A Nice Catch of Mullet

Guest challenge
If you consider the truth as i see it as bad publicity thats your opinion, i can handle that, as far as i am concerned i could not care a toss!! (and that includes personal insults like towards one's visions capabilities)

Rsa to me is a hobby which i finance from my legit tax paying job that is not connected in anyway to do with it, unlike yours which rely's on it, your opinions will always be judged by me respective of that, you take anglers out on your big boat to catch cod many miles off shore admittedley on rod and line! but imo the way you go about it is like a commercial fisherman (not surprising as you were once one) no sooner they are caught (and as many as you can) you slice them up and stick them in a ice box, if you can carry on finding enough fishermen to book you (note i said fishermen) then fair enough personally i would not give you tuppence for the priviledge, you see challenge i am one of the new breed of sea anglers ie, a "sport angler" and mullet are one of the two main species i and many others value very much indeed, now if that picture was of a catch of cod then what do you think my opninion (if i had one at all) would have been, do you think it would have been the same sort of comments? you decide, cheers...................

Stavey.

I pay as much to do my fishing as the next man. I very rarely fish when I am with paying customers. Of the thousands of hours I spent at sea with anglers last year I think I fished for about two or three hours in total. (Still managed a couple of 20lb cod mind) I still have my rods and gear to pay for, my bait plus transport.

I will not even start to tell you how much it cost for the up keep and running of a small boat.

I live a stone throw away from the sea and make a living working in a business that takes people angling but I would say that RSA cost me personally about £3 to 400 a year.

That’s not taking into account my course fishing licence and gear and all expenses that go with that. Never mind my trips to loch Tay to try and catch the odd salmon.

I (like most who live in these parts) have been sport anglers for years. I fish for sea trout and mackerel using the same fly gear as I use when fishing a stream.

The gear that I use at sea is so light that I would be a very fortunate man to land anything over 30lb and that would come with years of experience.

I don’t catch fish for the anglers that come with us; they are very skilled and dedicated anglers. The majority are seasoned sport anglers who love there hobby and love taking home there just rewards.

I do however gut and clean and fillet fish for our customers if they ask me too.

The fact that our anglers (at times) catch large amounts of fish does not mean that they are not sport anglers stavey.

Ian burnet.

You say (anglers) that people who catch and sell fish are not RSA but unlicensed commercial fishermen. Have been and asked commercial fishermen the same question. They said that they are RSA who break the law and have nothing to do with commercial fishermen. they (commercial fishermen) say that these black fish anglers are nothing to do with there industry and a problem that recreational anglers must sort out themselves rather than saying that the problem has nothing to do with them, but has everything to do with commercial fishermen.

Regards.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defra say 2 fish you demand 10 after a round of meetings and consultations you compromise on 5, the angling reps will claim a victory saying they have succeeded in warding off defra's draconian measures and got the best deal possible for the anglers of Britain.

The thing is Peter, why should we be subject to bag limits at all? Is it because the bass stocks are so threatened that anglers need to subjected to bag limits? If so, then commercial fishermen need to be restricted as to how many they catch too. After all, it's for the good of the bass stockes isn't it? Of course it isn't, it's nothing to do with the state of the bass stocks and even if it was bag limits on angler wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference compared to what the commercial fishermen catch, for example the 28 tonnes in one haul quoted on here the other day.

So why do you think anglers need to be subjected to bag limits?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Rsa to me is a hobby which i finance from my legit tax paying job that is not connected in anyway to do with it, unlike yours which rely's on it, your opinions will always be judged by me respective of that, you take anglers out on your big boat to catch cod many miles off shore admittedley on rod and line! but imo the way you go about it is like a commercial fisherman (not surprising as you were once one) no sooner they are caught (and as many as you can) you slice them up and stick them in a ice box, if you can carry on finding enough fishermen to book you (note i said fishermen) then fair enough personally i would not give you tuppence for the priviledge, you see challenge i am one of the new breed of sea anglers ie, a "sport angler" and mullet are one of the two main species i and many others value very much indeed, now if that picture was of a catch of cod then what do you think my opninion (if i had one at all) would have been, do you think it would have been the same sort of comments? you decide, cheers...................

Hi Stavey,

You make your living ashore, which is your choice. I make mine from the sea, which is my choice. As you know, I run a successful charter business. These days, successful charter businesses in this country are few and far between. I put my success down to giving my customers what they want. And what they want is a good chance to catch lots of fish. In my business, the customer is always right. And the majority of anglers that come to Whitby from all over the country want what I supply. How do I know this? Because the majority of anglers that come to Whitby go off with me. I realise you cannot please all of the people all the time. But I gain more customers than I lose. I am working at maximum capacity and no longer need to advertise.

You may say that what I do is not true angling. You may be right. But it is what most of the anglers that come to Whitby want to do, and these anglers are not local - they are from all over the UK.

We are all entitled to our own beliefs. However, there are numerous boat anglers in this country, all with their own opinions of what is right for them. The anglers who fish on board my boat obviously do not share your beliefs. That is their prerogative.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

The amount of tags needed for the bass fishery would make it unworkable.

Evenin Wurzel, Can't see why but i would concede that the pair trawlers in guernsey the other day would have a job on their hands tagging 28 tons, but they would look on it as every one a winner. i would. With that lot they could employ people to stick em on for them.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The thing is Peter, why should we be subject to bag limits at all? Is it because the bass stocks are so threatened that anglers need to subjected to bag limits? If so, then commercial fishermen need to be restricted as to how many they catch too. After all, it's for the good of the bass stockes isn't it? Of course it isn't, it's nothing to do with the state of the bass stocks and even if it was bag limits on angler wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference compared to what the commercial fishermen catch, for example the 28 tonnes in one haul quoted on here the other day.

So why do you think anglers need to be subjected to bag limits?

Hello Steve

I personally don't, same as I don't think we need stupid restrictive quotas, for any fish, as you are finding out it has little to do with conservation. Like the other day me fishing along side a Belgium beam trawler with 20 tons on board while I'm only allowed 50 Kg.

Do you think unlicensed hobby gill netters should be subject to bag limits or like you allowed to catch what they like?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Do you think unlicensed hobby gill netters should be subject to bag limits or like you allowed to catch what they like?

What matters is the number of fish being killed to service the market.

Overall it matters not one jot whether the seller servicing the market is licensed or not.

Now if bag limits were part of a package aimed at reducing overall mortality, and with a cap on the the number of fish being supplied to the market (perhaps using tags), we would be singing from a different hymn sheet.

The price would go up, so licensed fishermen would make more from killing fewer fish and not having to work quite so hard for that reduced catch, and anglers and hobby fishermen would be catching more fish for their own table or simply for sport, more regularly.

Prospective illegal sellers of netted or rod caught fish would have no market to sell into.

Things can be better than they are today.

But to make them better, there has to be some changes.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Peter

There are rules that are supposed to regulate how many fish a hobby netter can take, but they are rarely enforced. Apparently if a hobby netter using a powered craft has more fish than a fisheries officer considers necessary for personal consumption, the netter can be nicked. The same goes for someone using rod and line I would imagine. Because they are unable to enforce their own rules, they are now trying to put blanket restrictions on everyone, which is not on. It's a bit like them taking all your quota away just in case you exceed it.

P.S. Any herring about?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Stavey.

I don’t catch fish for the anglers that come with us; they are very skilled and dedicated anglers. The majority are seasoned sport anglers who love there hobby and love taking home there just rewards.

I do however gut and clean and fillet fish for our customers if they ask me too.

The fact that our anglers (at times) catch large amounts of fish does not mean that they are not sport anglers stavey.

Ian burnet.

You say (anglers) that people who catch and sell fish are not RSA but unlicensed commercial fishermen. Have been and asked commercial fishermen the same question. They said that they are RSA who break the law and have nothing to do with commercial fishermen. they (commercial fishermen) say that these black fish anglers are nothing to do with there industry and a problem that recreational anglers must sort out themselves rather than saying that the problem has nothing to do with them, but has everything to do with commercial fishermen.

Regards.

Hi Challenge,

First para, Quite right to, equally so i go out and target bass perhaps five times a year over the wrecks. I also like to take me spoils home, why try to restrict that i ask. I have asked you this before, what if derfa or commercial decide to restrict the take of cod to the rsa, it would make the far reaching trips pointless? Sorry, i'm just nasty.

Second para, It would not matter who blames who if they were gill tagged. No tag no sell, simple. If we stay as we are, defra will restrict the rsa, it will be pointless as it would be un-policable at an enormous cost to the rate payer, some proberly do not even eat fish. The problem of blaming who black sold would remain. Don't forget illegal back door selling as well. Gill tagging, easy to police. Easy to check from capture to being eaten don't you think?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

[

Ian burnet.

Regards.

I guess we are just arguing about a name. Both RSA and commercial wants to put a stop to the unlicensed fishermen selling fish.

What ever camp they are from, if they are breaking the law they should be prosecuted.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk