Kayakfishing Chat - continues

Newt

Hi everyone

Been lurking for a week or so getting info thinking of getting a yak in next few weeks looking at prowler 13 complete noob wont be doing much fishing till i get hang of it just wondering about clothing have got non breathable dry suit and wet suits (if I can still get in them)from when I waterskied will use these to practice in,What was wanting to know is has any body tried a floatation suit fo cold weather use or would it be to restrictive.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Yakity, looks like the weather might be decent at the weekend - are you still up for this plaice chasing lark you were on about? If so could I take a run down and we go for paddle with the spoons out? Or drift with a big long string of bait?

Would love to actually get some fishing in - really starting to hurt now it has been so long!

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Welcome ***oLLy***. Can't help with your question but did want to say hello.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Chris,

What a superstar, great links.

Hi Olly and Nifty welcome aboard HMS funnyfarm .

I didnt know Vaseline affects rubber sorry Speciman please ignore the advice I gave to you earlier about the hatch seal.

The bit that does worry me is the fact that the melting point of the plastic is so close to the burning point, the last thing I want is the yak looking like a bar of Aero so i will get plenty of practice in. now where did I put the kids toys

http://www.malcomheatguns.com/product.php?id=2

Ouch I dont think she who must be obeyed will agree

[ 15. March 2005, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

HI Olly, welcome to AN :) . Quite a few yakkers here now :)

Prowler, that gun looks amazing but thats some price :(. I did come across a sort of soldering iron for yak repairs but I've lost the link. The soldering head was shaped in such a way as to get heat just where the plastic welding needed it. Im sure it was American as usual.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Firstly I should learn to read....and look in the right place...doh :rolleyes:

http://www.oceankayak.com/repair.html :cool:

Oky doky, just got off the landline to the retailers and claims that someone makes something similar to a hot glue gun for the welding rod which to be honest with you I would be more confident in using, he is also going to get me the retail price of the "blower" OK sell and weld rods, i'll keep you posted.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi Olly,

re floatation suit.

A floatation suit jacket would be far too restrictive to paddle in and offer little in terms of thermal protection should you fall in.

I have a floatation jacket and trousers and would have been out in my kayak by now if I felt it was suitable.

However, there may be times when wearing the floatation trousers may be ok (in cold weather) providing the rest of your clothing is geared for the water & temperature -- the trousers being a 'bonus' layer which you don't 'need' to rely on. I'd sort out your essential clothing first be it farmer johns, wetsuit, dry top/ bottoms/cag/suit with your choice depending on the temperature of the water you will be paddling above.

I just ordered a dry suit which in itself offers little thermal protection so will layer up inside this suit accordingly. However, to protect the suit from dirty fish bait stains and to add more buoyancy from what my pfd offers I may wear my floatation trousers over my drysuit if conditions are really cold and I am static fishing for a while. My trousers have a very loose fit on the legs & hopefully won't affect the breathability of the dry suit.

However, I will have to test this clothing combo out in a sheltered area... it may turn out that the pfd and floatation trousers supports my body in a dangerous way & that swimming becomes very restrictive (even if paddling isn't).

[ 15. March 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow