was one of the small group who (looking back it might not have been too sporting) hammered a small group of very big fish.I honestly believe it was more the motivation to capitalize on a unique situation and catch a truely impressive monster that drove us rather than any thoughts of a record.We were most likely responsible for that shoal of Zeds/area of water dissapearing.None of us have ever found Zedding like that again.Were we right or were we wrong? I dont know,at the time I was merely taking the oportunity to fish for some great fish.

Sorry for so many replies its just that Ive found so many of the points raised interesting.

I to have a ilogical dislike of Nige Williams tactics.But like I said it is ilogical! I say this as if you think about it logicaly (christ Im sounding like Mr Spock!) who has shown the most skill,the angler who goes fishing and is lucky enough to catch a big fish or the angler who sets his stall out to target a particular fish....and succeeds?

Right or wrong, good or bad, the fact is that deep down, most of us go fishing with the hope of a bigger fish each time.

Granted there are a few who are just happy to fish, I think I am one of those, just being there is enough for me....................but............."there" does hold bigger fish than I have caught, so deep down, I am always secretly hoping :)

Lyn, I think I know how you feel, daft situation really. We spend hours and hours scheming and planning and suddenly "whoops" you get the biggie................would you/have you fished that swim again?

I know when I got my first double from the Kennet, I kept getting drawn to the same swim, and finally ended up seemingly only fishing swims I had caught doubles from.

As I see it, the only problem with the traveller being targeted, is that it is a record fish, no one would be bothered if it came out a few ounces down in weight.

Two Tone has been caught about 10 times recently under its record weight...how many on here showed concern? But if it puts on a pound or two, and gets to a new record weight, then all the "holier than thou" joes will feel the need to comment.

Just be happy that you are living through a phase in history when our fish are happily getting bigger, tackle and methods are evolving, and we can still get to our fishing with ease.

Den

Thats a real shame you had to make that sort of comment. It's a fairly well drawn out argument Den, either you agree with catching these fish or you dont. I personally dont, so that sort of comment hardly is likely to enhance your argument.

Also, its got nothing to do with PC or whatever else it just aint fishing as I understand it.

Each to his own. Occasionally after a few blanks on the mullet I like to bash out a few carp in my local pond. I've no doubt I make repeat captures doing that but sometimes it's nice to KNOW there are fish in front of you that you KNOW you can catch. It isn't something I can do very often though. Fishing isn't supposed to be easy, if it was there'd be no point doing it.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I just had a look at that Adams Mill place.......£350 a year to fish one farty stretch of river?

They are welcome to it too!

This topic was discussed at my meeting on Sunday night. It's a shame that it comes to this, there must be more to life than wanting to catch the same fish time after time :(

Just to try and add some balance and facts....In Angling Times Grahame King says

"I didn't set out to catch it again"

"I was in a swim that hasn't produced for three months and I just fanced it for a fish"

"I know there will be some people who will criticise me but I love fishing for big barbel and I love fishing at Adams Mill. It's a magic place that's close to my home and somewhere I can fish with my best mates".

"I didn't set out to catch it again"

"I was in a swim that hasn't produced for three months and I just fanced it for a fish"

"I know there will be some people who will criticise me but I love fishing for big barbel and I love fishing at Adams Mill. It's a magic place that's close to my home and somewhere I can fish with my best mates".

Perfect answer, and would you believe it, there are some who fish Conningbrooke for the same reasons.

When I catch the big common again in Loggies ( a fish not seen for a couple of years) It will give me just as much pleasure as the first time.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It's not mine cup of tea that sort of fishing .

I want to catch new fresh fish not fish with a name on it , then do i catch no big fish/ or record fish but fot my

it's then not magic anymore

gr jerry

p.s here in holland we have easy talking i know

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch