Mobile phones and driving

ayjay

UK-Fishing-Tackle oaps

Now that is treading on dangerous ground, I would suggest you do a statistics check and find out who insurers like on their books and why. :rolleyes::o

You will find that over 75s medical test are compulsory.

Also anyone who thinks they can control a car whilst one hand is plugged into their ear needs a big rethink, I could give you countless stories of idiots using phones in the most rediculous places and unfortunately two in our local area resulted in their deaths.

This is the best law they have brought in for years, I am fed up with dodging idiots at traffic lights and roundabouts who are trying to change gear, hold a phone to their ear and steer a car or lorry, a line of traffic had to backup at a set of lights including me because some idiot lorry driver ( Tesco lorry ) oversteered turning left simply because he was trying all of the stated task at the same time. :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest long-trotter
If it was the one I saw, they also gave a good demonstration of the passenger not having his seatbelt on during a pursuit! Pursuing a car thief must put them at far higher risk of being in a collision than Doris tootling down to the shops in her Micra, so not to belt up seems mad. I appreciate that he was planning to make a quick exit from the car if the scrote they were chasing stopped and did a runner, but how long does it take to unclip a seatbelt? If it's that big a deal, police cars should have special quick release belts.

It can take an age to retract if it locks under braking, and you end up tangled in it as you exit.

I agree with not using your mobile whilst driving, however Ian is right, there are far more dangerous but legal things you can do when driving.

One thing which bugs me is when I see the lunatics fiddling with the sat nav whilst in motion, what is that all about? and while I'm on the subject isn't it illegal to be able to see a screen with moving images from the driving seat, yet apparently not illegal to mount one in zone 1 on your windscreen. The law is crazy.

How long is it going to be before someone is killed whilst playing with their tom-tom.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I agree with not using your mobile whilst driving, however Ian is right, there are far more dangerous but legal things you can do when driving.

One thing which bugs me is when I see the lunatics fiddling with the sat nav whilst in motion, what is that all about? and while I'm on the subject isn't it illegal to be able to see a screen with moving images from the driving seat, yet apparently not illegal to mount one in zone 1 on your windscreen. The law is crazy.

How long is it going to be before someone is killed whilst playing with their tom-tom.

Let's hope it is their tom-tom they are playing with :rolleyes::lol:

Your quite right about the sat screen, if a telly is against the law because it is a distraction then surely any screen showing a moving image should be.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

It can take an age to retract if it locks under braking, and you end up tangled in it as you exit.

Can't you have one fitted that doesn't? It just seems incredibly dangerous.

Just because something isn't specifically outlawed doesn't make it legal. Everything done in a car that's unsafe can be deemed dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention. That includes fiddling with the sat nav, the radio, smoking a fag, drinking etc.... - if done in such a way as to make it unsafe. Phones were targetted as they're such a big problem and it's easier for the police to spot check and fine you than take it through the courts.

As for sat navs, they are not moving and you don't watch them. You look at them in the same way you do checking your mirrors, although obviously plenty of people don't seem to understand what mirrors are for.

Rob.

The points is the big thing here, but I honestly think it should have been 6 points. Then if you get caught and don't learn from it, you lose you licence.

OI OI,

Im all for seph's idea 6 points x 2 your off the road, i acually drove strait through a red light & it was only when my wife told me i was on the phone arranging a fishing trip luckerly no one was comming the other way cos we were in the country if it had been in newcastle god knows what might have happend now my pal's ring anne if i dont answer & she says were out & he will ring you back & that's it.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

what about turning over the record on your car gramaphone :o

i think we have to distinguish between interactive and non interactive "distractions"

talking on a phone is interactive therefore you have to divert part of your brain to react to the person on the other end ,on the other the other hand smoking and even drinking /eating (so long as you dont drop the silver ware) is purely instictive and asides taking your hand off the wheel for a moment (as you do anyway changing gear ,switching a switch or opening a window) you can concentrate 100% through the windscreen where you need to.

if your trying to elliminate distractions that stop you looking rthrough the windscreen with fyll concentration then ban taxis ,white vans and coppers up your backside trying to see if your on the phone!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

what about turning over the record on your car gramophone :o

I think that's probably allowed, unless you are winding it up with the other hand at the same time. ^_^