New Barbel Record

rooney888

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the guy so I'm loathe to draw kneejerk conclusions, but my first reactions were 'so what' and 'oh dear' - not the sort of reactions an angler should have in response to news of a record fish! It's no secret that fishing turns into an unhealthy obsession for some of us - don't worry though, when I fluke a 25lber from the Thames on my new pin it'll shake things up a bit :P

The 'top end' of both carp and barbel fishing in this country is getting very stale. However, I bet a few people reading this are having a little chuckle to themselves, having sussed out some awesome fishing away from the circus, and quietly getting on with their own thing...

PS barbel (in fact any fish) with names - sheesh...! How personal do you need it to be?

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Fact is, it weighed 21lb 3oz and IS a new record weight for an English Barbel.

What we think about the captors motives/motivations is irellevant.

Some on here would like to put all repeat record fish into some "safe" haven where no one can fish for them, but, ask yourself what is one of the reasons fishing is so fascinating?

Are we not always hoping to catch the biggest fish in our bit of river/lake?

Never yet met a man who wasn't excited about a PB, even those who profess not to fish for big fish will take a pic and weigh a PB

Don't knock it, one day your local spot may throw up a record fish, and I bet you wont come on AN and declare that you won't fish that spot again :)

Well done that man say I,

Den

No can't agree, its more hype for the Adams Mill bandwagon, there is no credibility in catching a well known fish that depending on the time of year or just how much boilies/ pellets the fish has just eaten. Its a farce and its got nothing at all to do with the spirit of fishing.

Not even sour grapes, just a nasty taste in the mouth.

Dick Walker record carp Clarissa was retired to London Zoo, to live the rest of her life away from this type of exposure perhaps the Traveller should be afforded the same treatment.

I think that what we need is for another river to rival the Ouse in terms of size of fish caught. Recently the Wensum, Trent and Kennet have thrown up some very big fish and when the barbel record does go to another river some of the understandable cynicism should disappear.

Dave

Why should a PB or a record have to be a new fish?

If an athlete gets the 100m world record can he not compete for it again.

I agree with those that say it's sour grapes. Yes there are ways of doing things and I am sure the angler would have been more proud if he caught a different Barbel to the Traveller.

Having said that, as I did on the chub thread, at the end of the day a man has caught a fish on rod, line, hook and bait, and it weighs more than any other fish (recorded) of that species caught.

Edited by BoozleBear

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Right or wrong, good or bad, the fact is that deep down, most of us go fishing with the hope of a bigger fish each time.

Granted there are a few who are just happy to fish, I think I am one of those, just being there is enough for me....................but............."there" does hold bigger fish than I have caught, so deep down, I am always secretly hoping :)

Lyn, I think I know how you feel, daft situation really. We spend hours and hours scheming and planning and suddenly "whoops" you get the biggie................would you/have you fished that swim again?

I know when I got my first double from the Kennet, I kept getting drawn to the same swim, and finally ended up seemingly only fishing swims I had caught doubles from.

As I see it, the only problem with the traveller being targeted, is that it is a record fish, no one would be bothered if it came out a few ounces down in weight.

Two Tone has been caught about 10 times recently under its record weight...how many on here showed concern? But if it puts on a pound or two, and gets to a new record weight, then all the "holier than thou" joes will feel the need to comment.

Just be happy that you are living through a phase in history when our fish are happily getting bigger, tackle and methods are evolving, and we can still get to our fishing with ease.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have a desire to catch bigger and bigger fish, but am reasonably content not to (which is handy, as I rarely succeed).

If I caught the record barbel, I would not want to catch it again.

Repeat captures will make me leave a water and I get little satisfaction in catching large "known" fish.

There are few things worse than landing a decent fish and then having the chap in the next swim come along, tell you that its "Dolly" and he had her 2 pounds heavier last week.

Its a bit like finding out your new girlfriend has, "been round the block" a few times. :(

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

it makes you wonder where fishing will end up? Its nothing shy of a joke, claiming the record repeatedly with the same fish....isnt there more to angling these days?

I agree with the eels and zander point to some extent, however mark, im sure your aware that dave lavenders record was more than likely a recapture of a 17 or 18lb fish caught earlier and targeted as apposed to a genuinely unknown fish that had never seen a bait before.

There arent many suprises left in fishing - many anglers out there target known fish of many species, take the drains 40 pike that was hunted down by nige williams.

In my opinion, these captures simply hold no merit to the angler.

Dick Walker record carp Clarissa was retired to London Zoo, to live the rest of her life away from this type of exposure perhaps the Traveller should be afforded the same treatment.

But that could equally have been construed as very selfish of him amongst several other not very nice motives! By stickinh it in the Zoo he was really doing no better than his predecessors who would have put it in a glass case without water! No one would ever have the chance to catch Clarrisa again be she 10lb heavier or 10lb lighter.

Did any one actually see her in the Zoo? I bet she would have been a lot happier swimming around Redmire and probably a lot healthier to despite the attentions of anglers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!