That little old thing called climate change

Hi Newt. When I was in the Merchant Marine we used to go to Norfolk (actually I think it was Hampton Roads) for coal. I kinda liked the place or what I remember of it. I think the nicest port I ever visited was in the US of A, and that was Savanna, GA. Real nice folks, very clean city for a port, loads of good bars and shops real close to the berths. Loved it.

so you started it off :clap:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably was Hampton Roads or possibly Portsmouth/Newport News area. I've been back since and the place isn't really that bad but in the 60s it was not unusual to see people with a sign in their yard, "Sailors and Dogs keep off my grass".

The navy would occasionally pay us in cash using $2 bills or silver $1 (both legal tender but slightly unusual) so the local merchants could be reminded how much money we poured into the local economy.

I prefer Savanah myself.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Probably was Hampton Roads or possibly Portsmouth/Newport News area. I've been back since and the place isn't really that bad but in the 60s it was not unusual to see people with a sign in their yard, "Sailors and Dogs keep off my grass".

The navy would occasionally pay us in cash using $2 bills or silver $1 (both legal tender but slightly unusual) so the local merchants could be reminded how much money we poured into the local economy.

I prefer Savanah myself.

I remember getting both of those as change there. I don't think I saw a $2 bill anywhere else. Now I know why.

And I agree, Savannah is 'cool' as they say.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It's a tadge on the damp side out there this morning :rolleyes: wouldn't like to put it down to global warming, but the weather does appear to be on the change, this is the third year in a row that we have experienced unseasonal wet weather in June and it looks to continue into July.

I think you will find a dramatic increase in the price of property which is not on a potential flood plane and a drop in prices on those at risk however low that might appear currently.

Many years ago an engineering paper was produced over concerns relating to earth coffer dams, many were reinforced and the levels lifted, looking at the pictures on the BBC this morning the design of the dam does look very questionable with the run off actually passing across the face of the dam, once that was breached the water is washing away the front of the dam. :rolleyes:

Not much hope of dropping the level of the water with those pumps, it is a complete waste of time.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

you would think the people in charge would sandbag the damaged bit bringing the water back into the sluice ,its obvious to me that the sluice was blocked or faulty making the overspill scour out the dam

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Normally on earth dams the sluice runs at right angles to the dam taking the water away from the face not across the face. Had they installed a sluice gates which could be opened according to water levels it would have also helped, they are not expensive options and with all that's at stake a very cheap alternative to a disaster.

I still cannot understand how they got away with the dam in it's present condition, falls well below the standards adopted for safety.

As you say sand bagging where the errosion has taken place would be the obvious way to go, they have dropped some large rock which would now form a base.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• 2 weeks later...
Mars is experiencing Global warming similar to the Earth as well, tell me Ken, How much industry and how many vehicles are there on that planet?

The Earth is warming up because the Sun is very active , the temperature of the Earth is governed by the Sun not mankind.

Apparently this is not so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6290228.stm

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Apparently this is not so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6290228.stm

Nice to have some more support for what I posted way back on message #3:

"The conventional theory is that climate changes on Mars can be explained primarily by small alterations in the planet's orbit and tilt, not by changes in the sun."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...rs-warming.html

:thumbs:

Edited by DavyR

interestingly on the graphs shown the lowest point of the cosmic ray output graph in about 1987 also corresponds with a slight decrease in the temperature on the global warming graph. probably just a glich in the figures but interesting anyway.

DavyR do you know if the earth suffers from the same sort of tilts and changes in orbit as mars?

Edited by snakey1

Nice to have some more support for what I posted way back on message #3:

"The conventional theory is that climate changes on Mars can be explained primarily by small alterations in the planet's orbit and tilt, not by changes in the sun."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...rs-warming.html

:thumbs:

I think that some people will only cotton on when it starts to hit them hard in their pockets. When folks cannot get any flood insurance for their house or when the house that a few years ago was worth a lot of money is now wortless because nobody wants to live in a desert.

There also seems to be a lot of folks who are more or less 'scientifically illiterate'. They don't seem to realise that there are no scientific theories that are written in stone, if a theory no longer fits the observable facts, then it gets chucked out and we look for a new one. I am not a scientist, but I like to think that I apply the scientific method to my 'world view'. If someone finds evidence that challenges my world view I would like to think that I would change my opinion and not just make the logical fallacy of saying 'I can't undesrstand this, so therefore it can't be true" attitude that is so prevalent these days.