Roger Standen

Vagabond

It is with a very heavy heart that I have to tell you that a fishing mate with whom I have shared so many fantastic angling trips passed away on Monday.

Roger may be known personally to some of you, and as the Editor of the Freshwater Informer to many more.

One of the best coarse anglers I have ever had the privilege of fishing with, his untimely death will leave a great gap for his many friends. His family will of course have their own private grief, which I hope his friends will respect.

I first fished with Roger in the 1960s and over the years have enjoyed his company on the Romney Marsh, on trips to the Hampshire Avon and beyond, and more recently on many projects for the angling paper which he founded - The Freshwater Informer.

I can hardly believe I will hear his infectious laugh no more, nor share the banter which always accompanied our trips together.

All I have is the knowledge, that a few days before his death, which we both knew was inevitable, my account of a recent fishing trip made him laugh. I am glad too, that he achieved his ambition of a 2lb roach recently (and rubbed it in that I have yet to catch one) and that he completed his book "Always Fishing" last year.

That is a suitable epitaph for him - "Always Fishing" which is how I will always remember Roger.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I am deeply saddened by the news, I met Roger on a few occasions and found his wealth of knowledge about fishing in and around Kent and Sussex invaluable.

Always Fishing, already has pride of place on my fishing bookshelves and will now be even more treasured.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing Vagabond.

I know only too well, the 'hole' in your life that the loss of an angling friend can leave. It's like closing a book on a chapter of your life.

I remember reading his articles in the AT years ago. I always felt that I was reading something by an 'ordinary bloke', someone I could relate to, despite his obviously vast knowledge of angling.

For those of you that have never read any of his articles, try

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/introroger.htm

RIP

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This is so, so sad. Roger was another person who gave articles to Anglers' Net, right back in the beginning, without ever asking or expecting anything in return.

As Vagabond says, a true brother of the angle.

Tight lines, Roger.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I heard this sad news thirdhand earlier in the week and debated whether to call Roger's wife, but decided it was better not to.

I'd known Roger for about 15 years from the time he joined the Perchfishers. We fished together on the odd occasion but neither of us like travelling far for our fishing, so talked on the phone a lot more than we met. He'd also done some plumbing work for us, including an emergency call out when our immersion tank burst, despite the distance.

Roger of course was the creator and editor of our excellent and free local fishing paper, Freshwater Informer. He was also an accomplished photographer and a prolific writer.

I'd known Roger had been ill for some time, but not to what extent.

RIP, mate, and both mine and Peggy's sympathies to his family.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Allthough my self and Rodger clashed several times over the years it can not be taken away from him that he was both a very accomplished angler and had angling and in general natures best interests at heart.I found most of his writing to be excellent and a far cry from todays rubbish.Im sure he will be missed.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!