week long residential charters

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi

A mate of mine has hit on an interesting idea and I was wondering what you all would make of it?

He plans to buy a fully working 70 foot trawler and convert it to a luxury cruiser, complete with up to 8 seperate cabins, all mod cons includings showers, kitchen, dining / living room, bar and until I got involved, he was going to use it just for himself. I could not let him stop there...

Now he plans to get the full licence and run it as a charter boat, (he's doing his own master cert exams but I persuaded him of the need for an ex commercial skipper who knows the area, marks etc. to which is added a chef and a mate or two to allow for the fully catered service) but the idea is that he will take you out for a week (or more) at a time - maybe even round trips, say from the southern Irish or UK ports. Collect and drop at a port of your choice for a group of eight anglers.

It would open up lots of possibilities, fishing at night in deep water for 1000 lb bluntnose sharks, albacore and swordfish in the Irish box off Cork... and no distractions from the fishing unless you wanted to head ashore somewhere...

Personally I think its a great idea that needs the corners knocked off it. Thanks in advance for any and all comments, criticisms, warnings etc. ...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a charter boat fishing out of whitby that does just that http://www.chieftaincharters.com

it is licensed for 120miles has accomadation on board and when at sea you fish untill you need to sleep then get up and carry on.try talking to the owners they may be able to give you some help/advice,good luck in your venture what ever the outcome ,nice to see people making a change from the norm!

[ 15. November 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: fudd ]

Thanks guys...

I have looked at Cheiftain and its a big boat!

Pricey too, and whilst we are still at the planning stage, checking on insurance and a million other things, Eamonn reckons a week aboard would cost around 700 Euro, or 500 sterling.

How does that sound? He would offer shorter trips too, possibly down to as little as 24 hour hops.

BTW, it would operate off the south coast, picking and dropping at the bigger ports in the UK and from Wexford to Shannon depending on transport...

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

There`s a boat for sale at Weymouth?

Skipper tried live aboard charters. It was a flop! He even had a chef on board for meals.

Seems that folk got fed up with each others farts and burps, after a few days afloat?

The crew wanted to go to the pub, each evening. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Do a google search for long range fishing charters and you will find quite a bit of information. I imagine many of the outfits that do this sort of thing could offer advice and especially since you would not be competing with them for the same business.

The same boat could be used for outings that were not primarily fishing but 'nature watching' as well. Not sure what you have over there but the sort of thing that over here would include whale watching and dive trips.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've had the experience of sharing the same hotel as some anglers on here,....and that was plenty, never mind sharing the same boat..... :D:rolleyes::D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Yep, spasor hit the nail on the head. The attraction of the 3& 5 day channel islands trips is the ability to do a bit of fishing and mainly go on the beer away from the missus all week. Of course, there are hardcore anglers that take things seriously, but there aren't that many of those. I see loads of these CI charters missing the best bits of the tide because the anglers don't want to make the extra effort and get up a bit early, mainly due to hangovers. Liveaboard dive charters are more prolific, perhaps it would be best to ask on the dive messageboards? Having said all that, a 70ft boat is expensive to run, and the liveabord trips are not really exploited in the UK, so there could be a market for them. He would have to be licensed though, there's no way you could say that 5 days of fish was for 'personal consumption'.

[ 16. November 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com