The future ?

Cranfield

Let me get this right then Barry, as I would hate to misunderstand what you are saying.

You are saying above that you believe that the whole RSA strategy idea is not coming from DEFRA (well the government, but through DEFRA). Is that your perspective?

If so please read the intro to the document.

I can assure you that the reason for the current discussion regarding an RSA strategy is not because Leon has asked for one. DEFRA are driving this, and they invite who they want to the table, if they didn't want representation there would be none!.

I am sorry Nick i did not make myself clear. What i said was with your insight into what defra are to stiff the ordinary anglers with, you are concerned that indeed the ordinary angler might or would get stiffed? That's kind of you to show concern, but again the ordinary's me included might not want representaion or they might be happy with what we are going to get stiffed with, who know's? Your second para, i did not say anything of the kind.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And did you ask them how has the fishing changed? Perhaps 30 years ago they wouldn't have been catching undersize fish to put back. Compared with then, the fishing is now dire with most species going into a decline.

You only have to look at the fishing reports round the coast. It seems the norm for a good shore day is perhaps 4-6 cod with a good one being 3-4 pounds. I used to fish Whitby in the 70's and you would get that many fish in two chucks. with a double or two in there as well.

Its knowing how the fishing should and could be, that drives anglers reps to negotiate with governments. OK that means much red tape and bureaucracy but the end result will justify the means.

As this question was directed at me, it would be rude not to respond.

I have been sea fishing for almost 40 years and I remember the, "good old days".

If you honestly think that a "golden mile" (which incidentally should include charter fishing boats) , sea fishing licences and bag limits, are going to return lots of double figure cod to our shores, large shoals of haddock in the Thames and Medway estuaries, thornbacks and tope in abundance off Ramsgate, etc., then you are living in a dream world.

Try selling that argument along the shore, or your local pier.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

So Cranfield, what is the solution?

Do nothing?

Or try and do something? If do something what should be done?

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

I have been sea fishing for almost 40 years and I remember the, "good old days".

If you honestly think that a "golden mile" (which incidentally should include charter fishing boats) , sea fishing licences and bag limits, are going to return lots of double figure cod to our shores, large shoals of haddock in the Thames and Medway estuaries, thornbacks and tope in abundance off Ramsgate, etc., then you are living in a dream world.

Hit the nail right on the head Cranfeild. Try selling this on the shoreline. Come to our fishing club at 10.30 tonight and tell them how your gonna fill the seas with fish for 20 quid a head. They'd think Big cod had hired a stand up for the end of season bash.

If I put the real answer to fish stock problems on this forum there would be uproar. You and I both know the answer Nick, I have no desire to participate in a war with the commercials so I keep my mouth shut. Cutting anglers catches will do sod all. Fair enough if there has to be a strategy then have one but lets be realistic.

Hi Cranfield

If and it is a big if, stocks were managed for the sake of the stocks and not for the sake of the comercials then yes, it would take time but bigger and more fish is a realistic target. You only have to look at the Striped bass in the states to realise what can be achieved with the right political will.

The Golden mile, Sea fishing licences and bag limits are just a small part of the strategy. Much of it is about identifying and developing RSA species like Mullet, Wrasse, and Conger which have little commercial value.

The idea of a golden mile was introduced to benefit RSA why should charter boats be left out?

Whats the other Option, do nothing?

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Of course there are the major issues regarding commercial fishing that need addressing, and living where you do I can understand you might feel a certain amount of reticence about voicing some of those ideas in a public forum. There is nothing in the strategy document to suggest that those ideas don't need to be tackled - indeed there are references in the document to the fact that the whole approach to marine fisheries management needs to be altered.

But as the RSA Strategy document is just that it is not the place for detailed discussion of those matters. Hopefully those issues will be dealt with in the Marine White Paper that launches on Thursday, and as part of the ongoing process that is The Fisheries Vision.

But there is room for improvement in RSA practices. If we wish to be treated as one of the responsible "Stakeholders" then we have to act the part. That may well entail some sacrifice on the part of RSA. But the other option as I see it is that we remain outside the process looking in, are not treated as a stakeholder, and lose any right to a say in how our seas are managed. That is a prospect that I do not relish - we have finally opened a door into the world of fisheries management in the UK - lets not try hard to get it slammed in our faces just yet.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

But there is room for improvement in RSA practices. If we wish to be treated as one of the responsible "Stakeholders" then we have to act the part. That may well entail some sacrifice on the part of RSA. But the other option as I see it is that we remain outside the process looking in, are not treated as a stakeholder, and lose any right to a say in how our seas are managed. That is a prospect that I do not relish - we have finally opened a door into the world of fisheries management in the UK - lets not try hard to get it slammed in our faces just yet.

As a boat angler for many many years i can go where i want and when, subject to the weather. At no time i have someone breathing down my neck with the rule book. I am very happy with my fishing experiences to date and they will only get better if i'm left alone. I don't interfere with anyone during my hobby or cause damage as far as i'm aware, without any rules, regulation, i also consider myself to be responsible regarding releasing fish i don't want to eat.

What improvement do i need? What sacrifice do i suffer, what would i loose if i stay out of the framework? If i stay out i still have the comfort that if i dissagree i can do something about it, called the vote, if i choose. I don't need managing to do the hobby of my choice.I don't need to chase paper while i'm doing my hobby. Good old defra are looking after the management of the sea fisheries arn't they, thats what i'm already paying them for. Or am i a dinosaur.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Cranfield

If and it is a big if, stocks were managed for the sake of the stocks and not for the sake of the comercials then yes, it would take time but bigger and more fish is a realistic target. You only have to look at the Striped bass in the states to realise what can be achieved with the right political will.

The Golden mile, Sea fishing licences and bag limits are just a small part of the strategy. Much of it is about identifying and developing RSA species like Mullet, Wrasse, and Conger which have little commercial value.

The idea of a golden mile was introduced to benefit RSA why should charter boats be left out?

Whats the other Option, do nothing?

The story of the recovering striped bass stocks in the US has nothing to do with licences, bag limits, or the golden mile.

It has everything to do with strict controls on commercial fishing.

I think the hard truth to bear, is that the "good old days" will never return, as climate change, pollution, and over fishing, has pushed most fish stocks beyond their recovery limit.

Most of us have adjusted our fishing styles and expectations as a result.

As most sea anglers fish from the shore, I don't think its too much to ask the commercial charter boats to observe the golden mile.

They have access to far more water from their boats, than the shore angler does.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "