Rock & Chips

Elton

It's amazing how different people perceive the taste or lack of it in fish. I would have said exactly the opposite as you Barry, regarding pollack. To me it comes a fair way second to cod and a long way behind haddock for taste. IMHO wrasse is only worth considering as a filler in stews where the flavour comes from the other ingredients. It is virtually tasteless and bony as a very bony thing indeed. There is no firmness or flakiness to the flesh either.

Getting back to Rock and chips. I caught a couple of smoothhound a while back and kept one for eating. I offered some to my mother-in-law and she nearly had my arm off! She loves a bit of rock eel, as they used to call it when she was a youngster in Essex.

Thanks for that Puffin, Totally jealous where you live mate. I do have a lot of fish pies with pollack, capers eggs cheese etc and i could eat it every day. I realise it's personall taste but i prefer to take pollack than cod.

Smoothound, the same as bull huss etc. I think are brill to eat. Based on the posts regarding wrass, i think i might just put them back Cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Puffin, Totally jealous where you live mate. I do have a lot of fish pies with pollack, capers eggs cheese etc and i could eat it every day. I realise it's personall taste but i prefer to take pollack than cod.

Smoothound, the same as bull huss etc. I think are brill to eat. Based on the posts regarding wrass, i think i might just put them back Cheers.

Yes Barry, I'm lucky living here, for sure. Many years ago I lived in your neck of the woods, at Walderslade.

I don't mind pollack, especially fillets off a 4lbs plus fish. It hot-smokes quite well after salting it for 4-5 hours to draw some of the moisture out, then rinse the salt off and pat dry with kitchen paper. Salting also improves the texture before coating pollack fillet in egg then seasoned breadcrumbs for frying.

As you say, all the doggies are good tasty fish, especially good for a traditional fried fish supper with chips.

Edited by Puffin

Yes Barry, I'm lucky living here, for sure. Many years ago I lived in your neck of the woods, at Walderslade.

I don't mind pollack, especially fillets off a 4lbs plus fish. It hot-smokes quite well after salting it for 4-5 hours to draw some of the moisture out, then rinse the salt off and pat dry with kitchen paper. Salting also improves the texture before coating pollack fillet in egg then seasoned breadcrumbs for frying.

As you say, all the doggies are good tasty fish, especially good for a traditional fried fish supper with chips.

Blimy i did as well.I was a holigan at one stage and lived on the weedswood estate. ugh. Do you think we could do a cookery programe between us.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Blimy i did as well.I was a holigan at one stage and lived on the weedswood estate. ugh. Do you think we could do a cookery programe between us.

Something like the Hairy bikers maybe :lol:

I was the other side of the valley from you at Dargets Wood. We bought one of the old M.O.D. semis in Smith Road.

I do not recommend anyone to eat grey mullet.

Apart from the fact they are tasteless, you do not want Leon camping on your doorstep. :headhurt: :headhurt:

Personally i prefer mullet to bass and most other fish. i'm not sure what mullet you've tried cranfield but the ones i've had certainly weren't tasteless, i guess its just a matter of taste like doggies, some people will not entertain them but i find them great for fish cakes, fish pies and curries.As for mullet i just steam them on their own and they make excellent eating.

all depends where you catch your mullet from......eat the ones that come from a muddy estuary and they will taste .................

eat the ones from the open sea and they are nice.

:clap2: That advice is spot on and it works for most fish. I can tell the difference from a muddy harbour caught flattie to a sandy beach caught flattie easily. All fish tend to absorb flavours from their environment when eating their food. I used to shoot and eat ducks but you didn't eat them if you could help it if they were feeding on the mudflats but the ones shot over barley stubble or barley fed flight ponds were a prize for the table. You could smell the difference when you cleaned them, and it's the same with fish. :yucky:

Edited by Norm B

Posted on behalf of David. Please add all replies to this thread:

Rock turbot is sold here in chipshops and is seacat or seawolf or wolfeel the fish one of The Trawler men held up on the last programe and is one best white fish you can eat.

good hunting

Posted on behalf of David. Please add all replies to this thread:

Rock turbot is sold here in chipshops and is seacat or seawolf or wolfeel the fish one of The Trawler men held up on the last programe and is one best white fish you can eat.

good hunting

Hello Barry,

Dog fish ! You told me you Had never seen one let alone caught one :lol:

I think Smooth hound are full of amonia in season and are worth a swerve Ive never killed one in thirty years of fishing the one I did eat went belly up on me on release, a small 6lb male, dog fish are good Scran I always take a few if they are being caught .

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Hello Barry,

Dog fish ! You told me you Had never seen one let alone caught one :lol:

Excuse me! I have an infinate love of dog fish on the plate that is, as per my post 6 in writing. :P:P:P When we going fishing next.