Need A advice

Maybe a light beach casting rod?

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`d have to say that a lot of it is down to technique.

You`ll need plenty of practise to reach extreme distances, and trust me, its knackering having to keep reeling in 100+ yards of line each time you cast :wallbash:

If you don`t have access to a wide river/lake or similar, it might be worth trying an empty field in the open (in case of crack off`s) to practise in. As the saying goes, "Practise makes perfect"

I used to hit 110 yd's using 2lb t.c. middle action (not tip action, but not through action either) rods, 2.5oz leads on 8lb line on a baited rig, and doing that was no mean feat, but its possible with the right casting technique.

I've had 3x sportex rods, 12ft 6" rated casting weight ounces of 3-5oz`s for approx 10 years now and used to be able to hit 150yds+ with baited rig using a 4oz lead easily, but I tried a long chuck the other week and couldn`t hit 120 on a flat calm morning. Its probably due to the rods softening up over time, which all rods will do, or it might be me out of practise :schmoll:

Then I tried my other rod, a Berkeley B1 12ft 8" 3.5 t.c. and hit 145yds easily. :clap2:

What have you got at the moment Andrew? Don't want to worry you, but 130+ is a very long chuck with any rod. As a guide, I would say that if you have 2.5TC rods, and can't cast 2.5ounces 120+ without bait, then you won't do much good by buying different rods.

Distance is down to the caster in the final analysis.

Den

I read this thread backwards, and am glad you posted ;)

I've fished with some fairly good sea anglers, ones who cast measured distances in fields, and it's amazing how their 100 yard casts would be 200 yards if they were in a lake. I often believe that carp anglers over-estimate distance.

Andrew, are you sure you actually need to cast as far as you think?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Andrew

If it was me i would enquire about having some casting lessons before buying new rods for that kind of range (and no im not suggesting you cant cast :D) the reason i am suggestng this is, that with a casting instructor you will hopefully have other rods to practice casting with and you may find a rod that you like, feel comfortable with and can compress, as like Den said its all about technique rather than the rod and with some people a fast taper rod is too much as they cant get the best out of them and its not as if you can go to your local tackle shop and ask to try all thier extreme range rods in a field to find one that your happy with.

Sound advice.

I want casting tuition.

It's like driving - you pick up bad habits and maintain them all your life. Off the beach, I don't even cast off the ground. Having seen how effective and effortless that is, I know for sure that I'm missing out on a lot of range.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Andrew, are you sure you actually need to cast as far as you think?

Yes Elton I am sure about the lenght of the water - 150 yards

Why do you ask about that? :headhurt::whistling:

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Yes Elton I am sure about the lenght of the water - 150 yards

Why do you ask about that? :headhurt::whistling:

As I said above....150 yards to a carp angler is usually about 70-80 yards to everyone else :D

Maybe you shoudl stop being difficult and go round teh other side of the lake :D

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

As I said above....150 yards to a carp angler is usually about 70-80 yards to everyone else :D

A so called carp angler, no wonder you don't do anygood at Wingham Carp lake these days! :rolleyes::D :D

Maybe you shoudl stop being difficult and go round teh other side of the lake :D

Errr...... the other side is out of bounds - part of a fairway.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I'm a bit anxious about all these 4 oz leads being chucked 150yds on 8lb line :unsure:

I assume you use a shock leader

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm a bit anxious about all these 4 oz leads being chucked 150yds on 8lb line :unsure:

I assume you use a shock leader

No other way of doing it.

I use a 40lb shockleader when I`m chucking a long distance