Anglers charged under Terrorism Laws

Leon Roskilly

I have only flicked through this thread, but....

surely the case is going to get laughed out of court? Probably highlighted in the mainstream press/TV?

Yes, the authorities can arrest people under the Terrorism Act, but they still have to prove intent! These guys only had one intent, surely....to hook a fish or two! If that's an offence, then I'm a serial offender!!!!!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

If we were a target we would have had an attack by now.

I think we may be a target in the future though

Are you seriously suggesting that Britain has never been subjected to terrorist attacks? 30 years ago we learned to fear any unattended briefcases, suitcases, parcels, sports holdalls and anything else that concealed their contents.

Remember Canary Wharf, the Birmingham Pub and many other similar attacks?

On my recent visit to the UK I noticed that in many public places, there are no longer any rubbish bins, obviously because of their ability to contain and conceal dangerous packages.

I guess all of us whether in Britain, the US and even Australia have had to forego the right to enter some places we used to visit. It is certainly true of Australia, I know that from experience.

However, I will say that access to most places here and in the UK is much easier than in many parts of the world and the reason for any exclusion is stated. Furthermore if you do stray in to such areas you are likely to be apprehended in a reasonable manner without having the barrel of an AK 47 pushed in to your face.

Although because of terrorism some freedom might be eroded, it is only if terrorism is beaten that any freedom will remain.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I will reitterate what I have already said. Feelings are running high. Kirbyjohn, you say you are giving facts, can you substantiate them?

I am not calling these two guys terrorists BUT don't you think REAL terrorists are going say pretty much what you have posted.

I say again that if these guys had been terrorists and set an explosion that caused loss of life, the very people that are defending the anglers would be baying for the blood of the people who had this "security lapse".

Please remember that not all people are anglers and see things the way we do. To us they were merely going fishing, to non anglers there was two suspicious characters taking photos .

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Not directly relevant I know, but might be of relevant interest (especially the bits dealing with site security):

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/medway/conduct.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Leon,

Excellent stuff.

You can only respect and admire people who go about their sport with such care.

Better to try and work with people regarding security and other issues, than try to be a smart arse and dodge the issues.

Then start stamping your feet pleading victimisation.

Fishing from piers, breakwaters, is also under threat of being stopped.

Mainly due to ignorance of SOME so called fisherman.

The ones that sprawl tackle everywhere, leave litter, discard old line, leave hooks on the ground,cast leads without care etc.

Need to clean up our act in many areas.

All this stuff about standing up and be counted,

better we clean up our act first.

YY

Guest jay_con

Im sure your right elton. Just like most of my fish. I think they will get off the hook.

Chevin, I really feel that if at present we were the main target something would have happened by now. Ok london has no waste bins, armed police and concrete barricades. But what about leeds?, sheffield or some of the smaller towns and cities, even very small towns could be easily targeted. What about liverpool docks, weve just learnt how easy it is to get in there. Terrorists could cause a lot of problems without targeting our capital.

Hi Kleinboet.

You are slightly missing the main point, If you approached the main gate at Seaforth in a black cab you would be waved through, if the police paid any attention to you at all. You are then inside the dock estate and free to roam anywhere and get up to anything. This is true, this is how the lads got to the alex wall that night. However if you have fishing tackle, (and incidently we all wear high vis clothing in accordance with the Dock board request of several years ago so we are very visible )you are not allowed in. It is this situation which is so ridiculous. I can substantiate all I said through first hand knowledge.

when you saw only one set of footprints in the sand my son, it was then I'd nipped off for a pint