Rock & Chips

Elton

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to skin a huss, is to cut all the fins off, cut just the skin round the neck and then pull it off towards the tail with a pair of pliers.

If you pull carefully, it will all come off as one piece.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

You don't hear many people refer to the Spurdog, as the Spiny Dogfish nowadays.

Spurdog usually benefits from soaking overnight, to get rid of the ammonia/acidy tang to the flesh.

Hi Cranfield.

To avoid confusion certain species have been renamed in conservation circles throughout Europe

The Spurdog - spiny dogfish

The lsd is now officially known as the lesser catshark as other countries have a different shark known as dogfish

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I appreciate the info, I had read about that.

When anglers talk, it will always be dogfish and spurdog though.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jun 22 2007, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: The humble LSD is very tasty, perhaps we can get Spurs protected and eat LSD's instead. :clap2:

Hi Norm B i havent seen a spurdog on the south coast for donkey's years. I would have a job recognising one unless it jabbed me in the hand.

:clap2: We get a few south of the Nab Tower in the winter, they can be a pest if they're small, they just bite the snoods off. :clap2:

According to the Food Standards Agency:

Dogfish or Flake or Huss or Rigg or Rock Salmon or Rock Eel =

All species of Galeorhinus

All species of Mustelus,

All species of Scyliorhinus,

Galeus melastomus,

Squalus acanthias (L.)

After moving to Newcastle from London, I was surprised not to be able to get rock in chip shops - it was always my fish supper of choice back home!

According to the Food Standards Agency:

Dogfish or Flake or Huss or Rigg or Rock Salmon or Rock Eel =

All species of Galeorhinus

All species of Mustelus,

All species of Scyliorhinus,

Galeus melastomus,

Squalus acanthias (L.)

After moving to Newcastle from London, I was surprised not to be able to get rock in chip shops - it was always my fish supper of choice back home!

:clap2: Cod or haddock is the norm here, everything else is special order. I love gurnard and skate but we can't even get it special order. :clap2:

In the dim and distant past, Rock Salmon and Chips was all that was available when I was a youngster.

I really looked forward to it, hopefully followed by a ice cream from Sylvester's in East Road [Cambridge]

Cod was talked of in hushed tones and could occasionally be bought from the fish and chip vans in Gt Yarmouth.

Those were the days!!

Colin

my old man loved it ,i thought it too sweet.

he also bought after every millwall home game a pint of shrimps and one of winkles from a street vendor near the ground,shrimps seem to have disappeared from most places to be replaced by equal sized but tasteless prawns.

Saturday evening was bliss for him ,mind you things were different back then and coley was catfood not expensive human food.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson