Travel and telescopic rods

Sheepy

Legally, Tim, the shop was responsible.

I know. Good innit, I've only been going there for about 15 years and always try (though usually fail) to spend my money with them before I look online and consider them friends. I went fishing with the owner the day his mum died because he needed to get away from everyone else and just wanted to chat.

Sucks all round.

Tim

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can stretch to the Shimano Beastmaster in favour of the Exage, I doubt that you'll be disapointed. I have a mate in Denmark who raves about his.

If you have friends in the US who can post stuff to you, check out the Offshore Anger travel rods from Bass Pro.

Another one that looks interesting (although I haven't actually seen one) is the "4 Shurespin MK11" rod that crops up in the new Veals catalogue. It's made in colaboration with Harrison Advanced Rods and so has quite a pedigree for a rod that retails at £65.99.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Greys options (do a search on AN) and if you're considering one of the Snowbee rods, make sure you actually get to hold it in your hand before parting with your cash. There's not much actually wrong with Snowbee spinning rods but they do have a rather different idea about appropriate casting weights for their rods than most other manufacturers.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have a Shakespeare Zenith 9ft telescopic that is pretty good and only £30! It has a nice action for a telescopic. I usually take that and a Blackwater telescopic fly rod when I'm pratting about after schoolies etc. I'm sure the multi section rods "fish" better (more rings) but the telescopics just can't be beaten for convenience, use one and stick the other down my chest waders into a pocket.

Shimano XTC I have several of them all are excellent

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I was furious because I really didnt want to go to all the hassle of finding something to put the rod in to send it to scotland at my expense for them to look at it and confirm that it was broken! Bloody typical british customer service. Fed up with the shop for not taking care of it and extremely cross with Daiwa Uk for their bad attitude on the phone and poor service. As an upshot, they've won and I feel a bit cheated. I'm not going to the hassle of sending a £30 rod to Scotland, but I will certainly look at any other rod before I buy another Daiwa!

Can't really see where you're coming from here, Daiwa aren't able to examine the rod unless you send it to them! If you had done that they may well have sent you a replacement rod back. In reality, Daiwa aren't at fault. The shop should have taken the responsability.You should have (maybe still should) make it plain that its their job, not yours. I have dealt with daiwa before and they were very good.

In fact, ideally you should name the shop in question rather than dish the dirt on Daiwa. Give them the chance to sort it for you.OK you have to pay postage, but if ther shop won't play ball then you'll have to do that, can only be about £6.

If you're going places remember that the Shimano multi piece rods do take up a fair bit of room. A tele takes up a lot less room.

they are easier to carry round "set up " ready to go as well..!

Edited by kreid

...... they've won and I feel a bit cheated.

Oh yeah, and I'll tell anyone who'll listen too!

Well, they might have won the battle, but it looks like they have lost the war :)

Can confirm Shimano Exage 270 is an excellent rod - mine has caught peacock bass in Brazil, trevally and barracuda in Belize, queenfish off Cape York and many others,

Don't leave home without it!

If you want something a little beefier, for casting heavy lures, the TFG "Journeyman" is good also.

Modern multipiece travel rods have made most teles obsolete. My only use for a tele rod would be a very small one for ultralight spinning or freelining on tiny streams - and thats only because it can be telescoped for easier moving from one overgrown pool to another.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I was furious because I really didnt want to go to all the hassle of finding something to put the rod in to send it to scotland at my expense for them to look at it and confirm that it was broken! Bloody typical british customer service. Fed up with the shop for not taking care of it and extremely cross with Daiwa Uk for their bad attitude on the phone and poor service. As an upshot, they've won and I feel a bit cheated. I'm not going to the hassle of sending a £30 rod to Scotland, but I will certainly look at any other rod before I buy another Daiwa!

Can't really see where you're coming from here, Daiwa aren't able to examine the rod unless you send it to them! If you had done that they may well have sent you a replacement rod back. In reality, Daiwa aren't at fault. The shop should have taken the responsability.You should have (maybe still should) make it plain that its their job, not yours. I have dealt with daiwa before and they were very good.

In fact, ideally you should name the shop in question rather than dish the dirt on Daiwa. Give them the chance to sort it for you.OK you have to pay postage, but if ther shop won't play ball then you'll have to do that, can only be about £6.

If you're going places remember that the Shimano multi piece rods do take up a fair bit of room. A tele takes up a lot less room.

they are easier to carry round "set up " ready to go as well..!

I must admit that I too have had the misfortune of being on the recieving end of what Diawa laughingly describe as their customer service.

The kindest word I can use to describe it is Appaling quite frankly their attitude stinks and I long ago vowed never to buy any more of their stuff a vow which I have stuck to without any regret!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I bought a Daiwa Vertice 9ft tele spin to take away with me in september. Felt pretty good in the shop and appeared well made. After fishing for about an hour it snapped mid cast above a joint. Seeing as I was at the beginning of my holiday I stripped off some rod rings, undid the sections and bodged a repair, then taped the rings back on. It did OK for the rest of the trip. I took it back to my regular fishing shop and got told to deal direct with Daiwa as they had some "gold service plan" or something. Rang Daiwa, they'd never heard of the plan and insisted I post the rod to them before they would do anything about it. I suggested that the tackle shop had seen the rod and could easily confirm the damage, but no they wanted it back with them.

Oh yeah, and I'll tell anyone who'll listen too!

I'm sure that under trading standards the shop who sold you the rod are responsible and they should replace the rod for you and then chase it up with Daiwa themselves. If something isn't fit for the purpose it was made then it's been sold under false pretences. Isn't everything in this country guaranteed for twelve months after purchase when bought from a retailers?

I would get in touch with trading standards for legal advice.