why jump ?

carphead07

hi all many times that Ive been fishing and almost every time Ive seen a carp/fish jump now what i would like too no is why do they jump my mate told my that its to clean there gills out :wallbash: and other people have said that its because they like to get a bit of air...

all help is greatly appreciated

mike

mike finlay the carpinator

Well i am not 100% either and i would like to find out too. I know that carp jump more then any other fish. Isn't it to clean them selfs lol or oxeygen??

mysig333323dj5.jpg

i suppose jumping could dislodge gill parasites or body parasites or on the other hand they just maybe having a look at the anglers for entertainment

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i was the one to say it cleans there gills i dont no for certain but it seemed logical or unless they want to tease us ...

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Mainly to dislodgr parasites or clean mud from the gills.That said in high dissolved oxygen conditions I (and several eminent fiseries experts) believe it could be down to sheer exuberance!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Brumagem Phil

I think budgie is right, but I'm not sure thats the whole story. There is a vast difference between the amount of jumping between various lakes. I know one lake where I don't recall ever seeing a carp jumping, but others they are at it 24/7.

Now why could that be?

I've seen this debate umpteen times, yet never seen any real agreement on the matter. I think the truth is, we don't really know. Chances are, there are various reasons.

One thing I have noticed, though (and this is backed up by carp fishing friends of mine), is that it is often worth casting a bait to a fish that jumps. I've had a few like that.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hmmmm. So why do they only jump at certain times. Like they jump early hours in the morning.... "sunrise" or in the middle of the night but then you won't see them jumping through the day unless its very, very hot.

mysig333323dj5.jpg

I'm with Elton here - no one knows why they jump. The problem is confounded becasue they jump at different times on different lakes and the sort of jumping varies. On some lakes they chuck themselves clean out of the water, on others it's more of a roll. The only thing that I know is that if they show where I'm fishing then there are at least some carp in the vicinity. That said on my main lake there's no correlation between carp showing over baits and you getting a take :(

Rob.

i suppose jumping could dislodge gill parasites or body parasites or on the other hand they just maybe having a look at the anglers for entertainment

The carp are taking the P**s!

Makes you even more determined to catch one doesn't it?

Our chief weapon is surprise