Decline of the Burbot

Chris Plumb

I wonder whether they like crayfish?

I remember references to the AT "prize" being mentioned in the paper in the 70's whenever there was mention of someone catching a supposedly unidentified fish from a fenland river.

I also have a vague memory of a plan to re-introduce Burbot from Sweden being vetoed by the then equivalent of the EA.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

What temperature range will burbot thrive in?

4-18ºC according to Fishbase - also says they eat crayfish - can we have some in the Kennet please!

C.

• Like 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

A sack full for me as well please

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I wonder whether they like crayfish?

I remember references to the AT "prize" being mentioned in the paper in the 70's whenever there was mention of someone catching a supposedly unidentified fish from a fenland river.

I also have a vague memory of a plan to re-introduce Burbot from Sweden being vetoed by the then equivalent of the EA.

More recently than that (within the last decade) a college in Melton Mowbray obtained some to study their needs, Ian Wellby (now IFM training chair) was involved in it, don't think anything came out of it.

Pork n burbot pie could catch on with the right advertising

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

4-18ºC according to Fishbase - also says they eat crayfish - can we have some in the Kennet please!

Just wondering how long Southern England will stay a potential habitat for them if we have increasing temperatures due to climate change.

I think it's likely that the only places now suitable for them in the UK are outside their former range, so that'd be a non-starter. Maybe some of the recovering rivers in the East Mids., but the species isn't globally threatened, it'd be expensive and of dubious value to reintroduce them in a financial resource-poor environment where the whole lot could be done in by a couple of pump failures at sewage farms or unwanted pesticides being dumped in a land drain by a 13-fingered farmer somewhere.

Just the kind of thing the top bods and marketing tools at the EA might go for as a distraction from what's taking place elsewhere, until it loses its PR value and then they'll just pull the funding.

Reintroduction to Scottish rivers would probably spark furious correspondence in Trout & Salmon from assorted Maj (rtd) on the basis that anything which is not a salmon is going to ruin the salmon fishing!

• Like 2