Smoking ban, part 2?

gozzer

Smoking is great, I flipping love it, me.

Unfortunately it does not love me and I quit some time ago. I have come to realise that everyone who smokes wishes they didn't. If there was a pill you could buy for ten quid that would put you back to the non-addictive state you were in before you ever had your first fag, every smoker would buy it. Unfortunately no such pill exists and nicotine addiction is extremely powerful and there's always tomorrow....I'll give up tomorrow.

I have every sympathy for smokers.

But smoking in cars is just one more way to distract drivers. Everyone who drives a car should ride a motorbike for five years before they drive a car. I was an every day biker well into my forties and I can tell you from personal experience that the less time car drivers spend being distracted and the more time spent concentrating on the road ahead means a lot less dead bikers.

I could murder a fag sometimes! But never will again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has smoked, or lived with someone who smokes, knows that someone who is desperate for a fag gets impatient, bad tempered and less rational.

Has there ever been a better argument for giving up smoking?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I still say, as a non-smoker myself, the government (if they are genuine about cleaning up the air) they have other issues beside smoking. There are a lot of people dying of lung cancer that are non-smokers, WHY?

to stop people having a fag when having a pint to have "clean" air, and then come out into the road and breathe smoke and fuel fumes, is just plain silly!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Has there ever been a better argument for giving up smoking?

There are better reasons, but the monkey on your back is certainly a good one. That's up to the individual, though. None of nanny's business.

I still say, as a non-smoker myself, the government (if they are genuine about cleaning up the air) they have other issues beside smoking. There are a lot of people dying of lung cancer that are non-smokers, WHY?

to stop people having a fag when having a pint to have "clean" air, and then come out into the road and breathe smoke and fuel fumes, is just plain silly!

There are not many people dying of lung cancer that don't smoke.

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/pdfs/fact05.pdf

The smoking ban has nothing to do with people having "clean air" whilst they have a pint.

The bar is the workplace to the staff and under Health and Safety legislation the workers are entitled to clean air in the workplace. If the employer failed to provide clean non-polluted air quality and the employee could show that their health suffered as a result, they could sue the company for millions.

It is an A*** covering exercise. and nothing more.

As an aside, since the smoking ban in Scotland the pubs have become much more pleasant places to visit :thumbs:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

There are better reasons, but the monkey on your back is certainly a good one. That's up to the individual, though. None of nanny's business.
QUITE!!!! Well said that man!!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

So why does the nanny criminalise Heroin, Crack cocaine, Cocaine, Ecstasy, amphetamine and lots of other substances. That should surely be up to the individual. :unsure:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman; yes, about right. As a point of principle, what people do to their own bodies is their own business. As a point of practicality, prohibition has never worked, it just makes criminals rich.

It's a different debate, and if we go into it I expect it will sidetrack this thread, but that's where I stand on it.

Of course the pubs are more pleasant to visit, there are fewer people in them, (unless you count the mad rush in and out to have a fag). Those that haven't closed, that is. The staff that have lost their jobs could always work in the off licences or supermarkets, where drink related trade is on the increase. (Or they could join the 'smoke patrol officers' that are due to start in my area, as soon as the ban starts down here).

This propose ban is supposed to be about the dangers of distracting drivers whilst smoking.

On a list of potential distractions to motorists, smoking comes way down the list.

Just look at the mind blowing array of signs in a city centre. The information and directions displayed at junctions and roundabouts. Add to these, the adverts for every local fair, boot sale, gala etc. Look at the signs partially obscured by foliage, or other signs, which cause some brake, and risk a 'shunt from behind.

All these are supposed to help, but take the drivers mind off the road in front.

I smoke when I drive, but not when I'm doing 70+ down the motorway. If roadworks or jams, cause me to slow down, then I usually do light a cig.

One thing about smoking in cars, is that the ashtray is usually in the centre of the car, this means either swapping hands to extinguish it, (I'm right handed), or dropping it out of the window, (after making sure it won't hit anyone). I haven't seen one of those ashtrays you can fix firmly to the right side of the dash' for ages.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John