Kayak color

bobboy

Hi every one, I Am newbie. :clap2:

I am looking to getting a prowler 13 and thought about colour.

My reasons are:-

Green = I just don’t like it.

Yellow = on a sunny day may suffer with a bit of glare.

Red = First colour to disappear in water and make me invisible.

I will be doing most of my fishing in and around Dale, Pemb’s as we have a holiday home there so I know a few good rock marks. If anyone knows any good marks around that area I would be grateful.

Thankyou.

Hi Bobboy,

Yellow is no problem with glare.

Are you based in Dale itself?

St Brides is a good launch spot. There are plenty of rough ground marks that are inaccesible from the shore.

I haven't fished out of Dale but plan to try out around Watwick and St Anne's head in the summer.

I have also fished out of Nolton Haven, Broad Haven etc which are pretty sheltered from tides.

Keep an eye out on the board for local meets. Feel free to come along.

Rich.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished Watwick a lot in the past from the shore, I would imagine it would be a cracking place to fish on the kayak :)

Good place for Wrasse, Pollock, Mackerel, Bull Huss etc

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

green is unlucky on the water, i was really surprised when i saw that there was a green kayak available. i was most surprised.

Dont get yellow, everyone has a yellow one. Nice mango flame or sunrise flame, nice and visible from the air too

And a better target for Seagulls to aim at :clap2:

zzippy2.gif

Red = First colour to disappear in water and make me invisible.

Red is only the 'first colour to disappear' UNDER water so unless you expect your yak to sink to below about 2-3 meters, it disappearing won't be an issue. Unless you plan to wear red and sink with it, your becoming invisible isn't an issue either.

International Orange - probably the easiest to see under a wide variety of conditions.

Bright Yellow - the last one to vanish in low light conditions (at dusk then).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Depends a bit on the material -

yellow prowler much less visible at night - even with a light on it, than the white/orange Dorado.

Yellow Prowler was a lot more visible than Richie's red flame job - which is why he has a light that needs a small power station to light it up!!

The white GRP was very visible just by the ambient light where the yellow prowler, within feet of it was not visible at all. It was very interesting that night.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon.

You would think Kazkazi would make The Dorado/ Pelican, etc, in more S.A.R. friendly colours.

Considering they are performance kayaks used to handling rough choppy waters.

With a full sea of white horses, she would be difficult to spot.

May be worth a word to them, might appreciate your input on that one.

Just a thought.

Bill.

Hi Bobboy,

Yellow is no problem with glare.

Are you based in Dale itself?

St Brides is a good launch spot. There are plenty of rough ground marks that are inaccesible from the shore.

I haven't fished out of Dale but plan to try out around Watwick and St Anne's head in the summer.

I have also fished out of Nolton Haven, Broad Haven etc which are pretty sheltered from tides.

Keep an eye out on the board for local meets. Feel free to come along.

Rich.

I live in Cardiff. Dale is were we have the holiday home. We have had since the navy sold them off 50 odd years ago. Have done a lot rock hopping in the area. Can’t afford a boat so this is the next best thing.

Fished a lot at St Brides but the divers get on my nerves.

Bob

Prowler 15 elite (Flame)

C-Tug

If you want visibility deffo go for orange. We have to wear orange coveralls in work (marine based) and everything from life rings to liferafts are orange.

Yellow is good if you want to attract fly's and bumble bee's, thats why we issue a yellow jersey for the first to catch a dogfish on charter trips :D

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Bill,

we will make them in whatever colour you want - but you will have to wait for delivery. Next is due end May early June.

What colour would you like yours then :thumbs: I can get it into that container :clap2:

The white Orange combination is the best compromise between visibility and looking smart - it is actually very visible - white water is nto really that white - more light grey - and so a white hull shows up pretty well, especially with the patch of orange on it. Certainly better than yellow - which is the only colour in GRP to add weight to the build. On a Dorado a yellow deck adds about 2kgs to the total weight (or about 7%). If you want an all orange deck - no problem. Shall I order an all orange deck one for you?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo