New Barbel Record

rooney888

You could contrue an artificial situation with the Trout water Pike Budgie.

Monstrous fish feeding (uninterrupted by anglers for most of the time) on a high density stocking of naive Rainbows & Browns that generally only get to see one Pike!

Then there was the one time record Dora, if I remember right she was caught repeatedly by the then leading lights of the Pike world.

Quite agree with the Eels Budgie, In my opinion the last truly wild coarse fish.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could contrue an artificial situation with the Trout water Pike Budgie.

Monstrous fish feeding (uninterrupted by anglers for most of the time) on a high density stocking of naive Rainbows & Browns that generally only get to see one Pike!

Then there was the one time record Dora, if I remember right she was caught repeatedly by the then leading lights of the Pike world.

Quite agree with the Eels Budgie, In my opinion the last truly wild coarse fish.

and zander

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Fact is, it weighed 21lb 3oz and IS a new record weight for an English Barbel.

What we think about the captors motives/motivations is irellevant.

Some on here would like to put all repeat record fish into some "safe" haven where no one can fish for them, but, ask yourself what is one of the reasons fishing is so fascinating?

Are we not always hoping to catch the biggest fish in our bit of river/lake?

Never yet met a man who wasn't excited about a PB, even those who profess not to fish for big fish will take a pic and weigh a PB

Don't knock it, one day your local spot may throw up a record fish, and I bet you wont come on AN and declare that you won't fish that spot again :)

Well done that man say I,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

and zander

Zander are an introduced fish Mark, which gets a helping hand from enthusiasts. So in a sense, they too exist in an artificial way like a lot of our fish do. But the Eel has been here since the year dot & as far as I'm aware doesn't get any helping hands stock wise, & wherever he's found he's got there under his own steam & lives by his own rules not ours.

I truly hope the Eel survives the ravages of man, he's under a lot of pressure!

Peter.

Got to agree Den a lot of it does come over as sour grapes.

If I had the chance to fish for the Traveller I certainly would! and if I caught it I would be over the moon whether it was a record or not.But would I want to keep fishing for it after catching it once? I dont think so but if its what floats the guys boat then thats down to him.

As for the Pike,Eel (and yes Zander to Mark!) I meant that we wont see repeated recaptures of the same fish getting bigger each time and we certainly wont ever see "stocked" and "fed" fish ! TR wise I dont accept its artificial in the same sense.Mainly because the pike are there naturally.Yes the stocking of trout does artificially raise the biomass but it just doesnt ring the same for me.Strangely enough though the only way I know to create a big pike water is to actually create a trout water first! One day I will tell you all a story about a trout reservoir and record pike that might put this record lark in to perspective.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Fact is, it weighed 21lb 3oz and IS a new record weight for an English Barbel.

What we think about the captors motives/motivations is irellevant.

Some on here would like to put all repeat record fish into some "safe" haven where no one can fish for them, but, ask yourself what is one of the reasons fishing is so fascinating?

Are we not always hoping to catch the biggest fish in our bit of river/lake?

Never yet met a man who wasn't excited about a PB, even those who profess not to fish for big fish will take a pic and weigh a PB

Don't knock it, one day your local spot may throw up a record fish, and I bet you wont come on AN and declare that you won't fish that spot again :)

Well done that man say I,

Den

I love a pb as much as the next man, but if that pb was broken by the same fish as before, it would seriously take the gloss off the capture. I wouldn't mind betting there's lots of anglers out there who if they caught the same fish in a given area a number of times would not fish that spot again..me included.

Agree, the capture of a record fish merits nothing more than a pounds & ounces weight on the largest fish of a particular species & should be recorded as such, history purposes & no more, morals don't come into it for the particular point. However, life isn't like that & a moral aspect always creeps in somewhere along the line. If he is fishing for other Barbel & the record just keeps turning up, well perhaps he's just unlucky, but if thats not the case & he's targetting that fish specifically then that becomes a little unsavoury, & to be truthful people who do target specific fish of whatever species to boost whatever targets they've set themselves have missed the point of angling somewhat.

Peter.

Got to agree Den a lot of it does come over as sour grapes.

If I had the chance to fish for the Traveller I certainly would! and if I caught it I would be over the moon whether it was a record or not.But would I want to keep fishing for it after catching it once? I dont think so but if its what floats the guys boat then thats down to him.

As for the Pike,Eel (and yes Zander to Mark!) I meant that we wont see repeated recaptures of the same fish getting bigger each time and we certainly wont ever see "stocked" and "fed" fish ! TR wise I dont accept its artificial in the same sense.Mainly because the pike are there naturally.Yes the stocking of trout does artificially raise the biomass but it just doesnt ring the same for me.Strangely enough though the only way I know to create a big pike water is to actually create a trout water first! One day I will tell you all a story about a trout reservoir and record pike that might put this record lark in to perspective.

Don't get me wrong Budgie, I certainly wouldn't put the Pike or Zander in the same league as the barbel or Carp situations, but we already have seen stocked Pike fisheries with the Pike being artificially fed. Didn't Mick toomer (if I've got the name right!) create such a fishery & I've actually fished one up here in N/Yorkshire where the stock was boosted with big fish netted from castle Howard. There was also a predator pond created by Bishop Auckland A/C that was stocked with a large amount of Pike, I think it failed though due to the difficulty in maintaining the fishing.

Obviously this a very minor level compared to other species but there nevertheless.

Peter.

I totallyagree with what you say Peter,a new PB for me is very much a new fish.Mind you that said I caught Two Tone back in the early 90's (er before she was called Two Tone!) at a mere 28lbs,if it wasnt for all the publicity that now surrounds the fish I doubt wether I would be that dissapointed to catch her again at one of her more recent weights!

I think its just a shame that many automaticly award (is that the right word Im stuggling a bit tonight) the wrong motives/motivation to such captures?

I think it failed though due to the difficulty in maintaining the fishing.

In my experience they all do Peter hence forth why I included Pike.Lots have tried all have failed.Like I said the only way is to create a really good quality trout water and leave the pike alone!

Even though a few of the origonal Deggy 40's were recaptures and the Bough Beech ones were as well they NEVER come out at a higher weight than when first caught and all in a very short space of time (weeks).Most if the truth is known dont even survive.Just the nature of the beast.Compare this to Carp or Cats and now it seems (I dont have much experience with big barbel) Barbel as well.Very hardy fish that live long lives and can hack being caught,moved around and "force" fed.

Den I agree with the fact it takes the credit away from the fish and it's weight but by all accounts Grahame King is now afraid to leave that stretch of the river in case someone else should catch it :( As Trefor said maybe it should go in London zoo like Clarissa, so it can be left in peace! the only problem I would have with that is it would be put in a still water :rolleyes::lol:

As for sour grapes, not me, I still wish I had never caught a double as it has taken a 'spark' out of my barbel fishing :(

As they say, it takes all sorts, personally I can't see the point in constantly catching the same fish. These Kickles Farm/ Adams Mill fish will always be a cause for debate because of trhe way they are targeted.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!