keep nets ?

carphead07

Bluepig how much extra money did you have to pay for using a keepnet at Cudmore?

Why do you assume that fish fatality's are caused by keepnets?

How many fish die at the hands of incompetent anglers that have deep hooked a fish and have no idea how to properly unhook it?

I would suggest that bad fish handling practices are the reason fish die or are damaged, so the logical next step (if keepnets are banned) is to ban angling.

The fact is there are some lousy anglers out there and the use of properly used keepnets is used as a scapegoat with no scientific evidence to support it.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own keepnets and still use them when I wish to.Have done so all my angling life.In some circumstances their use is good for fish welfare and an aid to better catches and in others not.

I dont think the actual use of keepnets in matchs is the real cause of problems more the handling at the weigh in (I say this as someone who used to fish matchs a lot,still fishes the occaisional one or two and has no problem with it).

I like to see my total catch at the end of a days pleasure fishing.It adds to the enjoyment for me.

I dont feel the need to retain fish at all when specimen fishing.

People have been using keepnets for many years and we still have fish!

I have see many fish suffer through being too crowded in an incorrectly placed net on too hot a day.Or for too long ie big bags of bream accumulated over several days!

I have noticed though that livebaits put in a keep net tend to fungus up more than if put straight in a bucket or cage but dont really know if this is caused by the net or stress/extra handling.

I used to keep barbel in keepnets and never had any problems.Seen plenty release straight away (too early) that have gone belly up out of reach though.

Seen small carp catch their fin in normal knotless mesh nets but not in those modern sacking type material ones.

Basicly like anything in angling.Its personal choice but do it correctly using a bit of sense.If you dont want to do it your self then fine but dont think your better...after all we are all still catching fish arnt we?

Not so many people use keepnets now days? Yes I would say thats true....but only because most no longer fish in a way that requires their use! also many have grown up on commercial type waters where their use hasnt been allowed.No other reason!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

when i next go fishing I'm just going to remember how much each fish weighs and wright it all down and at the end of the session ill add up my total

easy really

saves me going out and buying a keep net

mike finlay the carpinator

I don't own or use one, got fed up with them stinking out the car on the way home, especially after catching bream :)

Mat

Can't be any fairer than that. Although I do you a bass bag when fishing worms on the river for trout. This keeps the catch fresh.

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

when i next go fishing I'm just going to remember how much each fish weighs and wright it all down and at the end of the session ill add up my total

easy really

saves me going out and buying a keep net

You'll soon get tired of that, once you've weighed the 50th 2oz roach. ;)

if keep nets do not harm the fish than why do some lakes ban them ???

Because they can. Simple as that. You see here that there are differences of opinion on whether they do any harm or not. If the owner of the fishery thinks they are (or just might be) harmful, he is within his rights to ban them. Over the years, there have been plenty of bans of this or the other on very flimsy evidence, from hemp to bloodworm.

FWIW I have never owned, nor do I ever intend to own a keep net.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Bluepig how much extra money did you have to pay for using a keepnet at Cudmore?

Why do you assume that fish fatality's are caused by keepnets?

I think it was £1 every net i used at cudmore, so it cost me £2.

I think some fish fatalitys are caused by keepnets when some stupid anglers keep the fish in the nets over 6 hours.

Or they may come when a dieseas is tranfered from another fishery through your keepnet.

Some fisheries use a dip and i know for a fact from a scientist at my local college that the dip does not kill serious fish dieces unless the water is kept at above 30oC. When i visit fisheries the dip is usually cold and below 10oC.

84854438.png