What Is Angling?

Elton

41 out of 46? What did you do for the other 15? :D

So maths isnt a strong point of yours either them mate? :rolleyes:

angler is what I am. If I never picked up a rod again I would still in my very heart be an angler.

To me there is no such thing as a piece of water without interest. If I see water I have to see into the water. I have to know what is in the water, and if it is at all possible I need to spend time fishing in that water. Whether I catch or not is not the most important factor. It is the fact that I may catch something, and thus see right to the heart of the mystery...

Now that sums it up even better.Nice one Nick.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the number of veiws, I thought that more people would have posted on here. <_<

You've got a good point there nick. I think we all must have a common affinity with water.

You're comments brought back memories of an essay I wrote for an exam in my youth.

In it I described my thoughts on seeing a stretch of water, and compared them with those of a non angler. The main difference I thought was, that a non angler looks at the water, while an angler looks into the water, and sees the effect that the wind, current etc, has on it.

In my teens I worked at the side of the R Aire in the center of Leeds. It was like an open sewer then. But every break time would see me gazing in vain at the water, looking for signs of fish, and imagining how I would fish it if it wasn't so lifeless.

Come on you lot, some more input please.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've always had a love/hate relationship with water - I love being beside it, am not too fond of being on it, and absolutely hate being in it. For me, natural water (preferably a river) is the classic "edge" habitat. These areas are always rich in biodiversity but in no other place than beside water can you experience such a powerful link between two vastly different worlds. Catching fish and returning them again to the water reinforces this link for me - there's no other way it's going to happen, as taking up snorkelling is the last thing I would ever do.

I suppose that fishing for me fills the "God-shaped hole" that is said to exist in all our hearts (even aethesists like myself).

First of all can I pedantic, ( I am whether you like it or not ), can it be called 'Angling'?
I hate the word. I've never been angling in my life, I've always went fishing. I'd rather be known as a fisherman than an angler. Lame word, but that's seldome used north of the border, or on the other side of the pond. Just my two bits worth.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I suppose that fishing for me fills the "God-shaped hole" that is said to exist in all our hearts (even aethesists like myself).
Go out on a clear winters evening, look up and behold our universe. That will fill a hole bigger than any god ever could.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I hate the word. I've never been angling in my life, I've always went fishing. I'd rather be known as a fisherman than an angler. Lame word, but that's seldome used north of the border, or on the other side of the pond. Just my two bits worth.

I'm just the opposite Cory.

To my mind it differentiates between, what I do, and what say, a commercial netsman would do.

Angling is a method of fishing, specifically the practice of catching fish by means of an "angle" (hook). The hook is usually attached by a line to a fishing rod. A bite indicator such as a float is sometimes, but not always, used. Frequently, the rod is outfitted with a fishing reel that functions as a mechanism for storing, retrieving and paying out the line. The hook can be dressed with lures or bait. Generally, angling is thought of, principally, as a method of sport fishing but some commercial fisheries use methods which are quite similar.

Fishing is the activity of hunting for fish by hooking, trapping, or gathering. By extension, the term fishing is applied to pursuing other aquatic animals such as various types of shellfish, squid, octopus, turtles, frogs, and some edible marine invertebrates.

(source Wikipedia)

Maybe it's an English thing cory. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Go out on a clear winters evening, look up and behold our universe. That will fill a hole bigger than any god ever could.

That just scares me! I never feel scared when I'm fishing (well, perhaps once when I hooked and lost the only catfish I've ever been attached to).

Surely "angling" is only used in writing, and is only necessary if the distinction needs to be made - which may or may not be the case depending on context. I never say to my wife "I'm off angling".

Anyway, here's my go...

I really agree with what others have said about water. I find that the most amazing thing is looking at the surface of water and wondering what's beneath. The biggest buzz I always get is seeing a float or rod tip move because of something unknown and unseen down in the depths. Everytime there's a chance it's going to be something special, and the fact that most of the time it isn't makes it so special - it's all about the anticipation.

Water is beautiful - whether it's the dancing reflections of sunlight, or the surrounding trees, banks and sky, or the rare chance I get to see into it - golden gravel banks that descend into whisky coloured holes, or weeds swaying in a current with the sudden revelation that what you thought was merely a shadow turns out to be a fat trout or chub.

Apart from that, there's the thrill of slipping the net under a big fish. Your heart beating, your legs shaking, and the warm sense of acheivement that you've done it; you've presented your tackle with sufficient skill to convince a wily inhabitant of another world; you've played it with strength and caution, and finally see its smooth, shining, heavy shape in your hands.

I feel satisfied after fishing. Whether I've caught something or not, it's almost always a nice day to look back on - away from other people, no cars or news or phone calls; just the quiet and the clouds in the sky and hopefully some sun.

Now I want to go fishing!

Edited by wanzelbin

Tough question to answer without a 10,000 word dissertation. :blink:

Fishing,to me,is something i happen to be doing whilst i am relaxing.

It's not a conscious thing in my case.If i want to relax,i go fishing,i don't think about ,i just go.

The kit is usually in the car so it's not a problem,pick up some bait,doesn't matter what it is.The next thing i know,i'm fishing.

Sometimes it's for a couple of hours,or a full day.

All i know is,when i get back to the "real world" i feel a lot better. :thumbs:

IF IT'S CALLED "COMMON SENSE" WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE IT.