Stupid MULLET

basshead07

hi all ,

ive never been so frustrated but as my moto goes i never give up so heres my story i got up port solent harbour to fish for mullet come high tide there were about 10 shoals and the weer leaping 1-2 foot in the air i thought to my slef i had to catch atleast 1! i couldent get any bites on bread or maggots (they weer about 10 yards from the shore by the way) so like a madman in pursuit of my first mullet i got in the water waist deep how did i no they were mullet? THEY WERE SWIMMING SO CLOSE TO ME I COULD OF PICKED THEM UP! anyway i was using a float with bread as bait and very shallow with a size 10 tied to 8lb mono not to complicated I DIDNT GET 1 BITE!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Please show me the error of my ways and help me catch 1 before i hurt myslef.

tight lines

jay

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

You were too visible to the fish, they aren't as stupid as you think. If they suspect something is not right,like a lumping great angler in the water, they won't take the bait. Did any of them wink at you. :clap2:

Edited by maidstonemike

Mikes right jay they are not stupid, what sort of mullet were they ie, thinlipped? thicklipped? or maybe goldies? this is important as they all as a whole respond to different baits and methods at different locations and times etc, suss out the type that you are trying to catch and your halfway there matey, if you cant tell which species they are then go with the float approach using bread flake and plenty of free offerings a cast, if still no go give harbour rag a go on the hook, if after that and no takes welcome to mullet angling and you will have to suffer the same frustrations at times us all mullet anglers go through, good luck and keep at it, you'l suss it in the end...........

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Welcome to Mullet fishing :rolleyes:

They are the hardest but most rewarding fish to catch, if you land one that is. 8lb mainline is fine but use a point of 5 - 6 lb. Make sure you have an excellent clutch, set it just tight enough to set the hook, then back it off a tad and welcome to bedlam. Control the frantic runs with fine clutch control or a finger on the edge of the spool. Mullet don't have soft mouths, they just run from zero to hero in milli-seconds causing the hook to pull if you'r unprepared. The fight will be protracted and you will feel you are winning long before the Mullet decides it's time to submit to the landing net.

If you want to catch 'loads' of fish don't bother with Mullet, but if you prefer a challenge then you have just found it.

Want some more info, look at the . . National Mullet Club web site or read Leon's excellent articles here on Angler Net.

One final thing . . please catch and release.

Andrew Boyd

thanx allot for the help and dont worry catch and realease is my middle name lol im always up for a challenge so i will be prepared to blank

thnx all

jay

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Dont worry. Here is my never fail technique for mullet.

Things needed:

A spinning rod, 8-9ft.

Fixed spood reel + line

hooks in sizes 8-12 barbless

Squid rings

A few split shot

A decent torch(not needed if there is harbour lights

The cover of darkness

Bread for loose feeding

Use a short-ish spinning rod and a fixed spool reel filled with about 6-8lb line. Put a size 8 hook on to start and a place a BB shot just above the hook. Cut a bit of squid up, walk around the harbour until fish are found. Throw in a bit of bread, enough to get them feeding, try to get them in a close as possible. If they are near enough you can drop your line in with out casting. Watch the fish as they nip at the bait. Wait untill one has the bait firmly in its mouth and is swimming off, STRIKE! hopefully the fish is on and play the fish til' its ready to come out, Unhook and place away from the shoal ( if its is still there ) so's not to frighten them.

Hope you have alot of fun catching mullet.

Josh

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

You are not doing anything wrong, just keep out the water, you might get drowned doing daft things like that.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Try freelining bread as mentioned on lighter line and keep out of sight. They may still spit out the bait, so try watching if you can and strike when you see the fish take the bait.

....or try a #6 fly outfit and a brown or green nymph.

They usually just look at it and refuse, but sometimes, just SOMETIMES, they mouth it.

If so, on a fly oufit, you have meltdown!

The nearest thing to bonefish (fightwise) that we have in the UK

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

....or try a #6 fly outfit and a brown or green nymph.

The nearest thing to bonefish (fightwise) that we have in the UK

The thick lipped grey mullet is probably the best fighting fish found in the UK in fresh or salt water. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote